AppleTV X - I am playing with something new

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I am working up a post on the latest gen ATV. What garbarge. Its abhorrent. I will do a post here on what all I have measured and discovered about it. I was hoping maybe I could use it, but, no way, no matter what i do with it its a big step down in pic and sound quality no matter what mods I do.
That's too bad. Perhaps you can consider a custom case...

Reactions: Brucemck2

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Wellll... A new case wont help. WAY to many things wrong with it.

I wont be spending any more time on it as it simply will never get close to the level of performance I can get with the A2169.

See below..

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Edit: I meant a new chassis. I understand that’s a massive commitment that may not be intellectually challenging. The current ATVX should be usable for a while, 10 years, hopefully? Depends on how nicely Apple wants to play with future OS updates. If the iPhone is an indication it should be possible to use the last gen for about 10 years.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
It’s funny how many people are just blindly upgrading assuming ‘if it’s new it must be better’!

EXACTLY.... In this case,,, "upgrading" is a clear downgrade.. I am going to post this vid over on MacRumors which will I am sure cause complete havoc :)

Indeed I think I will be modding the A2169 for a long time yet. I also anticipate that if I run out of new ones, I will be restoring older ones and selling with warranties. I think these might be the best stand alone AV streaming devices ever made. We shall see..

Reactions: Zeotrope

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I have a B-Stock unit that needs a new home. It has a slightly dinged back corner on the leaner. Not visible from the front. Its in perfect shape otherwise and new.

So.. I will let it go for $1750 to the first person who PMs me. Free shipping and it can ship immd.

:)

The b-stock unit has a new home.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I put 6x Stillpoints Ultra Mini under mine: 3x under the PSU and 3x under the ATV. Wow! Noticeable difference to picture and sound! I had rubber/cork 'sandwich' blocks before - complete garbage. The Stillpoints are not cheap, but they do make a noticeable difference!

Wow, great to hear. Its amazing to me that it can still get better. You watch and listen to it thinking "OMG, How can a streaming device look/sound this good" and then you play with HDMI or power cords and it gets significantly better. Its CRAZY there is so much quality in a stream that is so basic. It defies science for me that a 10Mbps stream from places like Pluto can be so drop dead amazing. And now I know feet really matter. That means, vibration really matters. Its crazy, I still get the impression the pic and sound can be even better.

This sure is a interesting project and I really need to work up some sort of study with some blind AB work and get some science going on what is happening. None of these huge changes I landed with these mods can be measured with current testing metrics. In fact the changes should make no difference. HDMI should be the same. But noooooo.... Its all very interesting.

I have ramped up my production capacity. I want to get more of these out there so there is a larger base as I think I want to involve people in a study. Everyone who got one I believe had a AppleTV 4K 2nd gen already and did AB. Many did AB with Oppos too.

I think the interesting aspect of all this is there seems to be some aspect of the human visual perceptual model that is incomplete. Like when science finally linked audio and jitter and we knew jitter mattered to humans and then measured it. SOMETHING needs to be measured and linked up so we know what to measure.

Thanks Zeotrope for testing out feet. I will add that to the list of things clients should explore with it.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
For anyone using an AppleTV, this one is outstanding! Highly recommended.

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
I have read it, have you? I also own one.
What are you getting at? That it's not a good device? That's it's not a "real review"? That you're personally impressed?
Not sure what value your posts add - sorry.
Maybe I’m old school, but I would expect a review to include at least some description of the personal experience from the reviewer with the product. I couldn’t find this in the article. The author of the article himself has also categorized this in the news section of his website instead of the review section, which makes sense to me.

I have no comments regarding the product itself and landed here because of the interesting tear up of the latest Apple TV model.

Low325

May 2, 2021
Okay so, as of this writing, ATVX is still using the “better” ATV is that correct, and those are still available?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Okay so, as of this writing, ATVX is still using the “better” ATV is that correct, and those are still available?
Yes and yes. I ordered one from GTT this morning and he shipped it within an hour.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow, great to hear. Its amazing to me that it can still get better. You watch and listen to it thinking "OMG, How can a streaming device look/sound this good" and then you play with HDMI or power cords and it gets significantly better. Its CRAZY there is so much quality in a stream that is so basic. It defies science for me that a 10Mbps stream from places like Pluto can be so drop dead amazing. And now I know feet really matter. That means, vibration really matters. Its crazy, I still get the impression the pic and sound can be even better.

This sure is a interesting project and I really need to work up some sort of study with some blind AB work and get some science going on what is happening. None of these huge changes I landed with these mods can be measured with current testing metrics. In fact the changes should make no difference. HDMI should be the same. But noooooo.... Its all very interesting.

I have ramped up my production capacity. I want to get more of these out there so there is a larger base as I think I want to involve people in a study. Everyone who got one I believe had a AppleTV 4K 2nd gen already and did AB. Many did AB with Oppos too.

I think the interesting aspect of all this is there seems to be some aspect of the human visual perceptual model that is incomplete. Like when science finally linked audio and jitter and we knew jitter mattered to humans and then measured it. SOMETHING needs to be measured and linked up so we know what to measure.

Thanks Zeotrope for testing out feet. I will add that to the list of things clients should explore with it.
May I ask what is the output voltage for the internal sw mode psu ?

Low325

May 2, 2021
Yes and yes. I ordered one from GTT this morning and he shipped it within an hour.
Thanks! Went ahead and contacted Bill!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing