Axpona 22’ pictures

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
ALF,....a friend here locally had a similarly great experience with Bob and wound up very happily making a rather large upgrade
to both Alsyvoxx and Pilium offerings. I don't know Bob at all however from what this gentleman related to me, it was first class
customer service and a great experience where he was treated well and with respect.
From a professional perspective and as a competitor my view is Bob is one of the hardest working guys in audio. He also has the energy and passion of a 40-year-old for all things audio! More of that kind of investment and positivity is what our industry needs. Keep getting after it, Bob! Gary

Last edited:

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I actually think much of this -- definitely rambling -- criticism is inapposite. On their respective YouTube channels it seems to me that Mike and Jay know their audience, and that they are delivering what they believe their subscribers want. What is wrong with that? Whether they lead their subscribers and customers astray or to the audio promised land is only for those subscribers and customers to determine for themselves.

Each of their channels has thousands of subscribers. Far from being "out of touch" they seem to be quite in touch with certain segments of the audio world which, apparently, are unfamiliar to you.

Feel free to ignore them and to not watch their channels. But calling them clowns or fools or condescendingly claiming they need a talking to is indefensibly rude and inappropriate.

A lawsuit? Did you go to law school over the weekend?
Thanks for a very real assessment Ron.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thanks for your words of support Peter. You seem to understand my intent and heart is in the right place. Yes a tad unconventional, and many times unpolished. I do have this affliction called attention to "Value" and "Integrity". I feel our industry is a sacred spot for connection to Music, so I take dishonesty within this framework personal in a certain way. Perhaps I could work on "Grace" a little more.... ;-)
I've enjoyed your channel for many years particularly in the last year or so where you are spending much more time on your own setup, the design, build and system choosing aspects. I've also been a fan of NAT amps sound for many years and regret they don't match the
direction I've taken for my system build. Maybe some day...

Here's a post I made elsewhere that I'm not sure you'll see (if you are not on that forum) regarding the video in question.

Food for thought, one guy's opinion and all that,...nothing more:

"Jay & (OCD Hi-Fi Guy) Mike:

Both of you contribute a lot to the industry and this hobby in your own ways independently over the years and together as of late when you combine to do the various videos at each others' homes.

I'd like to suggest that there are any number of ways to express disappointment that a brand was not at a show or other venue without casting
the level of "shade" on DarTZeel, Alsyvoxx, Pilium and others that was done in this video. Basically, the way these topics
and these brands were handled among other things was a major "dump" on the brands in question and in some cases, the people involved
with them. In short, much of the video was a full-on negative rant.

Please consider taking a different road next time around. DarTZeel, Pilium Audio (another that performs at the level of Block Audio IMHO)
and Alsyvoxx are brands that continue to accrue extensive mention and kudos among any of us lucky to hear them, and to suggest
n at least one case that they weren't there so as to not have their price and performance exposed as not measuring up to other options
is with respect, off-base to say the least. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't own these brands nor do I have any affiliation in the industry.
If I was lucky enough to own them however, I'd count my blessings.

Munich is right around the corner and in some cases manufacturers I would guess would be picking the largest show in the world to ship
high $$$ demo setups weeks and possibly a month or more in advance to MOC's staging warehouses versus shipping to AXPONA if units were
limited.

All that stated, I agree that it would have been great for those brands to show up and demo proudly at AXPONA or any show for that matter.

I think this hobby and the industry and your the perception of your channel(s) as positive contributors would be better served by not taking
a giant dump on them or any other brand that operates honorably and does their best to provide good products.

With Respect..."

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
From a professional perspective and as a competitor of sorts my view is Bob is one of the hardest working guys in audio with the energy and passion of a 40-year-old for all things audio! More of that energy and positivity is what our industry needs. Keep getting after it, Bob! Gary
Thank you Gary!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Seems like Axpona pictures thread and State of the Industry thread convergence.

I watched a few of Jay’s videos, just recently this Mike fella. Jay originally told everyone he bought everything he auditioned in his room, but I knew he shopped for demo gear which caused my bullshit antennae to quiver. I dislike anyone who comes across in this hobby as a pretentious know-it-all (not specifically calling out Jay.) Opinions are one thing, but one can have an opinion, disagree with others, and remain respectful. I know that is part of the ethos of this forum, not always lived up to. Those who’ve been in the game a long time, ddk, Rhapsody Bob, Elliott, (many others) have a foundation of experience. Personally, I am amazed anyone has aural memory of how something sounded that they heard long back, and with specificity to boot! I imagine t comes over time, and only then comes some wisdom (hopefully).

I’ve been around some too, but my exposure to gear has been limited, so for me the RLR gig is fun and informative — I still sit and try to hear how each speaker differs from the others, but usually just end up sucked into the music and forget about comparing. But thats something folks can do in the Listening Rooms — come listen for yourself with your own ears not those of some reviewer on-line or in print. The Listening Rooms are an attempt at something slightly different from brick-n-mortar, as the industry is changing alternative approaches must be explored. You can have a nibble at a show, but a full-on tasting in one of the RLRs.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
All that stated, I agree that it would have been great for those brands to show up and demo proudly at AXPONA or any show for that matter.
Just for the record Rhapsody DID show up at Axpona with the Pilium/Bayz/Eosteric/Taiko/Norodst room. We supplied all of the gear for the show.

We had given a deposit in 2020 for an Alsyvox room (they still have our deposit) but we needed a bigger room, due to the width of the speakers, which these type rooms were not available. So we did the Bayz room with Pilium instead.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
ALF,....a friend here locally had a similarly great experience with Bob and wound up very happily making a rather large upgrade
to both Alsyvoxx and Pilium offerings. I don't know Bob at all however from what this gentleman related to me, it was first class
customer service and a great experience where he was treated well and with respect.
Because Im the "counterpoint" question guy, let me ask. What are the odds a HiFi seller receiving $150K or more for products with 40 to 60 point margins would NOT treat someone with respect and step on his own feet to take care of them ? Its an obvious response. Even a jerk would become the nicest guy on the planet for that sale. (I'm making ZERO suggestions here.) Its the guys RETURNING stuff that are treated with grace and respect that separate the dealers IMHO.

Reactions: Rensselaer

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Because Im the "counterpoint" question guy, let me ask. What are the odds a HiFi seller receiving $150K or more for products with 40 to 60 point margins would NOT treat someone with respect and step on his own feet to take care of them ? Its an obvious response. Even a jerk would become the nicest guy on the planet for that sale. (I'm making ZERO suggestions here.) Its the guys RETURNING stuff that are treated with grace and respect that separate the dealers IMHO.
i guess if any of us had any doubt about what our first impressions of you were, they are gone now.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I've enjoyed your channel for many years particularly in the last year or so where you are spending much more time on your own setup, the design, build and system choosing aspects. I've also been a fan of NAT amps sound for many years and regret they don't match the
direction I've taken for my system build. Maybe some day...

Here's a post I made elsewhere that I'm not sure you'll see (if you are not on that forum) regarding the video in question.

Food for thought, one guy's opinion and all that,...nothing more:

"Jay & (OCD Hi-Fi Guy) Mike:

Both of you contribute a lot to the industry and this hobby in your own ways independently over the years and together as of late when you combine to do the various videos at each others' homes.

I'd like to suggest that there are any number of ways to express disappointment that a brand was not at a show or other venue without casting
the level of "shade" on DarTZeel, Alsyvoxx, Pilium and others that was done in this video. Basically, the way these topics
and these brands were handled among other things was a major "dump" on the brands in question and in some cases, the people involved
with them. In short, much of the video was a full-on negative rant.

Please consider taking a different road next time around. DarTZeel, Pilium Audio (another that performs at the level of Block Audio IMHO)
and Alsyvoxx are brands that continue to accrue extensive mention and kudos among any of us lucky to hear them, and to suggest
n at least one case that they weren't there so as to not have their price and performance exposed as not measuring up to other options
is with respect, off-base to say the least. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't own these brands nor do I have any affiliation in the industry.
If I was lucky enough to own them however, I'd count my blessings.

Munich is right around the corner and in some cases manufacturers I would guess would be picking the largest show in the world to ship
high $$$ demo setups weeks and possibly a month or more in advance to MOC's staging warehouses versus shipping to AXPONA if units were
limited.

I think this hobby and the industry and your the perception of your channel(s) as positive contributors would be better served by not taking
a giant dump on them or any other brand that operates honorably and does their best to provide good products.

With Respect..."
I admit I fell into "crap talking" here. Im cynical and jaded from the industry and after seeing and hearing so many bullshit peddlers over the years, watching them come and go like hot potatoes, I do have a somewhat negative first impression of dealers or manufacturers talking a huge ballgame. The best this or the best that.. lets shootout and see, or hear rather. I find there are very few folks that have been doing this for 20 years or more that dont have a disdain for the talk. Theres Humility and there's Hubris. I respect the former, and yes, I must work on my grace when I share my opinion. I think I've pretty much exorcised the demons, and will now simply mix in parody skits to entertain rather than being a grump. Im still trying to be my best, so please excuse my cynicism.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
i guess if any of us had any doubt about what our first impressions of you were, they are gone now.
What do you mean Mike ? Can we be direct here ?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I treat someone that buys a $200 cable the same as someone that buys $1M+ system, which Rhapsody has sold 10+ of these type systems over the years. Every customer deserves good service and respect.

I routinely send people to music direct in Chicago to buy say an ELAC set of speakers when they only want to spend <$1K. I've already gone and set them up for them at no charge if they were in the city once they received them.

Do good for people and it will come back to you in many ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR and Bobvin

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Mike,

I do agree that "Its the guys RETURNING stuff that are treated with grace and respect that separate the dealers IMHO.", add in "guys having issues with "stuff"....

For this situation that I was referring to, there was no guarantee of any purchase when such a trip was made, and no sale was made
on the day,....it happened subsequently in 2+ phases after what I'm guessing is healthy reflection on what was heard and
the total experience. You made assumptions from the looks of things that are not accurate.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I treat someone that buys a $200 cable the same as someone that buys $1M+ system, which Rhapsody has sold 10+ of these type systems over the years. Every customer deserves good service and respect.

I routinely send people to music direct in Chicago to buy say an ELAC set of speakers when they only want to open <$1K. I've already gone and set them up for them at no charge if they were in the city once they received them.

Do good for people and it will come back to you in many ways.
For Sure Bob, I agree 100%. Thats the point I was making. Its stronger to talk about you being a good guy when its insignificant. I dont think people get this ....

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
For Sure Bob, I agree 100%. Thats the point I was making. Its stronger to talk about you being a good guy when its insignificant. I dont think people get this ....
Not sure if I will send people for ELAC anymore. The Andrew Jones/ELAC departure confused me. I felt like AJ was ELAC.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Mike,

I do agree that "Its the guys RETURNING stuff that are treated with grace and respect that separate the dealers IMHO.", add in "guys having issues with "stuff"....

For this situation that I was referring to, there was no guarantee of any purchase when such a trip was made, and no sale was made
on the day,....it happened subsequently in 2+ phases after what I'm guessing is healthy reflection on what was heard and
the total experience. You made assumptions from the looks of things that are not accurate.
OK, Noted. If we remove my assumptions, then its even more obvious a dealer would be on best behavior if a dealer was trying to EARN a sale that was not closed. But its unimportant... Bob should be the best guy because he treats the little guys with great respect when a sale is not closed.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I actually think much of this -- definitely rambling -- criticism is inapposite. On their respective YouTube channels it seems to me that Mike and Jay know their audience, and that they are delivering what they believe their subscribers want. What is wrong with that? Whether they lead their subscribers and customers astray or to the audio promised land is only for those subscribers and customers to determine for themselves.

Each of their channels has thousands of subscribers. Far from being "out of touch" they seem to be quite in touch with certain segments of the audio world which, apparently, are unfamiliar to you.

Feel free to ignore them and to not watch their channels. But calling them clowns or fools or condescendingly claiming they need a talking to is indefensibly rude and inappropriate.

A lawsuit? Did you go to law school over the weekend?
I wasn't sure that I wanted to comment on this anymore but after reading a lot of this I could not stop myself.
Ron did you watch the two video's by Verastar on Axpona being BS and that one posted here on this thread?
I don't have any issues with him ( the other YT channel is a different topic as he behaves in a much more civilized manor) expressing his opinions and touting his expertise and his products but at the expense of other people and brands that did nothing to get in the cross hairs I certainly do. Calling brand "vomit" "piss" etc. is not something I need to respect or tolerate. I don't know Mike , I have never met him not ever spoken a word, so I would not piss in his pool but he sought out to piss in Bob's, mine and may others because he is seeking something. Respect has to be earned IMO not given. I know how much work and money goes into doing shows and how difficult it is for everyone involved. I have big issues with crazy conspiracy theories with no facts, ignorance to how the business actually works and personal attacks. Both YT channels are totally off base on many business topics and are missing the truth. Bob has stated his truth and he has no obligation to entertain either of the two YT'ers or any YT'er. He runs a business, as do I and all the others at Axpona, MOC, Capfest, PAF etc.
If they /he want to be treated with respect then they should treat others the same way.
Tell me what did Wadax do to deserve being called names? They are wonderful people and supported two rooms at the show, don't like it fine you can have your opinion. They as do others are trying to present and market their hard work and make money, yes make money like every other business. They were touted by three major reviewers, it was those three that called it the best product. If Verastar has issues why not call Mr. Harley, Gregory and Stereo Sound of Japan.
On another subject both of these YT are in business and sell audio gear to make money. They are not without stain. They are not above the clouds and are not pearly white pure , they have motives and business they need to do. That's fine but the pretense that they are not is ridiculous. Insulting people you don't know, denigrating their skill, experience and products to me is disgraceful. I personally do not need to prove myself to Mr. Verastar or anyone who acts like that.

Both YT channels can provide content that their watchers can enjoy or not however trying to gain credibility through lies, theories, non factual information and huge ego pounding just doesn't cut it and I am surprised that this Forum will embrace such behavior.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Not sure if I will send people for ELAC anymore. The Andrew Jones/ELAC departure confused me. I felt like AJ was ELAC.
I dont know enough to comment about the brand Bob... I do like Magnepan however for their value... The LRS+ I saw at AXPONA seemed like a hit ..

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I wasn't sure that I wanted to comment on this anymore but after reading a lot of this I could not stop myself.
Ron did you watch the two video's by Verastar on Axpona being BS and that one posted here on this thread?
I don't have any issues with him ( the other YT channel is a different topic as he behaves in a much more civilized manor) expressing his opinions and touting his expertise and his products but at the expense of other people and brands that did nothing to get in the cross hairs I certainly do. Calling brand "vomit" "piss" etc. is not something I need to respect or tolerate. I don't know Mike , I have never met him not ever spoken a word, so I would not piss in his pool but he sought out to piss in Bob's, mine and may others because he is seeking something. Respect has to be earned IMO not given. I know how much work and money goes into doing shows and how difficult it is for everyone involved. I have big issues with crazy conspiracy theories with no facts, ignorance to how the business actually works and personal attacks. Both YT channels are totally off base on many business topics and are missing the truth. Bob has stated his truth and he has no obligation to entertain either of the two YT'ers or any YT'er. He runs a business, as do I and all the others at Axpona, MOC, Capfest, PAF etc.
If they /he want to be treated with respect then they should treat others the same way.
Tell me what did Wadax do to deserve being called names? They are wonderful people and supported two rooms at the show, don't like it fine you can have your opinion. They as do others are trying to present and market their hard work and make money, yes make money like every other business. They were touted by three major reviewers, it was those three that called it the best product. If Verastar has issues why not call Mr. Harley, Gregory and Stereo Sound of Japan.
On another subject both of these YT are in business and sell audio gear to make money. They are not without stain. They are not above the clouds and are not pearly white pure , they have motives and business they need to do. That's fine but the pretense that they are not is ridiculous. Insulting people you don't know, denigrating their skill, experience and products to me is disgraceful. I personally do not need to prove myself to Mr. Verastar or anyone who acts like that.

Both YT channels can provide content that their watchers can enjoy or not however trying to gain credibility through lies, theories, non factual information and huge ego pounding just doesn't cut it and I am surprised that this Forum will embrace such behavior.
Hi Elliot, with all due respect, didnt you say you would not listen to a "McDonalds" drive through guy consult for HiFi when speaking of me ? This is what drew me in to the convo. I felt AXPONA was absolutely the same old crap different day.. so what ? Its my opinion. and I stand by it. look above .."Ignorance on how the business really works" ?? LOL its very clear you have no idea of my tenure in the industry starting with Exhibiting at CES every year. So your comments are offensive, untrue and Im here to stand for myself. What you say about denigrating is EXACTLY what you are doing to me. You started with the McDonalds insult. You insult me more above. I call your WADAX bluff. Im willing to put my neck out there for a shootout with a $24K DAC. I could have the literal pants embarrassed off me and Im willing to do this for my viewers. They scoff at a $160K DAC, and I personally seek to understand it . The thought of such a thing is very exciting. Lets figure out where it is . Im an honest guy and if its FAR better Ill admit it, even if its a little better Ill admit what I can hear. .. .. This forum is an open forum for people to speak in civil manner which I have done the whole time. You my friend are hurling insults.... Lets be real... Im simply standing up for myself.

Reactions: adyc

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
it hasn't stopped you before
Again, low blow my friend. Ill fight if thats what you want ... I dont think its fair to the readers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing