Best DACs comparison test result [[My Subjective Opinion]]

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
TotalDac is also in the same price range as some of the lower level Lampizator's configured, although I'm not sure yet that one can get both balanced and unbalanced outputs at the lower product level (with subs I'd need both or an external crossover). Do you know about Ayon? Thanks,
Sorry, there is no Ayon dealer in Hong Kong.

Totaldac is an excellent brand too but Lampizator is a bit warmer and I guess you may like the latter more according to your request on #138.
:)

Chrk

May 22, 2015
London
Sorry, there is no Ayon dealer in Hong Kong.

Totaldac is an excellent brand too but Lampizator is a bit warmer and I guess you may like the latter more according to your request on #138.
:)

I was curious about total DAC (their bigger version) and the guy is quite approachable and nice, as opposed to Trinity. I am curious to know if anyone has tried his gigafilter USB cable, as you know the Trinity is using USB and when I tried to get the upgrade from Dietmer he ended up refusing to do it (i probably bought the only one in the UK and there is not distributor here, but he refused to quote me a direct price, only retail as if I was going through a shop).

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Reactions: leyenda

Chrk

May 22, 2015
London

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Audiomart is free to sell on whereas audiogon charges similar to paypal. Both attract a global audience and get consolidated by the hifishark site. Another low cost European focused site is audiomark.

Reactions: Chrk

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you I sent him a message (I am in the UK though). I usually check audiogon, do you prefer audiomart ? I happen to have some equipment to sell.

I follow Hi Fi Shark, which agglomerates ads from many audio classifieds worldwide. You can save searches and even get emails every morning when one of those gets new listing.

I use Audiomart, Audio Asylum, head-fi and Audio Circle primarily, and occasionally eBay (high fees). I tend to save Agon for special need occasions, especially as their fees have gone way up (btw, you don’t have to use their PP payment system if the other party agrees - good to know for PP f/f payments w/o fees; the seller justs has to mark the item as paid). I have done international purchases and sales (lighter gear with the latter) with those mentioned above. And as the other reply mentioned, there are more country and region specific sites in Europe and Asia.

Reactions: Chrk

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Heard it earlier this week...nice little DAC. Will get to hear it in my own system compared to Kassandra this coming Monday...
Any update related to above?

Thanks!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I was curious about total DAC (their bigger version) and the guy is quite approachable and nice, as opposed to Trinity. I am curious to know if anyone has tried his gigafilter USB cable, as you know the Trinity is using USB and when I tried to get the upgrade from Dietmer he ended up refusing to do it (i probably bought the only one in the UK and there is not distributor here, but he refused to quote me a direct price, only retail as if I was going through a shop).
Try the Final touch audio USB cable....

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
You mean Terminator movie???

My camcorder is too cheap model, so sound is very bad.

But I posted it with Formula xHD.

Here~!

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-53#post-590372
Hello Esotar,
I’m one of the few people who disliked the Terminator and thought it worse than T+A DAC8DSD but that could have been a mismatch with my SGM2015.
I’d be interested in your thoughts/ranking of the Formula XHD Rev2 as I believe it’s a huge upgrade over standard XHD and would probably gain another 10 points on your list.
All just for fun.
Blue58

Last edited:
Reactions: musicfirst1

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
If you want the best interface to a dac, use Ethernet. If you do that, only a couple dacs are in this arena. Also, if you use the ps audio ds dac, make sure you are using the latest firmware (WINDOM) and you tune the settings that produce the best sound. Windom was a nice boost in SQ for me. As for settings, I keep the dac output around 85 with attenuation off, then my preamp will be around 11-12 setting for volume

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Highstream brought up Ayon and i have their cd5s as well as ps audio’s direct stream and pwt feeding lamm pre and amps to marten birds - the ayon has a Skylla dac within I believe and provides a more vigorous leading dynamic edge to sounds giving more attack and weight and presence to percussion so I preferred it for rock and lively jazz while the direct stream was more detailed and spacious and preferred for more contemplative nearfield listening in my setup. Anyway Windom is a big step up for the direct stream imo and once my Ayon gets back from the shop it will be interesting to compare them again.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I should update to say that I picked up a Lampi Atlantic dac used last August and had it upgraded to the current TRP model. With some tube rolling and adding a Supratek preamp, I've become a happy camper.

Adding to that, I've just this day been experimenting with AV Audioservice EVP isolation feet (block style)) under ATC SCM19A active floorstanders. Norm Varney, developer of the EVPs, argues that the place to start and greatest effect is under speakers. A half-baked comparison with Gaia III's, which I've been using for several months, sounded promising, so I'm going to pull the Gaia's and see how the EVP do in their place. The Gaia are more convenient than blocks, being as they are screwed into the speakers. I actually hope it comes out at least even, but I'll go with the better sound. I already have EVP's under one piece of the preamp and an Oppo 203, easily bettering Iso-Pucks in vibration sensitive locations. After the speakers, they go against Marigo mystery feet under the Lampi dac and the preamp's PSU. The EVP's are relatively inexpensive as isolation goes -- the 2" ones are $45/piece before current discount (and more for previous customers). And no, I have no stake in AV Audioservice.

Last edited:

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Congrats Highstream - Lampi’s are high on my list of interest. The ps audio direct stream w/ newest firmware “windom” really expanded and clarified the sonic picture in my setup and I see in this thread there are many many others of r2r and delta sigma camps that garner much more praise and attention. So anyway I have the itch to push the dac in my system but am stymied by analysis paralysis. Would love to do in home auditions of some of the favorites in this thread. Did PS audio’s direct stream‘s new firmware close the gap with some of the aforementioned reference level dacs or should I scratch that itch? Also any love out there for esoteric k’s and if so where might their dac fit in style and in the opinion hierarchy?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I was surprised when I saw how far down the comparison list the Direcstream was. Windom update helped in some ways, and a good preamp also does -- I used a PrimaLuna Dialogue with it while awaiting the Supratek -- but most everyone else has been improving too. The TRP with some tube rolling is a substantial step up, and obviously there are others that are even better. The most important thing is to find a sound that you like and enjoy living with, and of course fits your budget.

As a follow up about the EVPs, they are a clear step up in clarity, smoothness, articulation and presence from the Gaia III's. A good example is that with the EVPs I can hear every note of fast piano runs, something the Gaias smudged. Extended across the music spectrum that’s a big deal. The bad news, however, is that the sound with the EVPs is dryer than warmer/liquid and the tonal pitch raised a bit, like there is processing.

Edit/update. With system synergy, changing one thing can throw off the balance just as well as fix it. While I await other warmer rectifiers, I remembered that I had a a barely burned in 596 that got put aside when the base adapter broke. So just to see what might happen, I put it in the preamp’s PSU and all of a sudden there’s warmth again and Johnny Hartman is sounding like the sonorous baritone he was, instead of a leaky tenor. So I’d say there’s more than hope for the EVPs, one of the great bargains in audio. To be fair to the Gaia IIIs, Isoacoustics now tells me that they are not so hot when the speaker is within 10% of their upper weight range, which the IIIs are, and are really at their best on hardwood floors, at least w/o their optional carpet spikes. Now they tell me...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancho and KLH007

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have a TRP and I have to say with the tubes I’m using it rivals the speed of analog. Ot does not leave me lacking for the TT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing