Anyone older in age eventually go from their beloved speakers to headphones instead? Please share!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Sony OGR10 bass heavy,Quilia 010,AKG1000,Akg701Akg340,Hifiman Susvara,He500 hardwired wire world eclipse cable,OG jade
Sennhieser HD800 Sdr,Hd650 Beyer. Dynamics T5p hardwired Black dragon
AudioTechnics ATH2000 hardwired enigma cable
Grado HP1000 HP1 HP2 Hp3,GS1000 prototype,Og RS1 button early OG sr60,HF1,Hf2, GH2
Abyss 1266 Tc ,Audez Mobius
Iems Custom UE11,JHaudio 3a ,shure E500,Yuin GH2
Sold
Senn HEV90./2 he90s Senn HE60
Stax Omega 007
MK1,SRXMK!
Senn HE600
GradoPs-1
Beyer Dt990
Wow, that indeed is a quite sizeable collection! What are your impressions of the 1266TC? I'd love to demo those for a longer amount of time someday.

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
Wow, that indeed is a quite sizeable collection! What are your impressions of the 1266TC? I'd love to demo those for a longer amount of time someday.
I just recently got them, it takes little playing with them by adjusting everything pads ,headband.
I only have used the stock cable ,but have a danacable ultra to try.
The more I listen to them I can see the appeal.I have to play with them more.It takes time to appreciate there Sound
I have been listening more to my 2 channel system lately.
As I type this I am listening to My Wireworld Hard wired He500 /Ibasso DX300 MaxSS.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I have my TC for sale along with the XLR cable and the wooden Abyss headphone stand, I listed it on classifieds on a different forum, if you search my name f208frank and abyss tc via google, can probably find it.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I just recently got them, it takes little playing with them by adjusting everything pads ,headband.
I only have used the stock cable ,but have a danacable ultra to try.
The more I listen to them I can see the appeal.I have to play with them more.It takes time to appreciate there Sound
I have been listening more to my 2 channel system lately.
As I type this I am listening to My Wireworld Hard wired He500 /Ibasso DX300 MaxSS.
My daily is a HiFiMan HE-6SE with an Effect Audio Code 23. Still a solid choice, but the Abyss might be the end of the road..

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Once I moved to my studio apartment, I found that my headphone rig worked the best.

It is a noisy environment with my refrigerator and ac/heater unit being just a few feet away from my system. Add in the constant random noises of my neighbors, and speaker listening becomes a futile quest.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Once I moved to my studio apartment, I found that my headphone rig worked the best.

It is a noisy environment with my refrigerator and ac/heater unit being just a few feet away from my system. Add in the constant random noises of my neighbors, and speaker listening becomes a futile quest.
Understandable, closed-back headphones are great for that. What setup are you running?

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I enjoy headphone listening, a lot. Loud speakers are great too. But listening on a good set of cans certainly can be a very immersive experience. For decades, and long work days, headphone listening helped me focus, tune out of the design room clatter and get a ton of creative work flow happening. And I got to listen to great stuff along the way. Not bad.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Understandable, closed-back headphones are great for that. What setup are you running?
I run a custom built single ended OTL triode tube headphone amp that drives a set of JVC HA-D990 headphones.

I use a Micro Seiki BL-51 turntable with a Grace 707 II tonearm, and a Signet TK7e cartridge.

My phonostage is the best version of a tweaked EAR 834p clone (completely neutral and transparent).

I also use a vintage studio grade analog equalizer to boost/correct the bass of the headphones.

This setup sonically transports me to the studio or live event better than nearly any system that I have heard at any price.

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Any thought on the Feliks Audio Euforia EVO OTL amp? I’m look to it for driving ZMF Atrium closed and Verite open headphones. This would also be a very easy tube roll of 6N13S/6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7/VT231 since I have a ton of NOS variants. Folks on HiFi can websites seem to think they are magic paired together. Twice now I’ve missed Chicago CanJam to get a chance listen in person due to other obligations.

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
Any thought on the Feliks Audio Euforia EVO OTL amp? I’m look to it for driving ZMF Atrium closed and Verite open headphones. This would also be a very easy tube roll of 6N13S/6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7/VT231 since I have a ton of NOS variants. Folks on HiFi can websites seem to think they are magic paired together. Twice now I’ve missed Chicago CanJam to get a chance listen in person due to other obligations.
The euforia is a great match with the Verite Open and focal utopia.

I can't comment on how it pairs with the atrium closed, one Im yet to hear.

As you say there's lots of tubes that can be rolled and even more if you're willing to play with adaptors.

If you can find the euforia ae second hand or on run out/ex demo pricing I'd save the money and go that way over the evo unless you explicitly need the 4 pin XLR output on the evo.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Ran into this thread again, and did not realize I started it. I myself went full on 2 channel and never looked back. It sort of ruined my headphone experience as "it was never enough"

Of course headphones have come a long way and are amazing for what they do.

My personal fave was the Abyss even though timbre on it is so so. I learned a lot about my own preferences via being in the headphone/in eat monitor hobby.

I seem to love defined bass along with realistic timbre for female focals.

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
I went from Quad 57s and Fulton speakers to headphones and never looked back. These days I have a soundstage very much like those speakers - way beyond the headphones, just like it’s supposed to be, ten or twenty feet on the right recordings. And why not? After all, it’s the same signal.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had Stax 009 and Megahertz Guerra tube amp, very good combo, but I sold because never listened because I have a room with 2 system and always listened system and never eaphones

Reactions: djsina2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have to say, there is a teeny adjustment of a few minutes that I need to take going to our headphone system...but once I am in it, I really enjoy it. The qualities between the main system and the headphone system are very very similar in character. The main system is more organic and pure, but the headphone system is close enough for me to really enjoy it.

If family need to concentrate on something while I am working to music, I will go to headphone, and again genuinely do enjoy it while I work as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing