Best Amp - Speaker Combination you've ever Heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry...not always following your adventures...are you saying dual 18" cone subs (ie, pure cone no horn)?

No, horn loaded.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry...not always following your adventures...are you saying dual 18" cone subs (ie, pure cone no horn)?

Thanks..so you anticipate a massive horn across 2 x 18" cones for each channel? Quite a sub! Presume that will physically be massive as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks..so you anticipate a massive horn across 2 x 18" cones for each channel? Quite a sub! Presume that will physically be massive as well.

That is more for Midbass. Can go up to 5 feet tall, 90 to 130 cm wide, 1m deep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome! That's dedication! Efficiency of space is the primary reason I have not ventured to horns...even the Elysian with its horn subs has a massive footprint, let alone your all out design. Well done...look forward to when you have finally got it all manufactured and built...been a long journey but imagine it will be well worth it when its finally done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Awesome! That's dedication! Efficiency of space is the primary reason I have not ventured to horns...even the Elysian with its horn subs has a massive footprint, let alone your all out design. Well done...look forward to when you have finally got it all manufactured and built...been a long journey but imagine it will be well worth it when its finally done.

Sorry I won't have those subs. I was discussing for those who do, and comparing to LV which carries over woofer in the Midbass. These require space but is quite cheap, and will be quite superior to the LV. If I ever get a system, it will definitely have dual 15s in the Midbass. The slotted open baffle design does make efficient use of floor space, though not vertical space

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All makes sense. Thanks.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I gave you quotes of both retail and used

I am well aware of horn loaded woofers, but I prefer dual 15s or 18s. I also know that the horn loading amplifies by 6db.

You know that it only amplifies by 6db how? Please provide reference. My understanding is that the degree of compression affects how much sensitivity one can get from a horn. For compression drivers, the compression chamber is built into the driver but for a cone driver, you need to build the compression chamber into the horn itself. There are likely limits to what can be done but I would be surprised if 6db was all that is possible (although that would be 4x decrease in needed power).

Your preference is just that...a preference but not a fact that two direct radiators is better (whatever that means) than a single driver of the same diameter in a horn. I doubt you can get the same acoustic output with equivalent distortion with two drivers in a parallel direct radiator design.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry I won't have those subs. I was discussing for those who do, and comparing to LV which carries over woofer in the Midbass. These require space but is quite cheap, and will be quite superior to the LV. If I ever get a system, it will definitely have dual 15s in the Midbass. The slotted open baffle design does make efficient use of floor space, though not vertical space
Quite superior? I doubt that...Kevin Scott has decades of experience on this one design and you...very little I think. You have valid opinions on a lot of systems but the LV is not one of those I consider your opinion valid...you have an axe to grind there somehow...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Quite superior? I doubt that...Kevin Scott has decades of experience on this one design and you...very little I think. You have valid opinions on a lot of systems but the LV is not one of those I consider your opinion valid...you have an axe to grind there somehow...

It's not my experience. The people who designed that horn have more experience than Kevin. My opinion on LV is formed at the same place as yours, from Munich every year. Neither of us know how it sounds anywhere else. I do know horn designers and what they think of that sub from a design perspective, and what I can hear

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Convergent Jl 2 sign and CAT pre on my own designs with good tape
I use to go to dealers to hear better but thats long time ago , never feel the urge anymore .

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I’ll provide three of the top pairings I’ve heard:

1. CH Precision and Stenheim. I heard this combo last weekend at a friends house and it was superb.
2. Norma Audio and Rosso Fiorentino. This combo is affordable and goes toe to toe with anything I’ve heard.
3. T+A PA1530R and, believe it or not, the Polk LSiM 707. This particular pairing could have made a name for Matthew Polk’s last flagship speaker. I’ve never heard Polk speakers sound even close to as good before or after.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Sunny

Stenheim and CH Precision. Showing the Reference Ultimes in my store. We have every single Stenheim Loudspeaker in stock for immediate installs in your homes...

Attachments

• IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8972.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8974.JPG
    IMG_8974.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 46

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Martin Logan CLS with Krell KSA 50 two words "Perfect Match"
Audiomat Soflege with Leedh Psyche ,one of Best 2 Way Speakers ever.
Musical Fidelity David with Triangle Comete,that's all it takes to have fun with the music.
Amaudio monos A200 with B&W 800 Matrix, i'm not a B&W Fan, but that makes me speechless.
Radford STA 25 with Quad ESL 57...Voices..Voices..please more.
Convergent Jl1 with Audiophysik Medea, the best I've ever heard
at audio fair.
Electrocompaniet aw 250r with Jmlab Utopia.musically extremely good bass. DIY for 10 years I only know new things from friends.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

David

Aug 11, 2012
Vivid G1 Spirits, with top-of-the-line CAT electronics.
Hi Jim,
Could you tell us more about this combination G1 spirit & CAT amps ?
I have listnened to CAT JL5 Black Path not so long ago ... i liked a lot this amplifier.
Very interested to know more about the VIVID + CAT combination ; particularly with Giya series ...
BR - David

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
David,

Sorry for the late reply - I had surgery earlier this week and - frankly - forgot about your question.

My reply is not complicated. This client had advanced end-of-life cancer, so It was a briefer than usual session.

My response was due to how - before I even completed a few necessary adjustments - I kept finding myself falling into the music from my set-up playlist - tracks that I have heard thousands of times.

FWIW - This had never happened to me at this level before. As such, I cannot forget the experience...

Reactions: christoph

Tomictime

May 30, 2020
Vandy 7 with purpose built Vandy high pass 7 amps

Attachments

• 78E2FCEE-4E12-489D-923E-0B377349DEA7.jpeg
    78E2FCEE-4E12-489D-923E-0B377349DEA7.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: sbo6

Tomictime

May 30, 2020
MBL 101 with AMS-100 amp was magical….

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET monoblocks and Tidal Contriva Dicera-SE...I have not heard a speaker/amp combination, and I have been to many audio shows, that I would trade my system for..it's that special..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing