Atma-Sphere Class D Mono blocks

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I could post a picture of a princess after listening to tubes all day. It probavly would get censored. After all this is a family oriented website. ;)

Reactions: PYP
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
are there any Atma-Sphere dealers in Norway?
I run Powersoft class D from 550 and down and all out BP designed 300B monos from 600 and up on TAD TD-4003 in custom Norwegian CD horn
tried First Watt SIT-1s on 4003, but they didn´t "cut it"
close, but no cigar as we say over here.....ha-ha

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I run Powersoft class D from 550 and down and all out BP designed 300B monos from 600 and up on TAD TD-4003 in custom Norwegian CD horn
according to their website:

Norway​

Loddefjord HiFi
Gamle Mathopsvei 22b
5173 Loddefjord, Norway
mob.phone: +47909 92 551
Kjetil Melvik

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
BP designed 300Bs?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
300B monos designed by my friend Gary Dews of Borderpatrol
Tommy Hörning SATI nanocrystalline interstage and SATI Litzwired nanocrystalline OPT
Those sound cool. What is your opinion of the Horning SATI 520b amp, which uses those same type of transformers?

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
this shop doesn´t exist any longer

Remember seeing in another Atma-Sphere thread that the closest one is in Paris. The reply was a couple of years old Leif, so might be inaccurate today, but given the dead link to Loddefjord hifi it might be correct.

edit. Actually it looks like audioconcept in Sweden sells Atma-Sphere. Remembered an article in Hifi&Musik from november 2022 and found it.

76394FDF-FF9C-4AD3-AA3D-A232911BEC2A.jpeg

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
'Mr. Atma-Sphere'--I was looking for reviews of the A-Ds and ran into someone writing that YOU wrote that these amps require very little burn-in, as in only a day or two? Is that your opinion?

Mine have been running 24/7 since Jan. 24--about 400 hours--and still sound excellent; I guess I can stop that.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
'Mr. Atma-Sphere'--I was looking for reviews of the A-Ds and ran into someone writing that YOU wrote that these amps require very little burn-in, as in only a day or two? Is that your opinion?

Mine have been running 24/7 since Jan. 24--about 400 hours--and still sound excellent; I guess I can stop that.
Initially we did think that they needed less burn in time than our tube amps, but even early on it seemed more than just a couple of days. Feedback from the field suggests that isn't the case- the time seems to be about the same. Given how very different the circuits are, the commonality seems to be filter capacitors in the power supply.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Initially we did think that they needed less burn in time than our tube amps, but even early on it seemed more than just a couple of days. Feedback from the field suggests that isn't the case- the time seems to be about the same. Given how very different the circuits are, the commonality seems to be filter capacitors in the power supply.
...umm..'about the same' as what? Your tubed amps? 'More than just a couple of days'?

Sorry for seeming obtuse, but I don't know what the antecedent of 'about the same' is.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I dropped at my Rex's house Friday with Schitt Freya+ and Starkrimson D amp.

He had listened to Atma D recently at his system.

Alas, I did not bring balanced cable and he does not have any.

Starkrimson D amp.accept only balanced input.

It is 70 minute's drive thus I just enjoyed his system of Pap trio driven by Dartzeel.

Kindly, he let me borrow his Dartzeel to compare with Starkrimson at my home.

He came to my house on Saturday to compare between Starkrimson, Dartzeel 108 and Line Magnetic 508 fitted with vintage tubes.

His conclusion is my Line Magnetic 508 is beyond both Starkrimson, Dartzeel 108 in overall musicality.

He found Starkrimson sound thin compared with Dartzeel 108 although very transparent with lot of details.

When he came, one of tube in Schitt Freya+ got dead, thus I had to use SS balanced buffer.

He is of the opinion that Atma D matches Dartzeel but Starkrimson is not on the same level as Dartzeel 108/

After he left, I replaced dead tube in Schitt Freya+ and with that Starkrimson sounds much more musical

I sent this link to my friend.

He also agreed that it got much better.

I have few more days to listen to Starkrimson but regard it as good value.

Unfortunately, I can not give opinion between Starkrimson and Atma D since there is no dealer of Atma D around Seattle area.

I may have to buy Atma D blind without prior audition although Ralph kindly offer return except shipping expense if not satisfied.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
TYVM; at 400 hours, I'll be finished burning in the Ds.. Have reinstalled the PS Audio M1200s to 'warm them up' a bit before comparing them with the Ds.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
The A-Ds are sounding quite excellent lately.. Compared them with my PS Audio M1200s* with my golden-eared buddy doing the listening; he opined that both were excellent, while the music thru the A-Ds had a little more depth to the soundstage.. I'm thrilled with them and will be selling even more amps soon.

* Both amps thoroughly warmed, level matched, sighted, my regular system...
...driving both.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
The A-Ds are sounding quite excellent lately.. Compared them with my PS Audio M1200s* with my golden-eared buddy doing the listening; he opined that both were excellent, while the music thru the A-Ds had a little more depth.. (I was sitting well off-center so couldn't hear that.) I'm thrilled with them and will be selling even more amps soon.

* Both amps thoroughly warmed, level matched, sighted, my regular system..

Reactions: panhead

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Wow how is it possible that the last active response to this thread was in feb 23?

This is big news, and a few noteworthy observations.

1. I find it pretty crazy and amazing that Ralph is throwing this Class D amp in the mix putting all his legacy work/tube amps at risk of being devalued. This says a lot about his intentions/belief on his new class D.

2. I find it also surprising that so many people are attacking the guy indirectly and directly when he has been nothing but a gentleman when responding. I do not know the guy but come on, give some basic tier respect.

3. Instead of constantly judging something new without listening to it first and speculating to no end, I am going to trial and pair and likely to keep them based on gut feel.

Looking forward to trialing them and updating here. My favorite piece of gear thus far are the playback design dacs, absolutely wonderful. I just got into them recent and I come from the head phone world transitioning into speaker world full on.

My Starkrimson Stereo Ultra amp is touring the US feel free to join in, see here for details:

@thomask participated and ended up making a purchase.

Reactions: PSAF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing