Avalon Osiris , my next project!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ked ,
Well the Avalon compass diamond I listen to is much preferred by me to various Wilsons and Magico that I have heard. I haven't heard the M2 but did listen to various other models. The Avalon is very coherent through the crossovers, piano is brilliant. It's tonally great, and has weight. Violins, cello, all great. Champs at layering. I have heard Indra and transcendant too, and did observe similar characteristics in the transcendent, which is one model lower from the compass diamond. The only issue with the Avalon is that it sounds very different from room to room, amp to amp, position to position, much more than Wilson and Magico, which I find way more consistent in this regard. Hates being anywhere near a wall.

The one problem Shakti will have is Avalon is a long journey speaker one should have patience for, and Shakti likes to move fast. He can bring in a lot of gear, so maybe he will find the right match quickly enough. But the bigger the room, the longer it will take to find the right spot.

Ked ,

This total shut down must be killing you , no travel , no concerts , no system ...

Hang in there Bud .. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked ,

Ked ,

This total shut down must be killing you , no travel , no concerts , no system ...

Hang in there Bud .. :)

I have a new hobby, cooking... Also improving my 5k time and pull ups

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You might be cooking more, Ked. But are you serving courses in the right order?

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Whats recommended ..??
No lumbar support, encouraging slumped flexed posture in low back, shortened hip flexors, rolled upper back and extended low neck/cervical-thoracic junction, shoulder girdle tension.

Chairs should have higher backs reaching shoulder blade region, convex lumbar area, gently curved upper support.

That poor audiophile may have the best spkrs. But likely the worst sciatica.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
No lumbar support, encouraging slumped flexed posture in low back, shortened hip flexors, rolled upper back and extended low neck/cervical-thoracic junction, shoulder girdle tension.

Chairs should have higher backs reaching shoulder blade region, convex lumbar area, gently curved upper support.

Finally som good advice Marc ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, my Zu journey is self medication and the need to confess. If audiofoolia was a lifestyle/religion, I'd be a pain killer-addicted Catholic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, more like the Last Rights.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Sorry for OT
Is there a specific chair model you would recommend?
What is your take on the ekhornes stressless chairs?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't know it particularly. There is a trend for chairs now to be over designed, unnecessarily infinitely adjustable, and cost a small fortune
The trick is to sit in any chair, feel your lumbar curve/small of back be fully filled out by the chair thus squaring your hips and pushing you up, and upright, opening up front hip/pelvic core area. Then critically the upright needs to sympathetically meld w middle back to give perceivable support to shoulder girdle/scapulae.
Slumped rolled fwds postures are deadly on lumbar discs, restricted hip flexors, and in reverse, compromising on low neck/thoracics.
So one doesnt need a pricey chair, just one that is fit for purpose.
I actually dont get on w these mesh/translucent chairs that are adjustable but have no body to them, or overtly artistic Hermann Miller type chairs.
The Ekhornes looks like it could be ok. But it also could fall into the "plush" category where you sink in the chair and are not pushed upright.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is there any chair that protects your lower back from being jolted upright every epiphany? Needs seatbelt, no?

Reactions: ddk and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I don't know it particularly. There is a trend for chairs now to be over designed, unnecessarily infinitely adjustable, and cost a small fortune
The trick is to sit in any chair, feel your lumbar curve/small of back be fully filled out by the chair thus squaring your hips and pushing you up, and upright, opening up front hip/pelvic core area. Then critically the upright needs to sympathetically meld w middle back to give perceivable support to shoulder girdle/scapulae.
Slumped rolled fwds postures are deadly on lumbar discs, restricted hip flexors, and in reverse, compromising on low neck/thoracics.
I actually dont get on w these mesh/translucent chairs that are adjustable but have no body to them, or overtly artistic Hermann Miller type chairs.
The Ekhornes looks like it could be ok. But it also could fall into the "plush" category where you sink in the chair and are not pushed upright.
Don’t forget, any advice given by Marc on this subject could be influenced by his need to make money for audio upgrades ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sorry for OT
I am interested in this too. Marc could you be so kind to recommend in the chair thread. I have a bad back and cant sit long.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, I wish I could recommend a brand. But this area is total hit and miss. Indeed, the pricier you go, the worse it gets. I've sat in 20-30 chairs in a single shop and hated every one.

It's the principles as I've laid out that matters. Find the chair that ticks those boxes and you're home and dry.

The inherent issue is the moment you slump in lumbar spine you roll fwds, compressing front abdomen/pelvis. This is bad for disc compression and keeps those core muscles short. Which means that you also lose lumbar mobility when you need to move.

And knock on effect into cervical spine, more of an effort to look up/sit up straight...headaches, migraines, disc wear and tear.

Sometimes the cheaper options re chairs do the job the best. Like not having to have the priciest tts...or spkrs Lol. I should know about that.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Sorry for OT
Is there any chair that protects your lower back from being jolted upright every epiphany? Needs seatbelt, no?
I am interested in this too. Marc could you be so kind to recommend in the chair thread. I have a bad back and cant sit long.

very interesting topic, we should open a dedicated chair thread.

The Avalon Osiris Thread was opened in the Avalon manufacturer section of the WBF Forum

maybe a moderator can move the last comments into this new thread to still have all chair information available?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Ked, no need for a seatbelt when you're floating on Cloud Nine. Admiring the view.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, it seems we also need a Ching Cheng chair in WBF ... ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
This will give you the jolt you need Ked and keep you upright as recommended by Marc.
View attachment 66728
Now that’s what I’d call a dedicated listening room... even the sweet spot has its own dedicated circuit :eek: sir can I have my waterboarding with 10awg romex and a side of wet myself.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
very interesting topic, we should open a dedicated chair thread.

The Avalon Osiris Thread was opened in the Avalon manufacturer section of the WBF Forum

maybe a moderator can move the last comments into this new thread to still have all chair information available?
Sorry :oops:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing