Bayz Audio Counterpoint 2.0 >>>>Rhapsody.Audio

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Please keep us updated on how you get along?
My hunch, based on my own experience of stereo bass stacks, is they sound better when sited outside the main speakers.
Otherwise I felt as though i was listening to the main speakers working to complement the bass, rather than the other way 'round
In your experience did you find the front back position of the stacks mattered WRT the front baffle of the mains?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I am breaking in the Bayz Audio Corantes (smaller brother of the Counterpoints) as we 'speak' and I have a "six pack" of 12" Rel Gibraltar G1s
(3 high x 2 channel) which I intend to integrate in the coming weeks. Stay Tuned.

I agree that fear, menace, and awe exist from 30 down to 15hz. My system and room does -3db to15hz.

However If you dismiss Bayz because they currently don't provide a sub design, you are missing the finest design I've ever heard, and certainly among the very best speakers at any price. The Courantes are clearly better to my ear than the best of Rockports current offerings; the Cygnus and the Lyra. (and everything else I've ever heard or owned). I've made a point to hear almost all of the contenders, and not just under show conditions, but in many cost no object dedicated systems.

P.S. I dont anticipate significant problems with integration of the REL towers and the Bayz, as the Rels are blindingly fast for a sealed enclusure design but they will most likely need relocation outside and behind the Bayz Courantes.

Below is my setup with my previous main speakers; the Rockport Cygnus:
View attachment 63201

I got the same speaker as your old speaker. I don’t have subwoofers but I found the bass from Cygnus speaker is very satisfying. Can I also know how the bass of Courante compared to Cygnus?

Cournate is a two way speaker. I really like to find out the bass performance of Courante.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Ron and and everyone,

I'm glad to be here on the forum, me and my colleagues are working to answer the questions. In this forum we will announce our latest developments, please keep your eyes on what's going on in the coming months. There will be many new releases!

I am always interested in omni design speakers. I do hope you can give your opinion of your speaker against MBL which is also omni design.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
I am always interested in omni design speakers. I do hope you can give your opinion of your speaker against MBL which is also omni design.

There are two very important differences when it comes to how speakers work. Direction of driving force and mass of membrane. At BRS (Bay Radial Speaker), the direction of motion and radiation coincide, the diaphragm being an exterior lightweight thin film with a surface area of 50-100 at Counterpoint, hundreds times that of conventional dome speakers. Due to the principle of its operation, there is no bracking mode. The BRS is a 90-94dB, high-efficiency, high-bandwidth (800Hz-50kHz -3dB) twisted-pulse, highly attenuated tweeter.

In MBL, the driving force and the radiation direction are perpendicular to each other and use a large mass of membrane, so much greater driving force and displacement are required to produce sound, which has several disadvantages. Extreme bad efficiency, narrow bandwidth and poor pulse transmission with poor damping compared to my expectations.

Reactions: seriouslyhifi

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I got the same speaker as your old speaker. I don’t have subwoofers but I found the bass from Cygnus speaker is very satisfying. Can I also know how the bass of Courante compared to Cygnus?

Cournate is a two way speaker. I really like to find out the bass performance of Courante.

I have had the Courantes now for about 4-5 months. My space is 5.5M X 10M X 3.3M. The Courantes regarding bass pressurize the room and go down into the mid 20's with regards to the low extension.

My impression of the Courante bass does not focus on how low they go. I never think about how low they are going and if I should be adding subs. I DO have several speakers that go even into the mid 20's extension wise, but I feel they DO needs subs.

With the Courante it's the bass impact and dynamics and their linear type bass. When you hear a few bass instruments playing simultaneously you can hear the different bass notes as well as the raising or lowering of dynamics of each individual instrument.

I get the sense when I hear the bass notes that there is never a notice of any bass hump or recess of frequencies in the bass region. It seems all notes from the midrange down as low as the Courantes go is all there and differentiation of bass notes is always in full bloom

The Courante and even more so the Counterpoint are VERY full bodied sounding speakers even in a large room. The bass foundation is majestic and lays the ground for the great 3D holographic soundstage with great layering on the soundstage.

Bass to me is very room dependent, my observations are from my room and one other room that is a bit smaller than my space, where I sold and installed Courantes a few months ago. Same bass character in both rooms. In the smaller room the Zanden tube integrated is driving the Courante. In my space the Pilium Achilles SS amplification is being used.

I am not at all saying that people should not add subs if they want to go to 15Hz or lower, that's great if there room supports a true 15Hz at loud volumes. When I do this It's too much bass energy for my personal preferences, but that's just me.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Here is a video with the Bayz Counterpoints playing and also a nice description of the speakers.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Reactions: Bayz-Audio

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
We dont yet have dealer/s in UK but working on that.
Nearest demo option is in Denmark for now.
Where in Denmark are you located ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

The Goldmund subs operate between 10Hz and 20Hz only.

. . . !

To which model of Goldmund subwoofer are you referring here?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
To which model of Goldmund subwoofer are you referring here?

It was the version before this Logos 3N https://goldmund.com/logos-3n-infrasubwoofer/ These are spec'd a bit higher than 10 Hz, the pair I have are spec'd at -3db at 10Hz, but of course that is going to be totally room dependent.

I have this version-

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/goldmund-3n-subwoofer-overview.95128/

The version I have were for running with Apologues which go down to 20Hz and then the 3Ns were crossed over in the low 20's, mainly for LFE in HT setups.

I sold four pairs of Apologues and had these 3N's connected to two different systems at different times over the last 10 years. Good for LFE.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
Fascinating but expensive. Any plans to introduce more affordable versions using this technology?

As I announced earlier, we are planning a lot of new releases this year, but we can probably start designing the entry-level speaker model later this year or early next year.

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
As I announced earlier, we are planning a lot of new releases this year, but we can probably start designing the entry-level speaker model later this year or early next year.
Dear Zoltan
Your design is a paradigm shifter an industry disruptor. Good for you! I certainly look forward to hearing about your new models. And maybe hearing them in Warsaw next year.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Will the Counterpoint remain the flagship?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Reactions: Bayz-Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing