Archiving vinyl/tape

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been texting with a person who has done years of home recording. He has guided me to a lot of recorders while explaining their plus and minus. In the end he had a salient statement. He has spent years learning how to make a good capture. Its not easy. And it never sounds exactly like the source. I thought it interesting. It seems not that difficult on the surface. But like anything, attention to detail. And everything matters.

I wonder just how different it is. I have never heard a direct 15 ips to 15 ips transfer. Tape to tape has the same output path. Going to digital not only changes the media, the playback equipment is totally different.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have been archiving all my master tapes to DSD128 using the Tascam DA3000. This recorder is a self contained unit that does not require a computer, and records onto either SD cards or CF cards. It excels in DSD, and you should be able to find second hand ones for less than $1000. DSD128 can be converted to 24/176.4 with little loss if you want to do de-hissing and other corrections. The files sound great from my PS Directstream Mk 2 DAC, much better than streaming and often better than commercial downloads.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
@Bruce B
I have been looking at recorders and have a little better understanding of what is going on.
I see the unit can be something such as a Korg that is all in one. As in the copy of the analog source is created and stored on the Korg. I am assuming it is pretty easy to export it to a hard drive.

The other way is a converter that has to connect to a computer and be interfaced with software such as Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Reaper, or Audacity.

I had a pro tools in the past and it was quite complex. I am not a computer type guy and quickly walked away.
Is there a more beginner software that would be easy to connect to say a ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

The easiest software that is out there is called Reaper. There is another called Audacity. It used to be free and there is a lot of on-line support if you need it. I know at one time, Andreas Koch had recording software that you could use with his A/D converters that would record in DSD. As others have said, the best all-in-one is either the Tascam or Korg unit. You could use either one of those units and pull the files into Reaper/Audacity/SoundForge and tweak til your heart out!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think I would like to try a all in one. I have also been told Sound Devices are very good. Would you both still stand behind the Tascam or Korg?

Also, is it that much better to capture in DSD and convert if I have to? My DAC Is 24/192 PCM max.

@garylkoh why are you saying 192.4? Type. I don't know my DAC would play it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing