Aqua LinQ

Anyone has experience with the new LinQ network player?

FEATURES
• Proprietary fully-floating hybrid 2-stage Network + FPGA module with proprietary code
• Uncompromising digital interface AQlink PRO (I2S protocol)
• 4 future-proof network protocols (modules). Available now: Roon Ready bridge (RAAT) and UPnP DLNA
• 2 separate low noise C-Core power transformers for network circuitry and digital decoding
• MODULAR DESIGN with upgradeable multi board platform
• High-quality parts
• Input:
n. 1 standard RJ-45 connector for the ETHERNET network
No network configuration is required (DHCP system).
• Outputs:
n. 1 Ethercon RJ-45 connector for the AQlink I2S signal
n. 2 XLR 110 ohm connectors for the dual-AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 384kHz / DSD128 max)
n. 1 XLR 110 ohm connector for the AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz / DSD64 max)
n. 1 BNC 75 ohm connector for the S/PDIF signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
n. 1 RCA connector for the S/PDIF (IEC-60958) signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
• OLED display with user off-selectable illumination
• RC5 IR remote controller (optional)
• Aluminium anti-resonant cabinet with Nextel
• Designed and handmade in Italy LinQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m running Roon from a Mac Mini into my Formula, USB connection.

Could I get rid of the Mini and just use Linq? I saw that the Roon module was discontinued but that people can still use Roon with HQPlayer.

Could I get rid of the Mini and just use Linq? I saw that the Roon module was discontinued but that people can still use Roon with HQPlayer.
Get a Roon Rock NUC powered by a Farad Super 3, way better than a Mac Mini.
I built my own Roon NUC very easy and not expensive.
Plug it to a good Switch and from Switch to LinQ.

If you want to use roon you will still need the Mac mini or something to run the roon server.

The linq with hqcore/hqplayer is only a roon endpoint.

If you want to use roon you will still need the Mac mini or something to run the roon server.

The linq with hqcore/hqplayer is only a roon endpoint.
Yeah, that’s what I figured. Bummer.
I love my Mac Mini, I wouldn’t buy a Nuc.
I was just hoping to remove one part of the chain.

It’s hard for me to justify buying the Linq.

Last edited:

it’s hard for me to justify buying the Linq.
Are you being serious?! You are expecting a pc direct into a DAC to sound the same as a LinQ?

I tried plugging my nuc powered by linear power supply into my Audio GD R7HE MK2 Vs my uPnP LinQ for a laugh and the sound was horrible in comparison.

Are you being serious?! You are expecting a pc direct into a DAC to sound the same as a LinQ?

I tried plugging my nuc powered by linear power supply into my Audio GD R7HE MK2 Vs my uPnP LinQ for a laugh and the sound was horrible in comparison.

I never said that, and it’s not a PC.

I think my system sounds good. I’m just not sure it’s worth $7k? for the Linq, because I’m not sure how much better it would sound.

If you want to loan me your Linq, I’ll let you know.

It’s hard for me to justify buying the Linq.
If you are willing to give up on roon you could look at a linq with the upnp module and stream directly from your mobile or desktop.

I never said that, and it’s not a PC.

I think my system sounds good. I’m just not sure it’s worth $7k? for the Linq, because I’m not sure how much better it would sound.

If you want to loan me your Linq, I’ll let you know.
Can you not get a local dealer to loan you one?

Any pc (personal computer) from apple or otherwise will sound significantly worse than a dedicated streamer.

Whether you can justify the LinQ Vs some other, cheaper streamer is a different story.

I can tell you that my Auralic G2 was only a few percentage points inferior to the LinQ, and those are cheaper if bought used.

I'd suggest trying a decent mid-tier streamer like a G1 or Lumin U2 mini they see if you then hear the difference with something like a LinQ.

Or if you must keep the Mac then get a USB relocker like a Mutec.

If you are willing to give up on roon you could look at a linq with the upnp module and stream directly from your mobile or desktop.
I use Audirvana via a NUC on the same network as my LinQ and it's another option. Sounds better than using something direct like BubbleuPnP to my ears

Audirvana also allows parametric EQ like Roon.

Can you not get a local dealer to loan you one?

Any pc (personal computer) from apple or otherwise will sound significantly worse than a dedicated streamer.

Whether you can justify the LinQ Vs some other, cheaper streamer is a different story.

I can tell you that my Auralic G2 was only a few percentage points inferior to the LinQ, and those are cheaper if bought used.

I'd suggest trying a decent mid-tier streamer like a G1 or Lumin U2 mini they see if you then hear the difference with something like a LinQ.

Or if you must keep the Mac then get a USB relocker like a Mutec.

What is this thing you speak of, “local dealer?” I have no such thing.

Lots of people on the Roon forum are quite happy with the sound quality of their latest Mac Minis with the M2 chip and I doubt they’re all running Formulas. I am happy with the Mini.

I have to say that digital audio is the most confusing thing and I’m a software developer, lol. I write for iOS and my life is quite pleasant, more pleasant than if I wrote for Android or Windows, as I did, at one time.

At some point, I would rather put money into my amp, preamp, and speakers, rather than add another link to the digital audio chain.

Feels like you are post rationalising a decision to not even try a dedicated streamer. In my experience the streamer transport makes as much difference as the DAC. Having a Formula won't compensate for poor transport.

Like I said, at least use a USB relocker if you insist on using a PC.

Feels like you are post rationalising a decision to not even try a dedicated streamer. In my experience the streamer transport makes as much difference as the DAC. Having a Formula won't compensate for poor transport.

Like I said, at least use a USB relocker if you insist on using a PC.

In this hobby, we all meet with the law of diminishing returns when upgrading gear, meaning, the increases in sound quality are small, especially when upgrading components further up the chain.

I was merely trying to think through whether the Linq would be worth it, as I have no easy way to try one without buying one.

Humans are interesting creatures in that they can run simulations of actions in their brains without performing those actions.

I can think of replacing my whole system with a Bluetooth radio, something once suggested to me, and I can reject the idea by thinking back on the sound of Bluetooth radios and comparing their sound to the sound I have in my head from my system.

Now, this is harder to do when thinking of replacing just one component in one’s own system, and trying to figure out the effect.

Your are prone to hyperbole with your statement that some change “sounded horrible,” when most likely, few people would hear the difference.

Perhaps the streamer “transport” makes a huge difference, or perhaps not.

I tried my Auralic G2 using lightening Vs Jriver using my home office PC (definitely NOT audiophile!) and the streams sounded identical, and I have a very resolving system.

Please, can you comment on these two posts?
If I do a logic conclusion there should not be much difference between Linq and your home office PC :cool:
Thx

Matt

Actually, you don't have to forego ROON if you use the LinQ HQplayer modules that ROON hands off to. I run it that way and it sounds excellent IMO.

Actually, you don't have to forego ROON if you use the LinQ HQplayer modules that ROON hands off to. I run it that way and it sounds excellent IMO.
You are correct.

My response was in regards to someone looking to get rid of their Mac meaning which was running roon core

Same here, I have the HQPlayer module and it works extremely well with Roon…

Same here, I have the HQPlayer module and it works extremely well with Roon…
The only issue I ever had with the Linq w HQcore was if I was playing content greater than what the outputs/inputs on the Linq/Formula supported then it would look as though it was playing (and roon was indeed playing to Hqplayer on the Linq) but no sound was coming out as we were working above the outputs/inputs on the boxes.

The solution was to have roon downsample for compatibility but its worth noting the i2s out on the LinQ doesnt match the capabilities of the i2s in on the Formula (or usb) if you do have a library of PGGB'd or upsampled files.

Reactions: rgmd11

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing