Best full size TOSLINK ever made ?

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I have a unusual application where I need a really good TOSLINK optical cable. The old school full size connector on both ends.

I am also interested to hear from anyone who has done good AB with optical cables. Back in the day I remember doing a lot of AB with the very best optical cables and not hearing much difference, unlike copper SPDIF. For me back in the day copper won out. But, I now need a really good optical and i have not kept up with optical cables. I see these seem to have gone way out of favor and people have moved on to USB and Ethernet.

I am GREAT with buying a used one off ebay as I kinda think older might be better because at one time for a short period optical was considered the best way to hook a transport to a DAC.

BUT.. If there is not that much difference, maybe I will just go with a "good" used cable maybe from Audioqust from back when..

I did see this, which was during that peak in optical. But that is a lot and I am not sure it would really be that much better.

I need it short, like .75M or 1M..

I'm kind of with you as far as sound differences when I've compared in the past.

I seem to remember the number of fiber optic strands as being an important spec with optical cables and what kind of fiber is used.

The audioquest you posted has 300 quartz fibers, for instance.

Many people have recommended "LIfatec" fiber optic cables over the years. I use one now and have no issues with it. It is a very thin cable and doesn't have the added wraps that make a cable like the Audioquest much thicker but the Lifatec does have 470 fiber optic strands. I've never had a problem with the couple I've purchased from them and they perform well in terms of reliability and sound for me.

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Reactions: aLLeARS and HenSch
Interesting... And cheap :) Good suggestion...

I was also just looking at Audioquest. It does seem to be all about the number of fibers..

I am going to continue researching. I seem to remember ST Glass connector/cable.. I could maybe replace the interface & connector on each end.. I know I can get to SPDIF if I have TOSLINK, but, I dont want a copper cable connecting the devices. I think I could maybe use a little transformer one one end or the other of the SPDIF coax connectors, but, that is a lot of work.

I am going to continue look at TOSLINK cables and solutions.. For now..

Hi Chris,
I've been using these from the Toslink output on my OLED TV's to an outboard DAC. They are true glass transmission medium cables.
They custom make any length cable with any connector that you want. Delivery was quick and the price is decent.

Yes, I think I will order one of their cables. It does seem to be the best one.

Off topic.. I just noticed a wild part of your setup. "4 channel custom I/R remote controlled mono-block attenuators (relays & Texas Components resistors)" Now THATS the way to do that.. Metal foil resistors are so awesome. I am into materials and a metal foil is so much better a material then any type of film of carbon. Are those the Vishay metal foil ? or thier own Bulk Metal Foil resistors ? If the Bulk Metal, which ones did you use ? They have a lot of options.. I like metal foil for the low noise and, well, lots of other things.

With most DAC's having such a high output level (the one I'm using puts out 10Vrms at 0dB full scale) and most amplifiers only needing 1-3Vrms input for full power, high quality attenuation is the only thing needed between a DAC and amplifier. This configuration is most transparent when the attenuator is as close as possible to the input of the amplifier. In my case there is 15 feet of wire between the DAC and attenuator and only 12 inches of wire between the attenuators and amplifiers. Attenuators raise the effective output impedance of the DAC and therefore lose the ability to drive the RCL of a long cable effectively. But if you can put the attenuator at the input of the amplifier, that problem is overcome, and you have an ideal situation. As you said "Now THATS the way to do that"... It's the most transparent way to control volume.
These are the ones:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu