Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
yes. I would say in general that a dsd file is preferred to a redbook file through the Formula-SGM.....which could be greater care in mastering too. then when you get into higher rez PCM and dsd the results somewhat revert to a bit of a hierarchy of higher rez sourced recordings. with HQ Player dsd or PCM sourced files is not a clear winner on either side as it tends to help them all.

and I am working through a period of settings experimentation right now with HQ Player and Roon relative to the Formula dac specifically so stay tuned.

but regardless of everything that goes into HQ Player, HQ player is set to spit out DXD before going to the Formula I just can't rap my head around how at that point the origin of the file is even relevant as my brain says it should sound the same

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If that is the case, it would be better to get a streaming solution and max out the convenience factor.
An uber spinner system for someone not in love with digital sounds misplaced to me.

Of course, its his choice, but I don't see the logic.

Good morning wisnon,

In digital computer technoloby, I am like apeman. It took me one whole day to figure out how to post a picture in the thread. Extreme plug n play products satisfy my needs. I want to spend my time listening not figuring out how to get music out of a machine. I did mention earlier I had an Aurender playing with various dacs before and I didnt enjoy calling my IT staff every time I listen to it. Thanks to you. Now, everybody knows I am the stupidest person on this forum.

This is whats Best Forum. I have no interest in cheap products. By "cheap" I mean cheap sounding.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Good morning wisnon,

In digital computer technoloby, I am like apeman. It took me one whole day to figure out how to post a picture in the thread. Extreme plug n play products satisfy my needs. I want to spend my time listening not figuring out how to get music out of a machine. I did mention earlier I had an Aurender playing with various dacs before and I didnt enjoy calling my IT staff every time I listen to it. Thanks to you. Now, everybody knows I am the stupidest person on this forum.

This is whats Best Forum. I have no interest in cheap products. By "cheap" I mean cheap sounding.

Tango,

you have many kindred spirits here who avoid technology complications since it's out of their comfort zones. so don't beat yourself up. some of us felt that same way a couple years ago, or maybe 6 months ago, and are moving down the road of getting comfortable. i'm a little way down that road....only a little. it's a process and with products such as an SGM where the support absolutely holds your hand at every step should your choose that way, it's a choice. but there is still a degree of comfort zone spinning digital discs which I respect, and then there is the elegance of selecting files and making playlists and listening to very high rez files which might, and likely will, draw you across the chasm of fear. or maybe not.

in any case, technical knowledge is a whole different thing than loving music and high performance audio, so please enjoy.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'm sure he's getting a lot from his digital front end, CDs of his choice sounding a lot better thru his rig than other combinations
My guess is he's auditioned CH Precision, Soulution and the like before settling on his decision

Yes, I had spent time with Soulution, Berkeley, Ayon, Audionet in my system. Ch Precision and Other brands I mentioned before I listened from someone else systems. I like to reserve my comments only to what I hear in my system.

One thing for sure, I have not heard more details playing music files or disc from other combinations of digital fronts than my JMF/Aqua combo. The ability to retrieve and reveal details from this combo is phenominal. I think you can have neverending arguments about other aspect of sound qualities, but revealing music info everyone can pretty much hear the same. It's not subject to ones preferences.

Have meeting now. Have a good day.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
but regardless of everything that goes into HQ Player, HQ player is set to spit out DXD before going to the Formula I just can't rap my head around how at that point the origin of the file is even relevant as my brain says it should sound the same

Steve,

The difference is that upsampling (which is what HQplayer does) is not the same as a file that was originally recorded at a higher resolution. So not even HQplayer can't make a 16/44 file sound the same as the same recording but properly done in 24/192.

For instance, if the tape was transferred at 24/192, and then downsampled to 16/44 for the CD, that 24/192 file will most likely sound better than the 16/44, and not only through the Formula.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tango,

you have many kindred spirits here who avoid technology complications since it's out of their comfort zones. so don't beat yourself up. some of us felt that same way a couple years ago, or maybe 6 months ago, and are moving down the road of getting comfortable. i'm a little way down that road....only a little. it's a process and with products such as an SGM where the support absolutely holds your hand at every step should your choose that way, it's a choice. but there is still a degree of comfort zone spinning digital discs which I respect, and then there is the elegance of selecting files and making playlists and listening to very high rez files which might, and likely will, draw you across the chasm of fear. or maybe not.

in any case, technical knowledge is a whole different thing than loving music and high performance audio, so please enjoy.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. You once commented that you were able to get better performance using balanced xlr connecting the Formula to your pre. I am using rca at the moment becuase my pre amp was designed singleended. I will try if xlr gives better result in my system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, the consensus 100% is that Formula excels going balanced
It looks like that battleship build of the JMF is paying off for you

Do you have any experience of playing Blu Ray Pure thru the JMF, this function seems to be a unique selling point of the transport, apparently nothing else outputs Blu Ray audio in it's purest form

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Good morning wisnon,

Tango,

There is a lot to be said for all-in-one solutions for streaming. While some of us have the patience (and knowledge) to play with computer-based streaming, It is a far from perfect solution. I can tell you that while I understand computers pretty well I am often frustrated that things don't always work as planned. I may be able to find workarounds but I would rather be listening to music than trying to figure out why HQPlayer cannot find my microRendu. When things work well it is very satisfying but when they don't I do wonder why I don't have a simpler solution. I did own a Aurender but it didn't meet the quality of my PC solution so I have stuck with the latter.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Good morning wisnon,

Tango,

There is a lot to be said for all-in-one solutions for streaming. While some of us have the patience (and knowledge) to play with computer-based streaming, It is a far from perfect solution. I can tell you that while I understand computers pretty well I am often frustrated that things don't always work as planned. I may be able to find workarounds but I would rather be listening to music than trying to figure out why HQPlayer cannot find my microRendu. When things work well it is very satisfying but when they don't I do wonder why I don't have a simpler solution. I did own a Aurender but it didn't meet the quality of my PC solution so I have stuck with the latter.

Stories like these just confirm, once more, my bias away from computer audio and towards simple CD transports. I have witnessed so much complex, complicated and frustrating drama on computer audio over the years that I say, not for me, I'll keep happily spinning CDs, thank you very, very much.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Stories like these just confirm, once more, my bias away from computer audio and towards simple CD transports. I have witnessed so much complex and complicated and frustrating drama on computer audio over the years that I say, not for me, I'll keep happily spinning CDs, thank you very, very much.

I could never go back to spinning CDs. The inconvenience is too great. If I am going to get up from my listening chair to change music I might as well put on a reel or record. I also don't have any place to put enough discs to hold my 10 TBs of music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I could never go back to spinning CDs. The inconvenience is too great. If I am going to get up from my listening chair to change music I might as well put on a reel or record. I also don't have any place to put enough discs to hold my 10 TBs of music.

Exactly my thoughts

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The same as I would never use a pre without a remote

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Exactly my thoughts

i get how you guys feel, and mostly I'm in agreement. and i have over 15 TB's on my server.

however; after having a CD spinner now for a month, and especially now I've got it on the Herzan and it's performance is quite close to my SGM on redbook files, it's nice being able to play a CD when i want to (i have over 3000 on my shelves, about 2/3rds are on my server, and people are always giving me more). and the Aqua remote seamlessly allowing switching on the dac from the transport input to the server input helps ease of use and overcomes the 'getting up and down' issue.

if it took buying a $35k list price spinner I'd not even give it a second thought, but at $8k list price it makes sense to have that option.

my point is that there is room for the right silver disc spinner to make sense and justify a spot even for the dedicated server listener.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The same as I would never use a pre without a remote

Apples versus oranges, IMHO.

But yes, I agree with you - a remote for volume is needed. I often set the volume manually and when I sit to listen I need changing it - even between tracks. Sometimes I miss the Cello Audio Palette, placed on an wheeled tilted cart with its 30 feet ICs, staying near me. Much more "natural" than using a remote.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Stories like these just confirm, once more, my bias away from computer audio and towards simple CD transports. I have witnessed so much complex, complicated and frustrating drama on computer audio over the years that I say, not for me, I'll keep happily spinning CDs, thank you very, very much.

I do not keep the CDs to make exercise, but because they sound significantly better than the files in my system. Probably some day I will find a stable product delivering equal quality that will allow me to replace the CD spinner.

IMHO computer audio is still in the dinosaur age. I have a scanner/printer costing usd 200 on my desk. I put a 10 page document in the feeder, press a button twice and one minute later I have all the files in a folder in my computer. Why don't we have a standard way of doing a similar thing with audio CD's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing