Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://meyersound.com/video/apocalypse-now-final-cut/

Coming up this summer in selected theaters and @ home.

Everything you must know right here.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
This is one of the few movies I'll only watch once every several years. I don't want to waste the experience.
The segment of the movie with the French plantation owners is a definitive example of the surreal, to me.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Heresy! Whoever made that decision should listen for 1 year, to a system containing early solid state driving Thiel CS5s with that unforgiving Vifa aluminum tweeter!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I saw it when it first came out, and the scene where they behead the bull bothered me so much that I haven't rewatched it yet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I saw it when it first came out, and the scene where they behead the bull bothered me so much that I haven't rewatched it yet.

It is a very disturbing scene, I agree.
? https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/55355/the-cow-in-apocalypse-now
_____

Many many many films in Hollywood...Rambo, Robocop, Avengers, Game of Thrones, ... they all have people get killed by guns, by swords, by dragon flames, by lightning, radioactive lasers, rockets, grenades, mines, tanks, missiles, ...you name it. Violence is rampant aplenty, video games included; America love their guns (they just found over one thousand of them in a upper residence in Los Angeles area). War is part of our movie culture (Avengers: Infinity War), sad to say but the reality nonetheless.
We also need to defend ourselves against the invaders, tyrants, dictators, drug lords, violent killers, ...all that bad infested vermin. ...Good cops bad guys.

Ban all the violence and destruction and women exploitation, and that would be a very good thing. It might take a billion years but we all have hope for the people living by then.
With Twitter and Facebook people are starting to wake up.
_____

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut will be released in some select US theaters on August 15.
...And the 4K Blu-ray on August 27.

"The 4-disc UHD Blu-ray includes Apocalypse Now: Final Cut on UHD Blu-ray plus the theatrical cut and extended cut (Redux) on Blu-ray along with lots of bonus material. It will be available on UHD Blu-ray on August 27 for $35. The online digital release will be available on the same day."

4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS TRACK/Sensual Sound enhanced
  • Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola
  • Optional English, Spanish, French, English SDH subtitles for the main feature
  • 4K Blu-ray includes:
    • The Final Cut (183 Minutes)
    • Redux Extended Cut (202 Minutes)
    • Theatrical Version (153 Minutes)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I always found Redux hard going. Some extra scenes felt superfluous. The French Plantations scene, eg.

The original flows in a total dreamscape type feel. Or should that be nightmare?

A close to tripping out as a non user like me will ever get.

Compare the sheer anarchic genius of this film w the CGI infested crap we have to endure today.

FFC, a true visionary.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I always found Redux hard going. Some extra scenes felt superfluous. The French Plantations scene, eg.

The original flows in a total dreamscape type feel. Or should that be nightmare?

A close to tripping out as a non user like me will ever get.

Compare the sheer anarchic genius of this film w the CGI infested crap we have to endure today.

FFC, a true visionary.

Same with good bad ugly the original cut is better the deleted scenes were cut for a reason

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Final Cut as I've said above doesn't include the French Plantation scene, and neither the one where they exchange petrol gas for some time with the bunnies. ...For the choppers I believe.

What is very special here is of course the much improved 4K picture (HDR Dolby Vision), and the Dolby Atmos sound expansion.
Plus, the addition of low sub frequencies (down to 13 Hz), to feel the bass before the action happens. ..."Sensual Sound".
? https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/pos...final-cut-hearing-it-again-for-the-first-time

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Next Tuesday (27th) is the release date for this 4K Blu-ray package (six-disc set).
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-N...65953&creativeASIN=6317864039&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

{The price is right; it's not from Disney; Lionsgate Films}

A brief glimpse from someone ...

"Apocalypse now 4k looks amazing for a movie from 1979, yes 40 years old. I had a look at a few scenes and it looks glorious! I think most people will be happy with the transfer.
The HDR is subtle but the blacks are perfect. Grain haters beware! Lol"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
One of my all time favorites

Martin Sheen IMO has never been the same since he made that film including a heart attack on location.
Steve, Harrison Ford flew in and out for a short period to film his cameo. He commented how he dodged a bullet when he compared to poor old Michael's trial on the film.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Next Tuesday (27th) is the release date for this 4K Blu-ray package (six-disc set).
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-N...65953&creativeASIN=6317864039&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

{The price is right; it's not from Disney; Lionsgate Films}

A brief glimpse from someone ...

"Apocalypse now 4k looks amazing for a movie from 1979, yes 40 years old. I had a look at a few scenes and it looks glorious! I think most people will be happy with the transfer.
The HDR is subtle but the blacks are perfect. Grain haters beware! Lol"
Film grain? Thank you very much. AN was not filmed on a damned Arri Alexa.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This 4K Blu-ray package (Final Cut) comes up next Tuesday, the 27th

? https://meyersound.com/video/apocalypse-now-final-cut/

https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Now-Final-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/6317864039

For a 4K Blu-ray package (6-disc set) of that high caliber (fully loaded with best picture & sound plus special features and all 3 versions included on both 4K and 1080p Blu-ray...Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos) it is generously priced, very.

Some of us are more into the quality story first; it has to be a good movie or everything else simply don't cut it...Final Cut or not.
For some people the quality picture is the most important part, videophiles for the cinematography, the quality 4K picture transfer, all that image jazz.
For some it's the sound quality that counts first and foremost. They invested in premium sound home theaters with the latest and best sound reproduction as the cinema-maker intended, all speakers and subwoofers all around...full fledged Dolby Atmos home theater with seven or nine speakers @ ground level, your or six elevated ceiling speakers, and two minimum to six subwoofers. Sound is not something they are willing to compromise, just no way.
And a film like Apocalypse Now with the majestic music score and The Doors and all the spund effects wouldn't have the same impact without.

Me, it's everything...the complete package...a film that draws you in and don't let go of your attention in every second from start to finish, and when it's over you are still living the experience days, weeks, months, years after. ...A film that makes an impressive impact on your psyche, that has you in awe, that captivates your brain, your heart and your soul deeply. ...The acting.
The music score, the sounds of the jungle, water, etc., are all part of that storyline experience, there is not one ounce of doubt and that goes for 99% of all flicks. Music speaks emotions.
The cinematography, the eyes behind the camera lenses, the movements and angles of the cameras, the lights, the darkness, the contrasts, ...all related to first grade picture quality is what keeps our two eyes glued on the onscreen action and dialog, every little detail from every scene is a communion in the story. For example: Blade Runner 2049 (premium sound & cinematography and picture quality on 4K Blu-ray...the music score included).

I don't know where some of you fit in all of this, I just know that I fit in all of it.
It's just about to be re-experienced on a higher plateau; and in music as in films that's what it's all about for high-end audiophiles and cinemaphiles ... 110% moving emotional story, acting, filmfilm value experience, sound moving experience and moving pictures experience. It's the full package, just like system synergy between a sota linear tracking turntable, the cart, the phono preamp, the amp, the loudspeakers, the AC power cords, the stereo music record album (or mono), the type of music preference (Classical Opera), ...everything perfectly tuned, adjusted, in harmony, not one millimeter of noise, pure radiance, full delivery, better than live.

Full steam ahead, no stops. Microscopically and macroscopically metamorphosis.
The apotheosis of all six human senses.

Reactions: dan31

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'll do a short review sometimes next month after ingesting and digesting it all under a brand new perspective from the Final package.

I'm almost tempted to put my review on Twitter, or on YouTube; but I don't think I will...not yet anyway. No, instead I'll put my review on WBF, that's best, in the Blu-ray movie division...in Atmos/Vision 4K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing