Aqua LinQ

Anyone has experience with the new LinQ network player?

FEATURES
• Proprietary fully-floating hybrid 2-stage Network + FPGA module with proprietary code
• Uncompromising digital interface AQlink PRO (I2S protocol)
• 4 future-proof network protocols (modules). Available now: Roon Ready bridge (RAAT) and UPnP DLNA
• 2 separate low noise C-Core power transformers for network circuitry and digital decoding
• MODULAR DESIGN with upgradeable multi board platform
• High-quality parts
• Input:
n. 1 standard RJ-45 connector for the ETHERNET network
No network configuration is required (DHCP system).
• Outputs:
n. 1 Ethercon RJ-45 connector for the AQlink I2S signal
n. 2 XLR 110 ohm connectors for the dual-AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 384kHz / DSD128 max)
n. 1 XLR 110 ohm connector for the AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz / DSD64 max)
n. 1 BNC 75 ohm connector for the S/PDIF signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
n. 1 RCA connector for the S/PDIF (IEC-60958) signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
• OLED display with user off-selectable illumination
• RC5 IR remote controller (optional)
• Aluminium anti-resonant cabinet with Nextel
• Designed and handmade in Italy LinQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the valuable insights. Any other experiences with LinQ Vs other streamers? I have a narrow window before I need to make a decision. And if i do sounds like bocchino rca is the way to go!!!!

I used to have dCS Network Bridge and I replaced it with Aqua LinQ after I replaced the Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC with Aqua Formula xHD Rev2. That is, I used the Formula together with the dCS NB for a while, and then replaced dCS with a LinQ.
LinQ is better, even though I use an SPDIF connection over my Stealth Sextet V14T digital cable, than AQLink I2S.

Has anyone had issues where the linq with the hqcore/naa will just stop playing music and need to be power cycled to play again?

Some files 96khz and 192khz plus the odd other one seem to be able to trigger this.

Linq is new from the dealer and network port is connected to the direct stream network port on an antipodes k30.

If I go to the IP address of the linq/hqcore it tells me hqplayer is up to date - roon is also on the latest version

Thankyou

Has anyone had issues where the linq with the hqcore/naa will just stop playing music and need to be power cycled to play again?

Some files 96khz and 192khz plus the odd other one seem to be able to trigger this.

Linq is new from the dealer and network port is connected to the direct stream network port on an antipodes k30.

If I go to the IP address of the linq/hqcore it tells me hqplayer is up to date - roon is also on the latest version

Thankyou
I have one of the first LinQs and soon afterwards installed the Core module. I had no issues whatsoever. My only complaint was that you can't do much HQPlayer configuring and I doubt the ARM ASIC can handle significant upsampling, one of HQPlayer's biggest benefits for some. Because of this, and because this was not made clear when I bought the module I returned it. I also found my DIY music PC sounded as good if not slightly better than the Core although my Music PC costs considerably more than the module. This takes nothing away from the incredible quality the LinQ delivers. I have previously posted how I bought an Innuos Statement in what I thought would replace my Music PC + LinQ and I was surprised to find out mine was better. The level of clarity and detail + blackest background could not be matched by the Statement.

Thankyou
Just confirming Cristian from Aqua has resolved this one.

Ive just noticed the squeezelite module has been added to the product page as coming soon.

Would anyone know any more information or a rough ETA on this module?

1659940438344.png

Thankyou

PS: I may be late to the party and just never seen this before in which case move along nothing to see here...

Hi

I'm considering buying a Linq with HQplayer modules and had a question, I assume that one is able to access some form of HQplayer control panel yes?

I want to be able to enable DSD upscaling, for example?

Thanks

Hi

I'm considering buying a Linq with HQplayer modules and had a question, I assume that one is able to access some form of HQplayer control panel yes?

I want to be able to enable DSD upscaling, for example?

Thanks
This is the reason I returned the HPQ core module, because if you want to upsample the ARM ASIC wasn't powerful enough to do so, plus there was limited HQP configurability (I recall convolution files would not load, which may now be fixed). But if you don't upsample it is a very good sounding option and a 1 - stop - shop for HQP.

This is the reason I returned the HPQ core module, because if you want to upsample the ARM ASIC wasn't powerful enough to do so, plus there was limited HQP configurability (I recall convolution files would not load, which may now be fixed). But if you don't upsample it is a very good sounding option and a 1 - stop - shop for HQP.
Hi

I forgot that the Linq doesn't have USB output, so I would be connecting my Soekris based DHT tube dac via coaxial, so I would be looking to upsample to 192khz max, using the HQPlayer modules, I imagine that this should be possible surely, since it must be less taxing than DSD upsampling?

EDIT

I'm actually wondering if I go for tue UPNP version and use foobar2000 or Jriver to do the upscaling from my pc. I use parametric EQ on my Aries G2 but I am pretty sure I can add EQ in either foobar or Jriver. The hifi advice review suggests UPNP is very strong on the Linq

Last edited:
Hi

I forgot that the Linq doesn't have USB output, so I would be connecting my Soekris based DHT tube dac via coaxial, so I would be looking to upsample to 192khz max, using the HQPlayer modules, I imagine that this should be possible surely, since it must be less taxing than DSD upsampling?

EDIT

I'm actually wondering if I go for tue UPNP version and use foobar2000 or Jriver to do the upscaling from my pc. I use parametric EQ on my Aries G2 but I am pretty sure I can add EQ in either foobar or Jriver. The hifi advice review suggests UPNP is very strong on the Linq
yes, I would think (and I think I did try upsampling while maintaining file type PCM and DSD) and 2x upsampling or thereabout seem to work fine.

Also, I did what you added / edited, I did upsamping / filters / dither on my music PC -> LinQ which sounded slightly better than the LinQ HPQ NAA + Core. However, over time I have learned that for my setup I find HQP w/o upsampling or any filters to sound best.

I think I will order the UPNP version and borrow the NAA/Core modules and hopefully I prefer the sound of UPNP and save myself 2k cash!

I tried my Auralic G2 using lightening Vs Jriver using my home office PC (definitely NOT audiophile!) and the streams sounded identical, and I have a very resolving system.

Ive just noticed the squeezelite module has been added to the product page as coming soon.

Would anyone know any more information or a rough ETA on this module?

View attachment 96602

Thankyou

PS: I may be late to the party and just never seen this before in which case move along nothing to see here...
I'd like more information on this too! I don't quite understand the need for a squeezelite module over UPNP.

Are any optional modules needed simply to play Qobuz (no Roon needed) through the Aqua LinQ? Or does the basic LinQ device achieve this capability by itself?

Thank you.

You can do that on the basic upnp LinQ via the MConnect HD Player app Ron.
Or even better hook up a basic PC to the same network and use Audirvana to stream Qobuz.

I have the UPNP version and I use the Audirvana android app and Audirvana Studio. £6 per month.

It allows upsampling and parametric EQ, just like my Auralic G2 did, but with superior sound quality.

Who needs Roon!

See screenshot of PCM upsampling.

The reviews I've read suggest Roon+HQP Core is superior to UPNP Mconnect, but I wager UPNP / Audirvana is just as good.

I will probably still buy the HQplayer NAA and Core modules to try at some point, but that's my hunch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-224344.png
    Screenshot_20221002-224344.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm using Roon, Audirvana and LMS (Logitech Media Server) installed on a Mac Mini with Squeezelite & SqueezePlay and can play my entire library as well as stream from Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer. The only thing I'm missing is iPeng for my iPhone so i can control things remotely.

The Logitech/SqueezePlay solution works really well. Granted it is not as polished as Roon or Audirvana but it get the job done and you can't beat the price ... FREE!!! Do bear in mind that iPeng for iOS/Android will run you $8.99. Small price to pay :). and if you're looking for new music to listen to this coming week hit my list: david.com/NAR.html - bookmark the link, i update it regularly

Bit if a rabbit hole but has anyone dabbled with different Ethernet switches in front of the linq and could share any opinions?

Thankyou

Would anyone with the hqcore linq module be open to sharing their preffered hqplayer settings?

I've not dabbled yet

Thankyou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing