Anyone have a clue what’s on this record surface?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
It didn’t come off with Neil’s Liquinox based solution, nor with AI’s enzyme based cleaner. It almost looks like it’s a discoloration in the vinyl, but I can’t be sure.

IMG_3559.jpeg

@Tony,

Not a clue what it is but consider what the book says in VIII.13 DETRITUS OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN – SPOT CLEANING: addressing various method to try.

Take care,
Neil

Reactions: tony22
@Neil.Antin, can I use 99% IPA for this, is is that concentration too dangerous to the record surface? As for glue, all I have is Titebond III Ultimate and Elmers Glue-All.

Have you looked at it under magnification? It should be pretty easy to tell if it's discolored vinyl or something contaminating the surface.

@Neil.Antin, can I use 99% IPA for this, is is that concentration too dangerous to the record surface? As for glue, all I have is Titebond III Ultimate and Elmers Glue-All.
Tony,

99% IPA is fine to use for spot cleaning. Titebond III Ultimate is not a PVA wood glue - its a polyurethane type glue - TB III Tri-Fold F (titebond.com) - use as your own risk, I make no recommendation. Same for the Elmers Glue-All, no data available to tell exactly what it is. Use of PVA wood glue is not my area of expertise. The wood glues specified in the book have technical data available identifying what they are, and others have used successfully.

Take care,
Neil

Reactions: tony22
@Neil.Antin, the 99% IPA was only marginally effective, and I’m being charitable when I say that. So this morning I covered the offending area with a blob of Titebond Original and stuck a stick on to it. So tomorrow morning I just use the stick and hope the blob of glue comes up with it? No prep of any sort?

So tomorrow morning I just use the stick and hope the blob of glue comes up with it? No prep of any sort?
Tony,

Just remember this a PVA-wood glue -peel. So, when removing, pull so as to peel the glue the from surface.

Take care,
Neil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing