Arya Audio AirBlades

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's a real understatement, Ron. A new lease of life better sums them up.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
FF4C18F6-46A3-4DF9-B0E7-821FBFA109DA.jpeg
been living with the Arya AirBlades Hype SE for a couple of weeks now, and I concur with what Marc is saying, this is the real deal. I was a bit concerned that it will be a waste of money because my speakers are 106 db and might be too efficient and too fast for the AirBlades. It did not take very long to convince me that my fears are baseless. They totally play louder than the rated efficiency, and as it was explained to me - it is because the sound is dispersed differently due to it’s design.

The effect of these are more noticeable when you remove them than when you add them. one thing I noticed is the more holographic soundstage. when there are a number of singers you can easily identify them no matter how well they are blended in. So with the instruments, a lot more separated and defined. The treble has a lot more detail and bite without being bright.

I had been busy with work since returning from a 2 week vacation and and not played around with placement a lot, which I intend to do. I have tried 1k and 1.5k settings and seem to like the 1.5k setting more.

I chose to use a tripod with a transverse arm with make it easier to make the placement of the tweeters without moving the basement of the tripod, important to me since my space is getting a little crowded.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada

Here a video I did with my Huawei P20.. I think it is not a good video , will try to record a better one when I have time

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Great stuff. It's good to not be alone in the asylum, lol.

Interestingly, they seem to be stellar across a swathe of different installs and with different speakers.

The Gobel Divins on Audio Exotics forum, Howie here with Tannoy Westminsters, me with my Zus, and now you with your horns.

And all of us seem to detect the same upticks.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Cool driver!

It looks like a Heil turned on it's side and curved. Pleated diaphragm and all. I am a little surprised about using stepped 3dB attenuation considering this is a second source where you don't modify your existing system.

Just seems rather course with a typical system over the same frequency range a 1dB change is audible. I would think using 1dB steps would make for better integration with existing systems. With 3 dB I can see not enough and then a little too much.

Rob :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rob, that could be true. For me, it's easier to get the level right than the xover setting.
I could live with 1.5k or 3.5k (currently preferring 3.5k).
In terms of level, 5/5 is too "hot", 4/5 is a sweet spot.
Most noticeable as just the right attack and reverb detail on piano strikes.
Quite how they seamlessly blend with my Zu main drivers that cover 35Hz to 11k is quite something.

Reactions: Robh3606

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
After a lifetime in this hobby humping back-breaking amps etc, it's kinda fun to run Airblades that can be moved effectively with zero effort.
Arthur of Arya Audio, along with member Howie here, suggested I rotate the Airblades so that they're firing down the room with zero toe-in.
Takes literally a second to do, no sweat.
A little early to make any firm conclusions, but my impression is of a much more "filled in" centre image, greater solidity and strength of imaging, again these were all areas that my Zus didn't excel at.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Marc is way ahead of me in terms of experimenting with the airblades and I am now trying them on my Audio Note UK speakers and liking what I hear as I did with the Westminsters. I did ask Arthur whether the AB should be pointed in the same direction as the speakers (which in Audio Note's case are very toed in crossing in front of the listener). Arthur has suggested trying both the same direction and pointing straight so I will see what happens. Another mistake I made initially was connecting the AB to the HF output of the AN speaker crossovers. This post crossover connection meant the AB were not getting the full signal. I had simply presumed that since it is a compartively HF speaker, the AB would be okay with this. Arthur has corrected me and it should either come direct from the amp or from the input connector of the crossover for full effect.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie, my Zus are crossover-less, Arthur advised going from the spkrs terminals, not the amps. And since they extend down to 1k, makes sense not to view them *only* as a HF transducer.
You have a lot of fun and musical insight to experience as you get them right in your system.
So, let me see. Speakers using Airblades successfully...
Tannoy Westminsters, tick.
AN spkrs, tick.
Zus, tick.
Sierra horns, tick.
Goebel Divins, tick.
Cessaro Wagners, tick.
Tidal La Assalouta, tick

I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, my Zus are crossover-less, Arthur advised going from the spkrs terminals, not the amps. And since they extend down to 1k, makes sense not to view them *only* as a HF transducer.
You have a lot of fun and musical insight to experience as you get them right in your system.
So, let me see. Speakers using Airblades successfully...
Tannoy Westminsters, tick.
AN spkrs, tick.
Zus, tick.
Sierra horns, tick.
Goebel Divins, tick.
Cessaro Wagners, tick.
Tidal La Assalouta, tick

I think I'm seeing a pattern here...
Yes, speaker terminals too but as my speakers have no speaker terminals (the speaker cables are hardwired), going from the crossover or amps is an option. Please try them next with your iphone.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes, speaker terminals too but as my speakers have no speaker terminals (the speaker cables are hardwired), going from the crossover or amps is an option. Please try them next with your iphone.
That last sentence...you've got a great SOH, Howie.

Reactions: howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Airblades anywhere in the Munich High End Show? Which room?
Just spoken to Arthur of Arya Audio. The Airblades are part of the WE flagship spkrs, demoed in Hall 4, U02. He'll be there every day to answer any Qs.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're welcome. Six months plus of consistent listening, their positives only grow.

Reactions: Dimfer

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm sure it is already mentioned somewhere, but what efficiency figure to the airblades?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sure it is already mentioned somewhere, but what efficiency figure to the airblades?
Carl, check out post #12 of this thread. My Zus are quoted as 101dB/1m, and the Airblades sound seamless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing