Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Here's how the Audio Bacon site reviewed the Hurricane as part of a 27 cord review. Does it resemble anyone's experience? I'm asking because it seems different than what I read in this thread.

"The Audioquest Hurricane HC power cord has a singular personality. It prefers the fun, weighty, warm, and solid sound over a more spatial and energetic one. It also leans towards more of an analog molding of the musical pieces.

This cable has a full and fat sound. Speedy transients, cymbal sizzle, separation, organic textures? Forget about it. We’re talking a thick milk chocolate coat over everything. This, in effect, gives everything a more tangible, 3-D shape. There’s still sprinkles of sparkle, but that isn’t the star of the show.

This especially applies to vocal recordings – which are made to be addictively sweet and tangible. I really enjoyed this cable with more bass-centric and intimate recordings. It does get a little confused once the music gets busier, however."
https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/16/

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
He is probably hearing the actual sound of the component which the hurricane was plugged into. In my opinion, AQ cables mostly sound balanced, They never favour a frequency over the other which i have seen with many other brands (which some people prefer, might be a good thing for them). AQ just get more transparent as you go up the line. I had the same AQ full loom while changing components around them. With a soft amp, my sound was soft and sweet. With a dynamic amp, the sound followed suit and same applies to other components. AQ cables just get out of the way, you could put it like that, my humble opinion.

fayerichard

Dec 7, 2019
The experiment shows that metal in a power cord "sounds" just by being there and doing nothing. Hence when you introduce inferior metal into your system (e.g. PSC instead of PSC+) you are making things worse. I wouldn't listen to Richard Vandersteen (or dealers) when selecting cables. Your ears are the only things you should trust. And my ears tell me very clearly: PSC+ is much, much better than PSC.
Interesting that you write this. I found this as well and at first thought that my mind was playing games with me. Ofcourse it really needs to be connected to the powerstrip not just laying loose. However, I am also wondering if the quality of the ac plug plugged into the power strip plays a role here in order to help vibrations more, or do you think there is more at play here? I wonder if other people found this as well. ASI for instance sells cables whereby one end of the plug is connected to a component and the other is just laying on the floor. Apparently it seems to get all those non-musical things away from the sensitive capacitors.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
After comparing my Hurricanes to Clarity Cables Vortex power cords I sold all of my Hurricanes. The Vortex power cords are transparent, open, and provide details that are slightly masked by the Hurricanes.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

fayerichard

Dec 7, 2019
After comparing my Hurricanes to Clarity Cables Vortex power cords I sold all of my Hurricanes. The Vortex power cords are transparent, open, and provide details that are slightly masked by the Hurricanes.
Audioquest does not emphasize, agree that a system with only Audioquest can sound quite sterile and less emotional, hence why I found that using other brands that tend to emphasize more will push the system in a more involving direction, however also by pulling more Audioquest powercables out you will loose the very much carved out sounds that can be more clearly distinguished from one another. Just try putting on more back in such as to a CD player or DAC. Any feelings?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
"by pulling more Audioquest powercables out you will loose the very much carved out sounds that can be more clearly distinguished from one another."
I think it's system dependent. It certainly isn't the case in my system. The transparency of the Vortex's allow me to hear things deeper into the soundstage with instruments clearly carved out in space. The resolution/ detail is there without a hint of brightness. My wife's initial response was how clear everything sounded.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Here's how the Audio Bacon site reviewed the Hurricane as part of a 27 cord review. Does it resemble anyone's experience? I'm asking because it seems different than what I read in this thread.

"The Audioquest Hurricane HC power cord has a singular personality. It prefers the fun, weighty, warm, and solid sound over a more spatial and energetic one. It also leans towards more of an analog molding of the musical pieces.

This cable has a full and fat sound. Speedy transients, cymbal sizzle, separation, organic textures? Forget about it. We’re talking a thick milk chocolate coat over everything. This, in effect, gives everything a more tangible, 3-D shape. There’s still sprinkles of sparkle, but that isn’t the star of the show.

This especially applies to vocal recordings – which are made to be addictively sweet and tangible. I really enjoyed this cable with more bass-centric and intimate recordings. It does get a little confused once the music gets busier, however."
https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/16/
No, this does not resemble my experience at all. This reviewer has thick milk chocolate in his ears and does not know his arse from his elbow!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
No, this does not resemble my experience at all. This reviewer has thick milk chocolate in his ears and does not know his arse from his elbow!

IME the review of the Hurricane pc's is right on......

Reactions: bazelio

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
I had one each of Dragon HC, source and three Hurricane HCs. The Hurricanes performed quite differently on various components. It was better than the Vahalla2 on the First Watt Sit 3 and the EMM Labs TX2 player. Thinking that they were such good value I bought 2 more, hoping they could replace the Vahalla2s on the CJ Art 300s. Unfortunately I was wrong this time. It masked details placing a thick veil on the music. Couldn’t listen for a few minutes. Speakers are Magico Q7.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
"It masked details placing a thick veil on the music." I agree, but didn't realize it until I compared them to another power cord.

blackpol

Mar 2, 2020
Well, after hearing the Audioquest Hurricanes I was in shock how much better the Crystal Cable Ultra Diamond powercord was.
No contest, it was immediately clear. Plays on a different level altogether here.
YMMV as usual.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Well, after hearing the Audioquest Hurricanes I was in shock how much better the Crystal Cable Ultra Diamond powercord was.
No contest, it was immediately clear. Plays on a different level altogether here.
YMMV as usual.

In what ways, including tonality?

blackpol

Mar 2, 2020
Main for me was the lack of musicality/no emotion involved due to the to me too lean/clean character
Not the widest or deepest stage compared to Crsytal Cable Ultra Diamond, which has by far also the more refined treble
Missing some of the deepest lows

Last edited:

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Wow... pretty mixed opinions! I felt that Hurricane HC is very energetic yet full bodied and digging deep in the bass department... I've also found it to be quite transparent...

blackpol

Mar 2, 2020
Wow... pretty mixed opinions! I felt that Hurricane HC is very energetic yet full bodied and digging deep in the bass department... I've also found it to be quite transparent...

Yes, cables are very system dependent. I am sure the Hurricanes will shine in other setups.
I was prepared to buy at least some Hurricanes, due to the glowing revieuws here and on other forums.
It was a disappointment that they did not work the way I wanted to in my setup, so I had to look elsewhere.
I found the Furutech Nanoflux which I had on loan too also the better cable in my system, compared to the Huricanes.
Anyway, enjoy your Hurricanes!

System: Monitor Audio PL500, Krell Evo 400E mono, ARC Ref 5SE, Sony XA5400SE, Esoteric K1, Shunyata, Crystal Cable, Monster

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have Hurricanes hooked up with a Niagara 5000 power conditioner. I'm pretty satisfied with my little system's overall transparency and dynamics, but sound stage depth and upper register clarity could likely be improved. What I find interesting about the Audio Bacon review is the breadth of the comparison. It gives the reviewer a range of products that I doubt any of us will ever experience. I'm interested enough now to want to do some comparisons, but there are other projects that will come first.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
How do the Hurricanes compare to the newer Shunyata Alpha NR2? The new Alphas are said to be better than the previous generation Sigma 1s. Is the Alpha NR2 competing with a higher level Audioquest power cable than the Hurricane? Considering adding a slew of new PCs. I already own some Shunyatas Alpha NR2s and like their Sound So far. I need to add 4 more.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I use a Hurricane HC from the wall to my Niagara 5000 but have two Dragon Source on my Select DAC. It sounds truly wonderful.

Ken

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
An AQ dealer sold me a "new" 2 .0M NRG HURRICANE HC EU IEC15 . When I unpacked it, I saw that it was red. Are there any differences between red and blue? Do they have different UPC/EAN codes?
Thanks
Dirk

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
I just saw, that the picture of the hurricane on the back of the packaging is blue and there is also a picture of a red firebird? Why does AQ tell me, there is the "NRG" in the name of the cable?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing