BlackTT

Nov 1, 2014
Maribor, Slovenia
Hello everyone,

I am buying used preamp for my XA60.5 and have two options at price about 8K€:

Audio Research Reference 5SE

or

Pass Labs XP-30

Right now I have nice self made tube preamp, but would like to go fully balanced from my Marantz NA-11S1.

Can you share some opinions-diferences between this two preamps and wich would be better for my system...

Thnx & best regards from Slovenia...

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
A lot can be said about using pieces from the same manufacturer. That said, I'm keeping my XP-30

BlackTT

Nov 1, 2014
Maribor, Slovenia
Thank you Bruce B...

Just wondering... Did you hear them side by side?

budda

Mar 29, 2013
Norway
I am very happy with my XP30 :)

BlackTT

Nov 1, 2014
Maribor, Slovenia
I am very happy with my XP30 :)

That is nice to hear budda... Did anyone on this glorious forum had both of these preamps at home...

Now really leaning towards xp-30... No tube troubles... :D

budda

Mar 29, 2013
Norway
No tube troubles and can stay on all time so you don't need warm up time :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That is nice to hear budda... Did anyone on this glorious forum had both of these preamps at home...

Now really leaning towards xp-30... No tube troubles... :D

I had both and both are great preamps. I preferred the Ref 5 with ARC amps but chose the XP30 when I decided to go with Pass Labs amplifiers. I preferred overall performance of the XP30 over the ARC REF5SE and ARC REF40 in combination with Pass amplifiers. I've since changed to the Pass XS pre.

BlackTT

Nov 1, 2014
Maribor, Slovenia
I had both and both are great preamps. I preferred the Ref 5 with ARC amps but chose the XP30 when I decided to go with Pass Labs amplifiers. I preferred overall performance of the XP30 over the ARC REF5SE and ARC REF40 in combination with Pass amplifiers. I've since changed to the Pass XS pre.

Thank you very much for your replay Frank750... I guess that's it then... :D

XS combo must be great... ;)

Did you try some difrent fuses then stock on amps & preamps...

Furutech blue fuse with cryo treatment maybe...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've also owned the Ref 5 and the XP-30.

They are very different beasts. ARC has a 'house' sound that is, to my ears, very elegant, pleasant, but a little white-ish sounding. Very fluffy sound - especially evident on piano.

The XP-30, to my ears, has very little coloration, will produce much better timbre (especially in the bass), but imaging will be little more flat than the Ref 5.

Tubes versus solid state; really depends what type of sound you prefer.

BlackTT

Nov 1, 2014
Maribor, Slovenia
I've also owned the Ref 5 and the XP-30.

They are very different beasts. ARC has a 'house' sound that is, to my ears, very elegant, pleasant, but a little white-ish sounding. Very fluffy sound - especially evident on piano.

The XP-30, to my ears, has very little coloration, will produce much better timbre (especially in the bass), but imaging will be little more flat than the Ref 5.

Tubes versus solid state; really depends what type of sound you prefer.

MadFloyd thanx for your replay... You have really nice setup with Magico S5's... That is on my future list...

I like tube sound but in the long run I wan't to have preamp for life... No troubles...

It's very hard to move stuff in Slovenia for right price... Like you got married, hard to break up... :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing