best cost no object, cables

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I wondered the same, and a search found n/m = never mind (or not meaningful). Good point, which led me to make pare my response to you to the key thought. Given the temper of this discussion, and typical discussions on What's Best, it's something for you too to consider.

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
I wondered the same, and a search found n/m = never mind (or not meaningful). Good point, which led me to make pare my response to you to the key thought. Given the temper of this discussion, and typical discussions on What's Best, it's something for you too to consider.

Looked it up too:

Acronym Definition: N/M = Not Meaningful, Nevermind, No Message, No Marks (cargo), Newton Per Meter & Nuthin' Much .
So apparently, The "Industry Expert" is not much of a "Communications Expert"......

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
On the contrary, his comment was apt, while you've now gone from being someone appropriately recommending a cable set in line with the OP's request, to acting in line with your moniker. Time to move on.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
On the contrary, his comment was apt, while you've now gone from being someone appropriately recommending a cable set in line with the OP's request, to acting in line with your moniker. Time to move on.

I took exception because he needlessly butted in to our conversation.
We have a contentious history.....

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I use an AudioDharma high power cooker on all of my cables, the biggest issue is rough handling during shipping can undo some or even most of the burn-in. Usually it's just some and it settles down quickly but I've had cables, that I assume were handled with "extra care", that are like starting all over again. Different cables handle shipping differently too, my litz wire isn't effected by shipping that much while the ribbon cables have much more of an issue with it. I think it's because the litz wire uses painted-on insulation where the ribbon cable's teflon insulation may shift wrt the conductor metal due to rough handling more.

Yes -an Interesting analogy re the handling/ stressing/tensioning of cables--the very British Mfg Naim have this rather "peculiar " device which in their words relaxes and releases any of the above and enables the items to be delivered to the customer in ideal condition for sonic transfer /etc. To the outside world the word "Heath Robinson" pops up but this treatment is delivered with straight upper lip I'm assured:)!

So the cables are hooked up to the machine in Image 1 hanging full length--then the machine shakes them 172 times one direction and same the other(why this figure I don't know) Image 2.

Curious if it works;)

BruceD

Cables 1.jpg Cables 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rpk and DaveC

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
We have a contentious history.....

A contentious history is all the more reason to be demure, thoughtful and introspective before lobbing a sarcastic comment. Heal wounds; don't pick at them.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yes -an Interesting analogy re the handling/ stressing/tensioning of cables--the very British Mfg Naim have this rather "peculiar " device which in their words relaxes and releases any of the above and ebables the items to be delivered to the customer in ideal condition for sonic transfer /etc. To the outside world the word "Heath Robinson" pops up but this treatment is delivered with straight upper lip I'm assured:)!

So the cables are hooked up to the machine in Image 1 hanging full length--then the machine shakes them 172 times one direction and same the other(why this figure I don't know) Image 2.

Curious if it works;)

BruceD

View attachment 69708 View attachment 69709

Thanks, that's very interesting!

I wonder if the wires settle mechanically to the point they have less stress from the materials the wire is made of compressing and stretching during spooling, unspooling and building the wire into a cable... If this is the case then my theory on burn-in and shipping may be on-track. I'm thinking it's a phenomenon that takes place between the conductor and the insulation, so if the position of one vs the other is shifted a bit due to how it's handled during shipping, then this shift would require more burn-in. I think when the cable is coiled up, shipped and then installed after the Naim de-stressing it will still have an effect on burn-in, but pre-conditioning the cable like Naim is doing seems like it would prevent that from happening to a degree, possibly to the point any shift is no longer audible and the cable stays burned-in.

Come to think of it, after a demo cable has been used a lot this seems like it's less of an issue, but it's always an issue to some degree with a new cable.

The cables I make are so different in size between interconnect, speaker and power cables, I really need something like a shaker table of some sort instead of the device Naim has... But I really do think this is well worth looking into as being able to ship burned-in cables would be so much better for everyone. The cable cooker helps a lot, but this piece of the puzzle has been missing and I wasn't sure how to how to solve it. It doesn't seem like careful packaging could do it without costing a massive amount of money for shipping tons of padding and larger boxes, which is also a waste of boxes and packing materials. But the realization that this isn't an issue with well used demo cables was an epiphany. So thanks again! :) I will see if I can figure out some way to simulate shipping, then burn-in using the cable cooker once the cable has settled mechanically.

Reactions: BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thank you Dave for theinformative reply--kudos!

Further to the rather quirkiness of the esteemed company -- they actually endorse this method of power transfer:cool:-

Pic taken at Naim dealer demo--no need for power boards /conditioners/etc --just piggy back 'em in the one hole(?)

Must be some method in the "madness"--or do they know something we don't

Hmm rather straining I fear:p

BruceD
Naim1.jpg

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thank you Dave for theinformative reply--kudos!

Further to the rather quirkiness of the esteemed company -- they actually endorse this method of power transfer:cool:-

Pic taken at Naim dealer demo--no need for power boards /conditioners/etc --just piggy back 'em in the one hole(?)

Must be some method in the "madness"--or do they know something we don't

Hmm rather straining I fear:p

BruceD
View attachment 69769

Nice, that is a great idea as all of the systems grounds will be tied together as close to the components as possible. I use a modded SurgeX power distributor that does the same thing internally, but results from power distributors and conditioners can vary, so the Naim recommendation bypasses this issue while still allowing all components to be plugged into the same ground. If you use more than one line there can also be issues if the lines aren't run correctly so it bypasses this issue as well. Not many systems really need multiple lines.

I think it might be a good idea to support the plugs somehow, I agree some strain and the issue of walking past the stack and hitting them could be issues but the idea is really a good one imo.

Reactions: BruceD

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys and ladies:) Any opinion about High Fidelity cables? Can they be included in this category (best cost no object)? I am now comparing Gryphon VIP XLR to HFC Double Helix Signature and the HFC cable seems to have more resolution. So far, I prefer it to the Gryphon cable, just worried, that it might add something to the sound, which is not there in the first place.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
There is no best cable for everyone.

It will depend on your system and personal taste.

Expensive cables tend to show lot of details but sound analytical if not in the right system.

I had done lot of cable rolling in the past but now I had run out of gas.

This year I had done tube rolling for 3 months and run out of gas too.

;)

Yes WBF member Dave's and Sablon cable seems to work well at not exorbitant price.

If you go for any high end cables, be sure to audition them in your system before making purchase decision.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Has anyone compared High Fidelity cables to the likes of Sablon, MIT, Transparent, Tara Labs etc.? Would appreciate your feedback based on real listening experience. Thank you.

Reactions: displayname

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I used the Straightwire Maestro for many moons.
Before that I used the Dynaudio OCOS cable. In retrospect, I should have kept these....

Have a 35' pair of OCOS (with two pairs of red and black adapters) for sale. Send me a PM if interested.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
And what is the price of the Fidelium per meter pair?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes -an Interesting analogy re the handling/ stressing/tensioning of cables--the very British Mfg Naim have this rather "peculiar " device which in their words relaxes and releases any of the above and enables the items to be delivered to the customer in ideal condition for sonic transfer /etc. To the outside world the word "Heath Robinson" pops up but this treatment is delivered with straight upper lip I'm assured:)!

Curious if it works;)

BruceD

View attachment 69708 View attachment 69709
I m sure it would sell if they make a small portable version.
Unfortunately my cables are currently relaxing :) in a luxury health spa .

Metal stress relieve is usually done by heating /cooling down in a controlled manner

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing