Audio cable: I dont understand

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
I purchased a used Moon Blue Dragon audio cable to connect my HD660 to my Monolith amp/dac. It has a XRL connector and the 2 standard Sennheiser connecters. But the Blue Moon cable is only used from the yolk to the XLR while they seemed to use stock cable (half the diameter of the Blue Dragon) from the yolk to the headphone connectors. The owner at Moon ghosted me after I mentioned it was a used cable. If a section of Blue Dragon was sliced to a section of the connector cables then how can it maintain integrity and maintain the benefits of the twice as thick Blue Dragon cable. Doesn't make sense to me. What am I messing in my logic?

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
So, you think the cable is compromised and that I'm not getting full benefit of the BLue Dragon. Here is a photo IMG_0127.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Most Cables are not about logic in the high end audio industry .
Its something one needs to get used too . :)
I think its more a visual /mental game

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
Dont mean to make a big deal of this, but I just don't understand why the blue cables are twice as thick as the black cable. Why didnt they just use blue dragon cable for the entire cable?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Did you ask the manufacturer?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For what its worth we bought a Cardas cable to connect from the headphone amp to the Sennheiser HD650. And it looks like yours. the minute you split the main cable in order to go to 2 cables (1 to each ear), then I think what is happening is that each shielded cable inside the main cable comes out so one can go LEFT and one can go RIGHT. I am not techie, but your photo does not strike as super unusual though I admit I have not scrutinized...I have only glanced at it and then looked at our Cardas.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I purchased a used Moon Blue Dragon audio cable to connect my HD660 to my Monolith amp/dac. It has a XRL connector and the 2 standard Sennheiser connecters. But the Blue Moon cable is only used from the yolk to the XLR while they seemed to use stock cable (half the diameter of the Blue Dragon) from the yolk to the headphone connectors. (...)

Then probably it is not a Moon Blue Dragon headphone audio cable. It is Moon Blue Dragon balanced adapter with a standard headphone cable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Micro,

If you look at this photo from their website, it looks to me like any other headphone cable?

1624401570131.png

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
For what its worth we bought a Cardas cable to connect from the headphone amp to the Sennheiser HD650. And it looks like yours. the minute you split the main cable in order to go to 2 cables (1 to each ear), then I think what is happening is that each shielded cable inside the main cable comes out so one can go LEFT and one can go RIGHT. I am not techie, but your photo does not strike as super unusual though I admit I have not scrutinized...I have only glanced at it and then looked at our Cardas.
Thanks now I get it

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing