Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Hello Ayreman,

funny, but unfortunately also my findings. Everything matters, if your system is the SQ-ladder up.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Hello Ayreman,

funny, but unfortunately also my findings. Everything matters, if your system is the SQ-ladder up.
Why "unfortunately"?

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Because you have many options which mess up with the sound and only very few which better your setup. once your system sings magically, most changes will lead to unbalance your performance.

Reactions: bmarq

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
To all of you, guys, here... do the experiment: get a spare power cord, plug it into your distributer/power filter (or even into the wall) next to your amps (or a preamp) and put the other end of this cord on the floor (do not connect it to anything!). Now sit down and listen to some music. Next, unplug this cord. Listen again.

I am not sure what this experiment is proving. I am not an electrical expert by an means but maybe just have an open-ended circuit affects the power going to the other components.

I went the Thunder route on my Vandersteen subs because both my dealer and Richard Vandersteen said it was fine to do this.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Because you have many options which mess up with the sound and only very few which better your setup. once your system sings magically, most changes will lead to unbalance your performance.
Yes, but I'm sure you've heard the saying: there's ALWAYS room for improvement!:cool: So, even seemingly magically singing system can benefit from, for example, upgrading stock capacitors with Duelund.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I am not sure what this experiment is proving. I am not an electrical expert by an means but maybe just have an open-ended circuit affects the power going to the other components.

I went the Thunder route on my Vandersteen subs because both my dealer and Richard Vandersteen said it was fine to do this.
The experiment shows that metal in a power cord "sounds" just by being there and doing nothing. Hence when you introduce inferior metal into your system (e.g. PSC instead of PSC+) you are making things worse. I wouldn't listen to Richard Vandersteen (or dealers) when selecting cables. Your ears are the only things you should trust. And my ears tell me very clearly: PSC+ is much, much better than PSC.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The experiment shows that metal in a power cord "sounds" just by being there and doing nothing. Hence when you introduce inferior metal into your system (e.g. PSC instead of PSC+) you are making things worse. I wouldn't listen to Richard Vandersteen (or dealers) when selecting cables. Your ears are the only things you should trust. And my ears tell me very clearly: PSC+ is much, much better than PSC.

I agree that the only ears I should trust are mine. Do you not have any non-audiophile power cables plugged in? Ethernet switches, lamps, TVs, etc.? I have clean and dirty outlets in my room so it is mostly separated but not 100%.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I agree that the only ears I should trust are mine. Do you not have any non-audiophile power cables plugged in? Ethernet switches, lamps, TVs, etc.? I have clean and dirty outlets in my room so it is mostly separated but not 100%.
I have a dedicated power line just for the system and even my TV set is powered with an audiophile cable (albeit a modest one - AQ NRG-1000). But even that is 100% PSC+ and I wouldn't have anything less than that! I use a total of 11 power cables in my system. 10 of those are Dragon HC (plus 1 NRG-1000 for the TV set). Even my subs are powered with the Dragons HC - because they matter immensely and indirectly affect the entire frequency range - not just the low end, as people erroneously think. Call me a crazy audiophile - and I will agree!:)

P.S. You own damn good speakers and IMHO their sub sections deserve nothing less than Dragons HC!;)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
P.S. You own damn good speakers and IMHO their sub sections deserve nothing less than Dragons HC!;)

If you were to talk with Richard Vandersteen, you would understand that the way the subwoofer monoblocks charge in the Vandersteen 7’s, the type of aftermarket power cord utilized has a very small impact on the sound quality of the subwoofers. Therefore the use of Thunder power cords is entirely appropriate.

Best,
Ken

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
If you were to talk with Richard Vandersteen, you would understand that the way the subwoofer monoblocks charge in the Vandersteen 7’s, the type of aftermarket power cord utilized has a very small impact on the sound quality of the subwoofers. Therefore the use of Thunder power cords is entirely appropriate.

Best,
Ken
And if you read my post attentively, you would also understand, that it is not about how Thunder affects the sound quality of the sub. It's about how the presence of Thunder (regardless of what it is powering!) affects the overall SQ of the system as a whole. Just being there in the system (powering the subs or just plugged into your distributor/power filter and doing nothing/simply resting on the floor) one Thunder will mar the overall sound with its muddy LGC copper. And a pair of those will kill the sound of those fabulous speakers. It is absurd to use budget-level Thunder cables with Model 7. Has to be prohibited by law!:mad:

P.S. Did you do the experiment I recommended above?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
And if you read my post attentively, you would also understand, that it is not about how Thunder affects the sound quality of the sub. It's about how the presence of Thunder (regardless of what it is powering!) affects the overall SQ of the system as a whole. Just being there in the system (powering the subs or just plugged into your distributor/power filter and doing nothing/simply resting on the floor) one Thunder will mar the overall sound with its muddy LGC copper. And a pair of those will kill the sound of those fabulous speakers. It is absurd to use budget-level Thunder cables with Model 7. Has to be prohibited by law!:mad:

P.S. Did you do the experiment I recommended above?

Sorry but this is ridiculous. The moral of this story is to trust the manufacturer and dealer with 65 years of combined audio experience.

Ken

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Sorry but this is ridiculous. The moral of this story is to trust the manufacturer and dealer with 65 years of combined audio experience.

Ken
That's exactly my point: it is utterly ridiculous to trust the manufacturer of speakers when selecting power cables. And it is even more ridiculous not to do the simple experiment I recommended doing (above) and simply know for yourself - instead of "trusting opinions of manufacturers and dealers".
P.S. Speaking of manufacturers, Audioquest would never recommend using Thunder with Model 7 simply because it is ridiculous!:D

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That's exactly my point: it is utterly ridiculous to trust the manufacturer of speakers when selecting power cables. And it is even more ridiculous not to do the simple experiment I recommended doing (above) and simply know for yourself - instead of "trusting opinions of manufacturers and dealers".
P.S. Speaking of manufacturers, Audioquest would never recommend using Thunder with Model 7 simply because it is ridiculous!:D

Richard Vandersteen also build amplifiers so my guess is that he knows something about power. In fact, when he designed his amps he worked with Garth Powell who designed the new Audioquest power products, including the power cords.

Plus, the Model 7s have power requirements since they have subwoofers so discounting their perspective is "utterly ridiculous."

Reactions: Alpinist

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Richard Vandersteen also build amplifiers so my guess is that he knows something about power. In fact, when he designed his amps he worked with Garth Powell who designed the new Audioquest power products, including the power cords.

Plus, the Model 7s have power requirements since they have subwoofers so discounting their perspective is "utterly ridiculous."

According to Richard Vandersteen, he designed the DBS noise reduction system for all of AudioQuest’s high-end cables, including their power cords, so he knows a lot about cables.

Ken

Reactions: dminches

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
This discussion is over. You go ahead and power $65000 Model 7 speakers with $850 Thunder. I, by contrast, will continue powering my $5000 REL Stentors III with $9500 Dragon HC. Happy listening!

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
I have a dedicated power line just for the system and even my TV set is powered with an audiophile cable (albeit a modest one - AQ NRG-1000). But even that is 100% PSC+ and I wouldn't have anything less than that! I use a total of 11 power cables in my system. 10 of those are Dragon HC (plus 1 NRG-1000 for the TV set). Even my subs are powered with the Dragons HC - because they matter immensely and indirectly affect the entire frequency range - not just the low end, as people erroneously think. Call me a crazy audiophile - and I will agree!:)

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Hi Ayreman, I see you’ve changed to Furutech plugs. I have Dragons and Hurricanes but found the IEC ends don’t fit perfectly the equipment ends well and get loose easily, which is not ideal. Did you experience this? Did changing to Furutech improve this fit and SQ? Thanks!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Hi Ayreman, I see you’ve changed to Furutech plugs. I have Dragons and Hurricanes but found the IEC ends don’t fit perfectly the equipment ends well and get loose easily, which is not ideal. Did you experience this? Did changing to Furutech improve this fit and SQ? Thanks!
I can attest that you won't have this problem with Audioquest NRG Edison outlets.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
No, I did not experience this. The grip of IEC ends on AQ and Furutech is about the same. The difference is in SQ. The plugs AQ uses on Dragons and Hurricanes are very good. However, they can not compete with FI-50 NCF. If you want to upgrade to FI-50 NCF, be aware that you will only be able to use the inner part of the plugs (i.e. the contacts). It is impossible to put the Dragons (and Hurricanes) through that hole. I tried and failed miserably:(. So, I'm using a "hybrid": contact assembly from FI-50 NCF and the AQ original outer shell. The two fit each other perfectly!

Last edited:

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
No, I did not experience this. The grip of IEC ends on AQ and Furutech is about the same. The difference is in the SQ. The plugs AQ uses on Dragons and Hurricanes are very good. However, they can not compete with FI-50 NCF. If you want to upgrade to FI-50 NCF, be aware that you will only be able to use the inner part of the plugs (i.e. the contacts). It is impossible to put the Dragons (and Hurricanes) through that hole. I tried and failed miserably:(. So, I'm using a "hybrid": contact assembly from FI-50 NCF and the AQ original outer shell. The two fit each other perfectly!
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing