Avalon Osiris , my next project!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Drop them on furniture sliders and live with them for a week before spiking them.

that is the plan!

step by step :)

and enjoying them all ;-)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Does the underside of the osiris where the 4 spikes are supposed to be have an M 8 thread.
If so i would insert finite element cerabase footers .
If the threaded (inserts )holes are well /strong enough made you can slide the speaker where you want.

OSIRIS..
the god of the underworld .;)

If avalon made the cabinet as well as the Osirion it would last for 1000 s of years

Reactions: Lagonda

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
This morning at 8:00 am I took over the rental van with my brother and a long, heavy duty day began.

At 11:00 am we arrived at our destination and found a new Avalon Osiris system waiting for us, soon nearly 1000kg loudspeakers in 8 parts without original packaging wanted to be stowed away so that we would arrive safely in the Rhineland.

With close to 2x 20kg per channel, the MIT evo 850 speaker cables are also so heavy that they have to be packed separately, especially since the aluminum boxes are really bulky.

In advance, I got 8 furniture rollers, a few wooden pallets and about 30 lashing straps, plus lots of styrofoam.

Around 14:00 we had everything in the truck and were able to start the return journey, luckily we had not only chosen the hottest day of this year, but also the day of the school vacation start ..., the return journey took a correspondingly long time.
Around 5:30 p.m. our home had us again after the expected traffic jam :)

I then borrowed a pallet truck on site so that the loudspeakers could be moved on their different pallets.

Luckily, two friends were waiting for us, who actively took part, because before setting up the Avalon Osiris we had to dismantle the Wilson Audio Maxx3, which is not exactly a lightweight at 200kg / piece. We first lifted the Maxx3 onto furniture rollers so that it can now be safely moved around the house quite easily.

In my "home theater" the Maxx3 are now waiting to be put into operation together with a Boulder 1060 power amplifier, but this will take a few more days, first of all it's the Osiris' turn.

We decided to temporarily build up the Osiris so that you can find the optimal position in peace, since it can be assumed that the Osiris want to be in a different location than the Maxx3 before. even if this position will be the starting point.

If the Osiris is only on spikes, it will be difficult to move them on a wooden floor.

And so the external crossovers are now without spikes directly on the floor on felt coasters, so that they can be moved slightly.

The speakers themselves are on furniture rollers so that they can be easily pushed in all directions.

Even if the Osiris is now higher than if it is on spikes, it should be possible to find the approximately optimal position.

If this is found, the LS will come on felt coasters to precisely adjust the position to the last mm, then the speaker and the crossover will be placed on the final apex spikes.

One problem will be the heavy MIT speaker cable boxes. The loudspeaker connections of the Osiris are at a medium speaker height, so that these boxes might hang in the air, which the LS terminals or the clamp connection should hardly be able to withstand. Let's see what can be built there tomorrow to support the cables.
But maybe I'm lucky and the cable connection ends are long enough.

At the moment, I am very happy that the Maxx 3 has moved safely to a new room and that the Osiris are now in my music room and at least make a very good impression. All of this lasted until 9:00 p.m. and we are all exhausted from hauling .... Luckily my wife (after active help) started the barbecue and after a few beers and a few sausages we all feel much better: - )

... And tomorrow the Osiris will be connected, I'm really looking forward to it!

View attachment 66650 View attachment 66649

Congratulations on acquiring your most desired of speaker systems after all those years.

I went through the exact same process, after many years of seeking and longing, when I acquired my Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush reference one of a kind system. I was/am so happy to get and have them that I got rid of the shipping crates as I knew that they will never leave my house.

The Avalon Osiris system is definitely one of the great world class speaker systems and I’m sure that they are more than competitive with current state of the art speaker systems. Sound engineering design stands the test of time.

Don’t get frustrated with their set-up, as an engineer and a scientist I have come to embrace that the tweaking and optimizing is one of my favorite passages in the journey. You as an engineer I’m sure can relate.

Happy listening and post some videos when you get them dialed in; I would love to hear them do their thing; even through their compromises videos are very telling and disrobing.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Would a new production Osiris be competitive w M2? And which would you take?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Shakti and if it doesnt sound good just yet .
Just say i m still experimenting with cables :)

They all do, and with about 20.000 cable designs out there , our hobby will keep going for a while ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Well the Avalon compass diamond I listen to is much preferred by me to various Wilsons and Magico that I have heard. I haven't heard the M2 but did listen to various other models. The Avalon is very coherent through the crossovers, piano is brilliant. It's tonally great, and has weight. Violins, cello, all great. Champs at layering. I have heard Indra and transcendant too, and did observe similar characteristics in the transcendent, which is one model lower from the compass diamond. The only issue with the Avalon is that it sounds very different from room to room, amp to amp, position to position, much more than Wilson and Magico, which I find way more consistent in this regard. Hates being anywhere near a wall.

The one problem Shakti will have is Avalon is a long journey speaker one should have patience for, and Shakti likes to move fast. He can bring in a lot of gear, so maybe he will find the right match quickly enough. But the bigger the room, the longer it will take to find the right spot.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If Juergen can dial in these Osiris and make them sing, why would he look past them at anything else?
There's never a final final component in our hobby?

Reactions: shakti

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If Juergen can dial in these Osiris and make them sing, why would he look past them at anything else?
There's never a final final component in our hobby?

How long have you been following his threads? He doesn't buy things for final use

Reactions: shakti and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Then he won't get the best out of them.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: Golum

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's the spirit. So, you'll get them right...and THEN sell them, straight after?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That's the spirit. So, you'll get them right...and THEN sell them, straight after?
Jürgen has the skills, room and gear to get the best out of these speakers. Just like you with your Zu’s Mark :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

I will listen to music to them. I will enjoy them.
That's why I have bought them.

But I will scan again the High End markt, if something special become available,
and may be a time will come, that I will have the chance to buy something different, which I am interested in.

Let us see it that way.

High End gear tries to make music happen in our rooms, like being live in front of the artists.

High End products like the Infinity IRS, like Martin Logan Statement, like Tidal Assoluta, like Wilson Audio Wamm and so on are pieces of ART. The Designer has given all his competence and spirit into this product.

Listening to such a product is like listening to music with the ears of the Designer.

As all of this named speakers are so different. But there is no right or wrong. It is just their personal view into the music, it is their personal vision of the way , reproduced music should sound.

My Hobby is very much to understand and to enjoy all the different ways to reproduce music.
It is a little bit like, that you understand the way, the Designer personally enjoys music.

This is enhancing and sometimes stretching the way I like to listen to music, but I learn a lot about the music I like.

So I like to say thank you to Neil Patel, that he was able to transfer his understanding of music reproduction into a real life Statement product. The Osiris is definitely delivering, what I was hoping, even at the compromised level of set up,
where I am actually in.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jürgen has the skills, room and gear to get the best out of these speakers. Just like you with your Zu’s Mark :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Did you run out of Emojis? I'm just not feeling it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Did you run out of Emojis? I'm just not feeling it.
There is a limit to how many times one can roll ones eyes without turning into a human slot machine ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
See an optometrist. You sound like you have astigmatism.

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing