Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Bruce:

i have been archiving my Dad's 40 year old reels with Roland 96/24 WAV recorder, editing in Audacity. The results, in my opinion
have been stunning. A mix of some pre recorded commercial releases and many FM recordings dating back to 1967.

When A/B'd to the original tape they are virtually impossible to tell apart.

Being able to fix channel imbalances, reverse channels, remove noise, do virtual splices, fades, normalize, amplify, and all manner of
fix ups is quite amazing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hey Bruce:

i have been archiving my Dad's 40 year old reels with Roland 96/24 WAV recorder, editing in Audacity. The results, in my opinion
have been stunning. A mix of some pre recorded commercial releases and many FM recordings dating back to 1967.

When A/B'd to the original tape they are virtually impossible to tell apart.

Being able to fix channel imbalances, reverse channels, remove noise, do virtual splices, fades, normalize, amplify, and all manner of
fix ups is quite amazing.

Now just think what those would sound like being transfered from a modified Studer A80RC going into either a Grimm AD1/Sonoma or a Digital Audio Denmark AX24/Pyramix rig.

You can do all sorts of things in the digital domain. I like to keep everything in the analog domain in regards to EQ/Comp/M-S processing...etc. But you get my drift. Just have fun!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I can ONLY imagine!

I agree and would also eq/compress in the analog domain. I actually chose not to EQ these transfers at all, figuring
that the sound of the tape was the sound of the tape, and the idiosyncrocies there of, are part of the charm.

I think tape rules as recording medium, but high rez digital rules as a delivery and playback medium.

Now just think what those would sound like being transfered from a modified Studer A80RC going into either a Grimm AD1/Sonoma or a Digital Audio Denmark AX24/Pyramix rig.

You can do all sorts of things in the digital domain. I like to keep everything in the analog domain in regards to EQ/Comp/M-S processing...etc. But you get my drift. Just have fun!

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I like to keep everything in the analog domain in regards to EQ/Comp/M-S processing...etc. But you get my drift. Just have fun!
In simple terms, Bruce, why you do prefer this way? Do you feel that that type of digital manipulation in some way negatively "distorts" the signal, or on the other hand that the analogue manipulation adds a touch of positive, warming, analogue "distortion"?

Frank

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
In simple terms, Bruce, why you do prefer this way? Do you feel that that type of digital manipulation in some way negatively "distorts" the signal, or on the other hand that the analogue manipulation adds a touch of positive, warming, analogue "distortion"?

Frank

Actually both..... anytime you go from the analog/digital or digital/analog domain there is a degredation. I don't care how good your equipment or software is.

Going through analog equipment can have a "warming" effect, but only if you use that type of analog equipment. I have EQ/Comps that are both on the warm/dark side AND have some in the transparent/clinical side. It's all depends on what flavor you want to inject.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Actually both..... anytime you go from the analog/digital or digital/analog domain there is a degredation. I don't care how good your equipment or software is.

Going through analog equipment can have a "warming" effect, but only if you use that type of analog equipment. I have EQ/Comps that are both on the warm/dark side AND have some in the transparent/clinical side. It's all depends on what flavor you want to inject.
So if you're given a digital master, which requires only a digital end product, would you go to the analogue side at any point, for any correction efforts?

With regard to the analogue EQ'ing gear would you regard it as totally transparent? In other words, if you had an analogue track, ran the signal through the gear with all settings at zero, and compared the output to the master in an ABX test how would that go?

Frank

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So if you're given a digital master, which requires only a digital end product, would you go to the analogue side at any point, for any correction efforts?

With regard to the analogue EQ'ing gear would you regard it as totally transparent? In other words, if you had an analogue track, ran the signal through the gear with all settings at zero, and compared the output to the master in an ABX test how would that go?

Frank

With a digital file, you have to weigh the pro's and con's if a D/A to A/D conversion is worse than what the analog processing can do with the file. With top notch converters, you won't be able to detect a difference during an ABX test.

Running through an EQ such as one by GML or EAR, yes, it's totally transparent during bypass mode.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
With a digital file, you have to weigh the pro's and con's if a D/A to A/D conversion is worse than what the analog processing can do with the file. With top notch converters, you won't be able to detect a difference during an ABX test.

anytime you go from the analog/digital or digital/analog domain there is a degredation. I don't care how good your equipment or software is.
Sorry, Bruce, those two comments seem to contradict each other: which is more "correct"? :b;)

Running through an EQ such as one by GML or EAR, yes, it's totally transparent during bypass mode.
I wasn't talking about bypass mode, which should mean the signal is routed around the active circuitry: I mean for the signal to pass through ALL the circuitry, with settings such that no actual change occurs to the signal, in the normal sense. Zero effective compression, zero effective EQ, etc ...

Frank

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Sorry, Bruce, those two comments seem to contradict each other: which is more "correct"? :b;)

I wasn't talking about bypass mode, which should mean the signal is routed around the active circuitry: I mean for the signal to pass through ALL the circuitry, with settings such that no actual change occurs to the signal, in the normal sense. Zero effective compression, zero effective EQ, etc ...

Frank

Yes, everytime you go through any digital conversion, you get degradation. You have to determine if the degradation is worth what you will gain from going through analog processing. If you can keep it in the digital domain, more then better, but there is something that analog can do that digital can't. Look at all the tape emulation plugins. They are close, but nothing near what you can gain by going through the real thing. Same with EQ's and Comp's. You have to determine what compromise is the lesser evil.

Yes, keeping everything flat in the EQ and Comp, yes it's transparent. Not so with EQ's and Comps by Manley, Tube Tech, Sontec....etc...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Look at all the tape emulation plugins. They are close, but nothing near what you can gain by going through the real thing. Same with EQ's and Comp's.
So in what way do they "fail"? I can understand tape emulation not being "perfectly" mimiced, because you have physical variability in the tape transport and recording/playback mechanism creating all sorts of subtleties in the sound, but EQ's?

Let's say we have masters in the digital and analogue realm which match in an ABX. Put analogue throught the analogue EQ, digital through the digital EQ to do the identicals mod's, you say there would be a difference. What would that be?

Frank

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The main difference is the analog equipment adds harmonics... the digital emulations don't, unless they were written that way (ie... Crane Song Phoenix).

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The main difference is the analog equipment adds harmonics... the digital emulations don't, unless they were written that way (ie... Crane Song Phoenix).
So, in a nutshell, the analogue EQ'ing "distorts" the signal in a musically pleasant, appealing way, which can also be achieved in the digital domain if the software is set up to add that extra manipulation ...

Frank

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So, in a nutshell, the analogue EQ'ing "distorts" the signal in a musically pleasant, appealing way, which can also be achieved in the digital domain if the software is set up to add that extra manipulation ...

Frank

Correct

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing