Axpona 22’ pictures

Ceasar there are up to 15 % dyslectic people in the US.
Indeed i d have thought something better from a marketing expert.
The preprinted badge looks more professional for demonstrators .

If the room is always packed i assume they re doing something right
my only point is, don't be at the mercy of the organizer. change the situation yourself

I m going to the munich show i lll keep you guys updated.

But you can read from all the reactions how perceptions differ from person to person.

I dont think you can call something audio related the " Best "
it is very interesting that the same room can have such diverse reactions and opinions. As an exhibitor its really a challenge to try to find some common ground with people walking in and out and trying to play a diverse selection of interesting music that sounds good. I personally refuse to play the same audiophile cringe stuff that has been overused for years. I want to thank all of you that came by and checked us out although onlly a few introduced themselves and to me that was disappointing. I don't bite , well at least not hard LOL
I am going to Munich and at that show will actually see the show. At Axpona I listened to ZERO

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow
they made you wait in line. their choice. reap what you sow.

walked by that room 7-8 times, door always fully closed. meh. and we wonder why certain brands are not well known?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but you could walk in anytime. We had continuous flow in and out everyday.

Respectfully disagree. For people who like that sound, there was a lot potential , and those will likely explore further
Ah! Another classic vanilla, chocolate, strawberry dilemma. To this day I have never heard an excellent FULL RANGE horn system. I keep looking but no success as of yet. What I have heard, which Paul Klipsch once lamented was the problem, are some really fine 1 watt amplifiers!

Reactions: caesar
Ah! Another classic vanilla, chocolate, strawberry dilemma. To this day I have never heard an excellent FULL RANGE horn system. I keep looking but no success as of yet. What I have heard, which Paul Klipsch once lamented was the problem, are some really fine 1 watt amplifiers!

Oh, one that can do deep bass electronica?

Out if curiosity, do basshorns count toward full range in a horn system? I suppose a typical ‘box’ sub would not count as it is not a horn.

I think many know the Scaena's by another name- Pipedreams! Yes, they are no longer Pipedreams but the principles are very similar since Mark Porzelli first designed them. Having owned Pipedreams for many years I enjoyed them but their limitations resulted in me eventually moving on. Among their main liabilities, I found it very difficult for their 3 inch drivers to blend seamlessly with their subs and I spent many years trying using DSP. Still, a good sounding speaker.
The 12" woofers mesh much, much better than the old 18s and the Scaenas better the Pipes in other parameters too IMO

Reactions: Alrainbow
A lot of rich guys do, unfortunately. Trust the large number of owners / crowd (social proof) and authority like a dealer or a review. They don't do their homework like guys like Bonzo and KeithR.

Fortunately many people in this hobby trust their good dealers and have good systems, enjoying music. WBF members have a different, very extreme way of living this hobby.

If guys had more information to make informed decisions, such full understanding of trade-offs and weaknesses of the design choices, instead of the typical "metaphysical perfection" hype from the "audio journalists", would definitely make a much, much better hobby instead of sewer filled with mis-information that we have now.

I do not see a sewer filled with mis-information in this hobby. Surely a lot of mis-information, particularly because of the extreme diversity of equipment and preferences, added by the complexity of analyzing systems. Everyone dreams of "information to make informed decisions, such full understanding of trade-offs and weaknesses of the design choices," but IMHO such thing does not exist.

Looking around WBF I see many happy people, living their hobby with their systems, music and friends.

Ideon dac was shown with Vivid Giyas. I have a friend who owns Vivid Giyas , so I am very familar with what they are capable of- which is is an incredibly realistic musical presentation. However, that room was disappointing. I am being very generous - the system sucked!

I'd guess it was performing at 30 percent of capability. I'd blame it on the amps, to start. The guy running the room used some French amp. He should have begged CAT Stephens for the CAT Statements, to submit the Vivid's big woofers and provide tube bliss, or used some powerful, yet musical SS like Gryphon. That would have made a huge difference.

With all that said, the only conclusion one can draw from Ideon DAC is that it sounds like hifi.

Until guys with integrity can compare it and contrast it with other gear, and identify all the differences and trade-offs, it will remain a hyped up mystery
That's a shame! Thanks for the info.

Ideon dac was shown with Vivid Giyas. I have a friend who owns Vivid Giyas , so I am very familar with what they are capable of- which is is an incredibly realistic musical presentation. However, that room was disappointing. I am being very generous - the system sucked!

I'd guess it was performing at 30 percent of capability. I'd blame it on the amps, to start. The guy running the room used some French amp. He should have begged CAT Stephens for the CAT Statements, to submit the Vivid's big woofers and provide tube bliss, or used some powerful, yet musical SS like Gryphon. That would have made a huge difference.

With all that said, the only conclusion one can draw from Ideon DAC is that it sounds like hifi.

Until guys with integrity can compare it and contrast it with other gear, and identify all the differences and trade-offs, it will remain a hyped up mystery
Out of interest how can you tell whether the disappointing is due to the JMF amps or the Ideon dac?

Reactions: tima and Alrainbow

the guy running the room was from JMF. :rolleyes:

and somewhat disagree. i was in this room 6-7 times over the show time; including a few times when i was the only person, particularly before i left on Sunday, so asked for particular types of music.

i agree they never pushed things, which limits involvement and our conclusions.......i think the bass in the room easily overloaded. yet i did not hear anything that would cause me to downgrade the gear. Ideon sounding like hifi? that's a relative term i think with many causes. i got glimpses of special things the Ideon was doing. it was very fast, yet had good tone and no edge or flatness. but i did need to work at it.

agree it's still a mystery, but i heard nothing that would cause me to not have an interest in it. and i'd like to hear the JMF gear in a mature system to see what it can do. i know the Vivid's can sing when allowed to.

Last edited:

What do you mean with "sounds like hifi"?

Reactions: bonzo75
Reactions: thomask
It is definitely bigger in person than it looks in pics but agree that it is not in the really big speakers such as Wilson Alexx, Aida, etc.

The Marquis did sound good in person. That is a HUGE room to fill with those speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing