Best Mattress

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wasn't sure where to post this, but my vote is for McRoskey...

Here's something you use about one third of every day.

I've had problems with my back in the past, so the right mattress is very important to me. I wanted a mattress that would be both good for my back and luxurious. Here's what I found:

"For over 100 years, every McRoskey mattress has been made carefully, lovingly, and almost completely by hand with detail of workmanship not possible in mass production. We build to order in our own factory in San Francisco. Our craftsmen and women are dedicated to making the world's best bed."

http://www.mcroskey.com/how_our_beds_are_made.shtml

Love my McRoskey mattress -- incredibly comfortable, excellent support, luxurious sleep.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We also buy high-end mattresses but probably not to the level mentioned above. My biggest issue with Mattress is sagging. They put a ton of padding on top to make them soft in the showroom, only to have them sag in a few months. You can no longer flip them. And rotation doesn't work because then you are sleeping in the indentations of your partner. I have learned buying something with less padding and somewhat firmer than you think you should buy, helps with this. As is reading the riot act to the salesman to not show you anything that is going to leave "body impressions" as they call it in the trade.

And of course, it is the most crooked business in the world, making a different model number for every retail channel, making comparison buying impossible. And having to haggle to get the right price which most people don't know about. I always get percentages off of sales prices even on items not being on "sale." When the salesperson tells me this other unit is 20%, I say I want that on the other one and then some. You are more effective with these techniques, the higher end the mattress is.

I agree that it is an important purchase.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And of course, it is the most crooked business in the world, making a different model number for every retail channel, making comparison buying impossible.

That is so true as we found the exact same thing

FWIW the Aireloom mattress we purchased never has to be flipped. We have had it for almost 3 years now and it is flawless with no body impressions.

I don't want to tell you what we paid however

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Although I've only spent one night on one, I can heartily recommend the Tempurpedic matresses. Very comfortable, and becuase there's no pillow top per se, no worries about body impressions.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We've used the Tempurpedic mattress for years and love it. No flipping, no sagging, and it auto-adjusts for the weight and pressure point idiosyncracies of each user.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My wife hates being hot (in general but also in bed). So we were warned away from Tempurpedic for that reason. Should we have?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Funny, some threads get started exactly as I take interest in something... So, FYI, just yesterday I ordered one of those Kluft mattresses... supposed to be good, not sure if they are high end... definitely firm.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
We purchased a Stearns and Foster after trying a lot of styles and manufacturers; Sleep number, Tempurpedic, and various machine and hand made traditionals. It has been a great mattress. This especially true after back surgery.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Very happy w/our temperpedic. Helped with some upper back issues and keeps my wife (and me of course) hot.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Amir,

You may want to reread your post and rephrase. ;)

You guys just KILL me!!!!!!

Tempurpedic here. I suffered from chronic stiff necks and lower back pain. Now I get a stiff neck maybe once or twice a year and that is usually when I'm away from home.

It does get warm. That is true. I on the other hand like my wife HOT :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We found that minor adjustment to the thickness of covers used seems to alleviate the heat issues from the Tempurpedic.

BTW, their firmest pillow is the finest I've ever used.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Must be all the extra energy from switching to the best multivitamins :)

Lorrie

Nov 14, 2012
What would you define a high end mattress as? Large price tag or higher quality materials?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing