Aqua Formula - new upgrade, retrofittable!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Plenty for me to take in when I visit soon.

Mar 16, 2019
Installed the new analogue board into the Formula yesterday and initial impressions are that it’s changed the character completely from Italian romance to German teutonicness. I’m hoping a few days/weeks burn in (not the 600hrs please) will bring back some sweetness though I could also play with HQP settings at a later date.

Highlights include; much larger soundstage particularly front to back, increase in dynamics, another drop in noisefloor, and more resolved bass.
Downsides, hopefully temporary; in your face vocals, less organic presentation, not quite as ‘musical’ (more head than heart).

It could also be reacting to the temporary rollerball feet supporting it.

Anyone care to comment on how the first week progresses?

Cheers
Blue58
Just to share my experience.

I have been running in brand new Formula xHD with 2019 update 24x7 for 2 weeks. As expected, it was getting better for that 2 weeks of running in.

Then I went for traveling for 10 days and continued the run in when I was away.
When I was back from Japan (should be around 800 hours of total run in), what I listened was something really special and drastic difference.
It was not just about soundstage getting bigger, more opened sounding, more defined bass. The vocal was brought forward, separation was excellent, the presence was much better and it was like live music playing in front of you.

I believe you will get the ‘organic’ presentation with continuous playing. Not sure how long the analog board needs to run in for the best performance though.

Let’s us know your experience!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, it looks like the upgrade will take yr sound nearly to my level LOL.

Mar 16, 2019

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The aqua Formula xHD receives the Digital / DAC award at RMAF 2019 - International HiFi Press Awards

https://www.audiofest.net/awards/
A number of friends and customer have this dac and are very happy with it. Great sounds for the modest price point, especially when driven by a Taiko server, and is well designed and constructed. The modular build enables easy updates in the future, some by the owner without the cost and downtime of factory shipping, and it is completely reliable. Is a product which I feel comfortable recommending to my customers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing