ATC speakers

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I am considering upgrading my speakers. ATC are one of the brands I've been looking into. Has anyone here heard them? The model I'm interested in are the SCM100, which seem like a good match for my large room. I've done a search and only found a couple of references to the SCM150 in the pro speakers thread.

Cheers

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know where Tim has been lately, but if these are powered speakers, I'm sure Tim has an opinion about them that he could share with you.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've heard ATC's many times and each time I left with a headache and ear/nose bleeds!

JVC in Japan uses them in their mastering rooms. Their mastering rooms are more dead acoustically than a Home Theatre!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I own some ATC 20-2 actives and am a big fan. If you go ATC , you should absolutely get the active versions, they're notably better than the passive versions. Among other advantages of active vs passive, ATC actives are time/phase coherent where the passives are not. Pays off in better depth portrayal.

I dont find the better dome tweeters they make to be harsh.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I've heard ATC's many times and each time I left with a headache and ear/nose bleeds!

JVC in Japan uses them in their mastering rooms. Their mastering rooms are more dead acoustically than a Home Theatre!

Bruce, is this something to do with the treble or another issue? :)

I was interested in these after hearing they were used in many mastering studios, including Doug Sax's.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Pink Floyd demo at RAMF 2011 used big powered ATC's. The sound was not impressive to me; somewhat congested and not involving, "sterile" comes to mind?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, is this something to do with the treble or another issue? :)

My feeling is that in any other room, they would be just like any other fatigueing, edgy speaker out there. Even though the rooms were completely dead, I still didn't like the sound.
The 2011 RMAF demo in surround is case in point. Don't think I heard anyone say something good about them!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The Pink Floyd demo at RAMF 2011 used big powered ATC's. The sound was not impressive to me; somewhat congested and not involving, "sterile" comes to mind?

I recall that demo winning several "best of show" awards.

I appreciate the opinions from everyone, good and bad, it's certainly a help. I do intend to audition the speakers myself for a lengthy period before making any decisions :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I recall that demo winning several "best of show" awards.

I appreciate the opinions from everyone, good and bad, it's certainly a help. I do intend to audition the speakers myself for a lengthy period before making any decisions :D

Could be, although I spoke with several reviewers (as Bruce probably did), none of whom cared for it.

Think about the descriptions a little; both edgy and congested, sterile. Not a good combination, but one that could sometimes be mistaken for high fidelity.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Deepak,

I've only listened to the ATC SCM150ASL Pro, which are active loudspeakers. The sources were master tape and a test pressing in a treated room. Based on this experience, I would not hesitate purchasing these speakers on the secondary market, should the right pair at the right price appear on the horizon.

Good hunting :)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I've seen incredible praise of the ATC elsewhere, its surprising to hear people who dislike it here. Has anyone heard the ATC SCM 300 ?

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
I've seen incredible praise of the ATC elsewhere, its surprising to hear people who dislike it here. Has anyone heard the ATC SCM 300 ?
Not heard the 300´s, but I have a pair of active 20´s with the newer tweeter and in my room they sound substantially better than Kii 3´s, Gryphon Mojo 2, and a good few other speakers that I have had or auditioned, they are extremely revealing though, can sound bloody awful and on the flip side absolutely wonderful depending on source material.....

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
ive heard the current ATC 100 actives and the older 50 passives. the 100 actives was much better.

i listened to them in a private session in a large room and all i can say i loved them. love them so much i almost purchased them (came close second).

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
ive heard the current ATC 100 actives and the older 50 passives. the 100 actives was much better.

i listened to them in a private session in a large room and all i can say i loved them. love them so much i almost purchased them (came close second).

The dukes were better?

I wonder if you would like the 150s more..

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Rocoa, have you heard the SCM150 or 300?

I am getting mixed perspectives, some saying they are very detailed and bright, others like this youtuber below saying they are not that detailed/in your face and treble is rolled.

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
The dukes were better?

I wonder if you would like the 150s more..

imo the Dukes are more neutral in the mid range

in regards to the 150s i did consider them at one point but from advice they need a large room which i dont have and they actually dont extend much lower bass. apparently more control in the lower frequencies.

Last edited:

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Rocoa, have you heard the SCM150 or 300?

Hello,

I've enjoyed actives ATC 10, 20, 100 and I've spent hundreds of hours enjoying at home my friend's Pachi listening to his ATC 150 actives and smoking habana cigars in a dedicated big room:).
The 330, I haven't heard them, I'm sorry.
You have to be aware that they need a large room to sound satisfactorily.

About the sound detailed and bright I'm affraid that only that only happens if the source and amplifier are of poor quality or perhaps it's because they've heard them without burn in.
With a good source and preamp are musical, no doubt.

Regards.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
As mentioned they will only sound bright and fatiguing if the source / rest of the system has bad synergy as is the case with any system, ATC speakers are extremely revealing of bad equipment, but if you get it right they are amazing as I have found out after I bought and sold various speakers, amps, sources and cables.

Reactions: jackelsson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing