Audio Purchase scam that is happening almost every month

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
EBay is another haven of dirtballs. Audiogon isn't too far behind these days either.

I've had to withdraw the Sale of several pieces of audio equipment over the last few years due to shady buyers.

Its seems another common thing is for the buyer to provide the shipping address of abandon buildings and corporate offices. Then they try and do a similar cancelation of funds move (with Paypal) as discussed here by stating they never received the package.

I now Google Earth the sellers shipping address before sending out any packages or accepting funds. Its not fool proof but its another thing that can be done to gain some semblance of comfort that the transaction will be legit.

I think until the authorities start taking all this fraud seriously it will never stop (The Banks and Authorities really seem to act helpless whenever it happens).

I personally wouldn't mind seeing these dirtballs being treated like Mel Gibson at the end of Bravehart in a nice public setting. I suspect we might see a drop off in events if that were the default punishment for them :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
EBay is another haven of dirtballs. Audiogon isn't too far behind these days either.

I've had to withdraw the Sale of several pieces of audio equipment over the last few years due to shady buyers.

Its seems another common thing is for the buyer to provide the shipping address of abandon buildings and corporate offices. Then they try and do a similar cancelation of funds move (with Paypal) as discussed here by stating they never received the package.

I now Google Earth the sellers shipping address before sending out any packages or accepting funds. Its not fool proof but its another thing that can be done to gain some semblance of comfort that the transaction will be legit.

I think until the authorities start taking all this fraud seriously it will never stop (The Banks and Authorities really seem to act helpless whenever it happens).

I personally wouldn't mind seeing these dirtballs being treated like Mel Gibson at the end of Bravehart in a nice public setting. I suspect we might see a drop off in events if that were the default punishment for them :)
“FREEDOM”

Reactions: cjf

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just wasted part of the morning interacting with someone I suspect is a scammer on U.S. Audio Mart:

1) He will send only a check

2) He will not make a bank wire transfer

3) He uses a @USBC.BE email suffix which according to the Internet is some disposable email address used by fraudsters

4) He did not ask about a reduced price on the Grado Aeon 3 cartridge I am selling

5) His telephone number 607-674-0077 is a Google Voice number

I would suggest staying clear of:

Raymond Williams
Rudno Express
322 Gordon Pkwy
Syracuse NY 13219
rudnoexpress@gmail.com (he also gave me this email address)

Reactions: mtemur and Lee

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_9734.jpeg

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have been selling on USAudiomart the last couple of years. I now sell things exclusively via Paypal Friends & Family. Friends and Family transactions cannot be reversed, and do not have any buyer protections, refund policies etc. Paypal is not going to do any legwork for Friends and Family transactions because they make no commission. Of course the buyer needs to have faith in me, but I have a perfect reputation on USAudiomart and other places that I can refer them too. I've even had buyers bring up my participation here as a plus. I have sold gear up to $5,000 USD this way.

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Hey - thought I'd share a recent scam adventure - this guy was quite convoluted and clever, but not enough.

So, I recently posted a want ad on usaudiomart for an amp.
Within minutes tonysunshine responded via audiogon, weird, but his response was informed and articulate. He was offering the monoblocks at an aggressive, though borderline reasonable price.
I asked why these werent' simply advertised, and he responded that he did not want the agon fee. Jut to play along, I did not ask the obvious as to why not post on the freebe usaudiomart. I then asked for photos. Oh, and he agreed to be pd via ppal, so that's a good sign.

He sent photos using tonysunshine at proton.me. I"d not heard of proton.me. Looked them up, based in switzerland offering untraceable emails. So, I set up my own account and responded.

He then provided a like to "his" stellar feedback on head-fi. Sure enough, there's a tonysunshine on head-fi with stellar feedback. So, after setting up an account on head-fi (I'm not much of a headphone guy), I emailed tonysunshine about the amps, and he replied that I got the wrong dude, confirming my suspicion. I responded back to the real TS just to thank him and explain the background.

Then I emailed Agon to let them know. They suspended his account, so TS responded to me using TS01 ! still looking for a sale.

Fortunately, I've only bumped into two scammers over these many years, and have not succumbed. The first one was from London, I got his bank account numbers and reported him.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing