Balanced tonearm cable

I have turntable with a tonearm that has a 5pin din output. I own an Eleac Alchemy PPA2 phono preamp that has a balanced input.
Unfortunately, there is no sound coming through the Right channel. I asked for support at Eleac. They told me to bridge pin 1 (ground wire) and pin 3 (negative) of both the XLR3 connectors. I have no issues when I connect the turntable unbalanced to the phono preamp.
I can see that ground wire is soldered to pin 1 of both xlr connectors.

Attachments

• B.M.C. Audio MCCI Owner's Manual.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 1
  • project connect it phono ds 5p xlr (1).jpg
    project connect it phono ds 5p xlr (1).jpg
    460 KB · Views: 4
I have turntable with a tonearm that has a 5pin din output. I own an Eleac Alchemy PPA2 phono preamp that has a balanced input.
Unfortunately, there is no sound coming through the Right channel. I asked for support at Eleac. They told me to bridge pin 1 (ground wire) and pin 3 (negative) of both the XLR3 connectors. I have no issues when I connect the turntable unbalanced to the phono preamp.
Do you know that the balanced phono preamp works? To test that, swap the cables at its inputs, left for right. If the dead (right) channel stays put then the preamp is at fault. If the problem moves then the cartridge, arm or cable is at fault. Since it works in both channels using a single-ended cable and preamp, this suggests either the cable or the preamp.

Do you know that the balanced phono preamp works? To test that, swap the cables at its inputs, left for right. If the dead (right) channel stays put then the preamp is at fault. If the problem moves then the cartridge, arm or cable is at fault. Since it works in both channels using a single-ended cable and preamp, this suggests either the cable or the preamp.
Thanks. I opened the din 5p and it seems some wires are disconnected! I will have to solder them. It won't be easy because the din 5p connectors are tiny. But at least I have found the cause.

Reactions: Atmasphere
Thanks. I opened the din 5p and it seems some wires are disconnected! I will have to solder them. It won't be easy because the din 5p connectors are tiny. But at least I have found the cause.
I have bought a new Pro-ject balanced cable. It seems to be fixed (both channels are working). But there's still a buzzing sound even when the tonearm and needle aren't not on the record. Might this be a ground loop problem?

I have bought a new Pro-ject balanced cable. It seems to be fixed (both channels are working). But there's still a buzzing sound even when the tonearm and needle aren't not on the record. Might this be a ground loop problem?
No. More likely the arm cable isn't wired correctly. If we are talking about a balanced connection, pin 3 of the DIN connection is ground and should tie to the shields of both channels, which in turn tie to pin 1 of each XLR.

Reactions: Kurosawsa
No. More likely the arm cable isn't wired correctly. If we are talking about a balanced connection, pin 3 of the DIN connection is ground and should tie to the shields of both channels, which in turn tie to pin 1 of each XLR.
I got a Pro-ject X8 Evo SuperPack Quintet Blue turntable. It's still in factory mode (I haven't changed anything yet).
I had a closer look on the din 5p connector and it seems the wiring is ok. The ground wires are connected to the middle pin.

Do I have to detach the tonearm to see how the wiring is done inside the tonearm?

I got a Pro-ject X8 Evo SuperPack Quintet Blue turntable. It's still in factory mode (I haven't changed anything yet).
I had a closer look on the din 5p connector and it seems the wiring is ok. The ground wires are connected to the middle pin.

Do I have to detach the tonearm to see how the wiring is done inside the tonearm?
Don't worry about that yet. We don't have evidence there's a problem with it.

What is connected to pin 1 of the XLRs?

I have opened the damaged cable and I believe it is the copper that they have soldered on the pin 1 of both xlr3pins. I will try to make a picture later

Attachments

• 20240703_184704.jpg
    20240703_184704.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 1
I have opened the damaged cable and I believe it is the copper that they have soldered on the pin 1 of both xlr3pins. I will try to make a picture later
I have had the same problem with a Jelco JAC-506 balanced cable. I did not check the internal wiring of that cable unfortunately. It's been a year ago

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing