Best matching tube preamplifier for Dan D’Agostino s250 amplifier

Transmission

Mar 25, 2021
Dear friends,
I am looking for the best matching tube preamplifier with Dan D’AGOSTINO momentum s250.
I have tried the allnic l5000 dht, but the sound had lots of hiss and not so clear/clean background.
I have been testing the Shindo massette and it’s much better in terms of silent background and musicality.
I will appreciate your advice and experience with some different tube preamplifiers to match it.

sincerely,
eran.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 42
I know a few folks who have happily paired an Audio Research REF5se, REF6, or REF10 with Dag amps.

BAT Rex2 or new Rex3 preamp would be a great match I believe. Rex2’s are a steal right now since the 3 just came out.

George

conrad johnson GAT. superb match and you will not get better for a tube preamp.

Reactions: thedudeabides
Never tried with DAG amps but VAC and the less popular Viva Audio brand are doing very good tube preamps.
A

conrad johnson GAT. superb match and you will not get better for a tube preamp.
The voice of experience...I was going to post and saw this. Yes, I was going to suggest CJ GAT 2 would be a great match with the D'Agostino S250. As an owner of CJ preamps for 20 consecutive years (culminating in the CJ GAT 2) until late last year, I can say it is a phenomenally good preamp.

One thing to consider with the GAT 2 is that it only has RCA outputs I believe and the S250 has only XLR inputs. Would need an adapter to connect the two together. Does that have any impact on performance? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure other here have experience doing that?

George

I noticed your other thread on dac changes on the horizon. Both of the ( excellent ) dacs under discussion allow volume control iirc. Perhaps hold off on preamp changes until you can play with going direct from dac to amps? You may learn from the experience and that may help hone your search requirements.

One thing to consider with the GAT 2 is that it only has RCA outputs I believe and the S250 has only XLR inputs. Would need an adapter to connect the two together. Does that have any impact on performance? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure other here have experience doing that?

George

Yes you need an adapter. I used rca cable with adapter at the amp end. Sounds glorious.
LL21 used his GAT witj Gryphon amps with great success.
Pretty easy to have the amp end terminated balanced if you want.

Useful Things from Neutrik ...good quality

Reactions: christoph
I'm running an ARC Ref 40 with my S250, and they sound very nice together - - the best my system has ever sung! No noise, either. Extremely quiet for a tube preamp.

Reactions: Bobvin
Seems like it might be worthwhile to stay balanced throughout the signal path given the amplifier design. The first tube pre that comes to mind in that regard is from Atma-sphere. Fully differential from input to output.

Years ago I listened to the 250 driven by a CAT Ultimate pre and I remember it as being a musically mesmerising experience!
AFAIK, the CAT is not balanced, however.

Dear friends,
I am looking for the best matching tube preamplifier with Dan D’AGOSTINO momentum s250.
I have tried the allnic l5000 dht, but the sound had lots of hiss and not so clear/clean background.
I have been testing the Shindo massette and it’s much better in terms of silent background and musicality.
I will appreciate your advice and experience with some different tube preamplifiers to match it.

sincerely,
eran.
Welcome transmission to wbf. nice system you have there.what brand are the speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing