NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Im
Not trolling at all. Just my impressions From years listening to music for hours each day. And performing and recording worldwide.

I had a Lafayette receiver once it cost like $25 on eBay ,..,and it was more musical sounding than the stupid classe amp I had .... these things complete lack EQ made no sense.

Hi,

That was your last post yesterday, that's it. The day before, four...for a grand total of five.

I was interested by your preferred music genres, but to no avail.
You play the guitar; all genres, some more your style; Calypso, Gypsy, Samba, African, Irish, Cuban, Jazz, Classical, ...?

Cheers,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are inversion tables dangerous?

You had me curious; "inversion" turntables don't look "dangerous" to me, ...more like advantageous instead (separated motor from the platter with inverted main bearing).

? https://uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

And the inverted bearing of the platter and spindle ...

? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0208/index.html

"Designers have another choice, the less common "Inverted Bearing". In this case, the female part, or sleeve, is built as one solid piece into the platter and the spindle is fixed to the chassis pointing upward. The General Center of Gravity Sonderzeichen now passes under the point of rotation and the system becomes stable indeed. There is no more will to topple. Both friction and noise decrease - a great improvement."

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
There's also this thing called "dealers". They're supposed to be there to help exactly in such cases, and help people avoid these mistakes.
But the lure of the cheap used "deals" is too strong, and most people just end up putting together a mix of stuff they got for cheap. And when things don't quite end up the way they wanted, the blame will lie on the hobby/business, instead of on his own choices.
As I said earlier, there's a ridiculous amount of good sounding entry-level gear out there. It's a great time to enter the hobby. You just gotta know where and how.

Hi Alex,

I agree with you - sort of. There are a lot of excellent dealers, and many excellent dealers have gone out of business. It's a real shame...

But you go to one dealer, and he will tell you that Wilson - Boulder is the best thing on the planet. Another guy, with as many years of experience will tell you that Rockport - Gryphon is the real deal. A third guy will tell you Naim - Dynaudio is it. A fourth guy will tell you it's Magico - Spectral. A fifth guy will tell you it's Zellaton with FM Acoustics...A sixth dealer will tell you it's Soulution with Focal....

And all these guys have 40 years of experience...but their taste may not match yours....

So I think the key is what I said earlier, finding the dealer who shares your taste...

But one way to shortcut this is where reviewers, who are "true, wise Yodas", can come to play and add value to the purchasing consumer ...

But most "audio journalists" other than Valin (of recent times) and Fremer - who compare gear and help fans make choices - are despicable mother fuyers who scream BEST BEST BEST in every piece they write... subject for another thread... :)

Reactions: Lagonda

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think it's safe to say this was a rant/troll and the OPs lack of participation supports that. I wouldn't indulge too much in this topic. You can find one on every other audio forum.

I agree with you, as it appears to.
I bet the OP is a bluesman ...

So perhaps Carl has a good instinct after all, as he was first to mention that first "appearance"?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
caesar,

A dealer should, first and foremost, listen to the client, before telling him anything. Recommending stuff willy nilly is what the forums are for.
There is no "best". There's only what's best for a given person, at that given point in time.
There's been a few times where, after meeting and chatting with a client, that I arrive at the conclusion that I just can't help him. I just don't carry the products that he will like/enjoy, so I try to steer him in that direction, even if it means going to another dealer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I respect what you are saying, but you are stating your preference. Unfortunately, I have found the opposite. I have come to strongly dislike "high resolution" box speakers like Wilson and Magico for anything but 2% of the best recordings. I would not participate in this hobby either if all we had was this type of sound.

For normal, "non-audiophile"-recorded music, I favor of high efficiency speakers which excel in dynamics, rich, lifelike tone, and PRAT.

You nominated explicitly those you dislike, can you tell us explicitly those you like? ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, I have seen it on the golf course. Maybe Bose? LOL.

Don't worry about Ked. He's happy being the permanent voyeur. After a while he might even convince himself he might want to play some lps at home. Y'know, like everyone else in the world w lps does.

I see a lot of scrubs on the links, shrubs not so much :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Guys in this hobby will never get what they are after. That is the hobby. To chase. Like a dog after cars and to let go the car when caught. If they get it they should find themselves another hobby, preferably an outdoors one this time.

. . .

You said this much more accurately and poignantly sometime ago. You said there are at least three discrete, alternative, but not mutually exclusive, sub-hobbies within this hobby: music, equipment and auditioning.

Each of us enjoys each of these three sub-hobbies, albeit in different ratios at different times.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree with you, as it appears to.
I bet the OP is a bluesman ...

So perhaps Carl has a good instinct after all, as he was first to mention that first "appearance"?

I think it is irrelevant if OP is a troll or not. The rest of us just want to chat.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
In addition to having money to participate in this hobby, one needs luck in having a good room.

And also luck in running into people who share one's taste that can help discover the proper gear.

I fully agree :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I respect what you are saying, but you are stating your preference. Unfortunately, I have found the opposite. I have come to strongly dislike "high resolution" box speakers like Wilson and Magico for anything but 2% of the best recordings. I would not participate in this hobby either if all we had was this type of sound.

For normal, "non-audiophile"-recorded music, I favor of high efficiency speakers which excel in dynamics, rich, lifelike tone, and PRAT.
Or planars like (refurbished) Apogees or AlsyVoxes :cool:

Reactions: cjfrbw

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
If squirrels had threads we'd all be nuts.

Sometimes I wonder if our vocabulary is more finely grained than reality. I'm not buying the two (or n) worlds venn diagram stuff.

I can't wait to try these 45Hz test tones on my Pasiphae Uranium Horns. It's not journey or chase for its own sake or for the sake of the latest UHQR. I like to improve my system but in the limbic moment of some good Sibelius or Shostakovich, time is still. The more my system improves the greater appreciation I have for performances, conductors, and musicians. I fiddle with my vinyl front-end because I know its fine tuning improves the sound of music not some other sound. The more I do it, the better I get at it - the more I'm an audiophile the more I am a music lover. etc., v-v, ymmv.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
To be fair, the OP had a problem which most likely was caused by an upset in his system synergy. The follow up conversation that followed seems to have chased him away as the result of being fed solutions beyond his needs.
I"ve enjoyed reading the threat though, very entertaining.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If squirrels had threads we'd all be nuts.

Sometimes I wonder if our vocabulary is more finely grained than reality. I'm not buying the two (or n) worlds venn diagram stuff.

I can't wait to try these 45Hz test tones on my Pasiphae Uranium Horns. It's not journey or chase for its own sake or for the sake of the latest UHQR. I like to improve my system but in the limbic moment of some good Sibelius or Shostakovich, time is still. The more my system improves the greater appreciation I have for performances, conductors, and musicians. I fiddle with my vinyl front-end because I know its fine tuning improves the sound of music not some other sound. The more I do it, the better I get at it - the more I'm an audiophile the more I am a music lover. etc., v-v, ymmv.

It does not matter which set of the Venn you are in as long as the set you think you are in is the one you are actually in. If there is a disconnect, that is when problems start.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing