Anyone try the NEW 300B Tubes from Western Electric? Worth the Money? Better or Different than older Ones?

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
@JoeyGun... Yes, mine clink & ping a few times as they warm up. However, my speakers are 104db efficient horns so ANY high frequency noise is very apparent. That being said my Psvane Acme 300B also make the same startup pings and had done so for over a year. Frankly I am very happy with the WE 300B performance thus far and with a 5yr warranty have no worries.

Reactions: christoph

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have some ancient globe 183 and they ping while warming up, as did some of the STC tubes when they were newer. I don't think it means anything It is an adjustment noise while they approach temperature stability.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
All... A bit of an update on my WE-300B pair. So now at about 300 hrs and the sound top to bottom easily bests my Psvane Gold 300B and Psvane Acme 300B tubes. Very open and airy top end, huge soundstage, tight tuneful lower octaves (note I do use class-D for my base system starting at 80Hz) so my system would not be the best reference as to how the WE handles deep base. The midrange, OMG so smooth and balanced with extreme depth of detail. If you are on the fence, jump in the waters is great!

Reactions: JoeyGun

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
$1,450.00 delivered.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI = scroll down to the section on the "new" Western Electric 300B's:

Note the 5 year warranty.

Reactions: bodhisattva

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I just put in 16 WE 300B tubes in my Canary Grand Reference Mono Amps. I under-biased the tubes to break them in for two days and then increased it to about 90% of where they will end up running. Each tube had totally different biasing numbers to start with. I also ordered an extra pair, which I will try in my Lampi Pacific.

I have about 15 hours with them. They are replacing Gold Lion. Early impression....a much deeper bass, hearing more of the instruments especially drums and cymbals, more concert and life-like. Between the new tubes and QSA yellow fuses, I am expecting each day to get a little better.

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
I replaced my Psvane ACME 300B with the WE 300B Rosville tubes 3 days ago. The out of the box impression is that the new tubes are indeed better.The soundstage is better both wide and deep. The midrange is amazing and the imaging is so much better. A great start.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Quad of WE 300bs arrived yesterday.
Using in Lampi B7 MKII DAC -balanced model. BB7C3C38-4C57-4299-840C-0B0E50F9598F.jpeg E3056B04-506A-4ECE-A5F1-876E4696BA83.jpeg
So far -better than a quad of TJ 300b mesh globes I have been using, and still just breaking in. I want to resist the “newest and greatest” hyperbole but…well they just might be.
I got a new Tshirt too. :)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I purchased 16 WE 300 B tubes for my amp. I had one go bad which also resulted in a blown resistor. I have another one that has wide fluctuations in biasing. This is a concern to me, especially for the price. I will say when all were working the sound was way better than my Gold Lions.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I’m sorry to hear that- but the 5 yr warranty helps assuming you get good customer service from WE. I certainly hope you do and please update here.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I’m sorry to hear that- but the 5 yr warranty helps assuming you get good customer service from WE. I certainly hope you do and please update here.
Thankfully, there is the warranty from WE. I am going to send back two tubes. Unfortunately, I had to take my amp in to get repaired and they won't pay for that.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Buying these early on is evidently a bit of a risk.

I'm leaving it for a least a year until they get things settled.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Buying these early on is evidently a bit of a risk.

I'm leaving it for a least a year until they get things settled.

I am not sure why you say that unless you have heard of more failures than the one mentioned here.

Reactions: cpcat

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
There are odd failure reports of just about any of the current production tubes -even from Takatsuki- we are talking vacuum tubes here after all. :)

It‘s riskier to buy used or supposed NOS from eBay IMO, not to mention the fact that true matched quads or even pairs are basically unobtainable that way.

Reactions: dminches

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There are odd failure reports of just about any of the current production tubes -even from Takatsuki- we are talking vacuum tubes here after all. :)

It‘s riskier to buy used or supposed NOS from eBay IMO, not to mention the fact that true matched quads or even pairs are basically unobtainable that way.
Quads I take your point.

Supposed NOS I take your point. They rarely really are unused when they say so on eBay or anywhere else.

However, after decades of using valves/tubes, the best new production ones simply cost more than is justified relative to decent condition NOS tubes. And the best of the new production ones aren't generally better and in a lot of cases can't match the best old production types.

In my experience that's just a fact. I haven't got a new production triode that betters my fave old production efforts. And I have bought quite a few new types. They look prettier for the most part, but they haven't got what it takes to be the best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing