Best phono stage?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
What is the general view on highest quality phono stage
I am looking for phono stage with at least two inputs three would be better and adjustable loading
I guess SS would be lower maintenance but if tubes were better SQ
Low noise also important as run some low mc cartridges .23 mV
Balanced output would be great but not essential
I am exploring mm carts but not wedded to their sound yet
Thx
A

I mainly listen to classical and timbral accuracy is important :)
My phono stage (Ypsilon VPS-100), though MM, can play low output cartridges like Phasemation PP-2000 or Koetsu if paired with their (or other equally decent) SUTs. It sounds great, has balanced as well as RCA interfaces, but does not have adjustable loading. It is quite expensive too.

If you are happy with good quality MM I would recommend the Nagaoka MP-50 if you can find one (shortly after demand shot up they changed it to the much more expensive MP-500, which is supposed to sound better but I have not heard one so can not comment further on them).

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
My phono stage (Ypsilon VPS-100), though MM, can play low output cartridges like Phasemation PP-2000 or Koetsu if paired with their (or other equally decent) SUTs. It sounds great, has balanced as well as RCA interfaces, but does not have adjustable loading. It is quite expensive too.

If you are happy with good quality MM I would recommend the Nagaoka MP-50 if you can find one (shortly after demand shot up they changed it to the much more expensive MP-500, which is supposed to sound better but I have not heard one so can not comment further on them).
I have acquired a Soulution phono which I find is marvellous which I use with several different SUT

Reactions: bonzo75

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I have acquired a Soulution phono which I find is marvellous which I use with several different SUT
The 755? Costs a bit, eh?

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
If cost is not a concern, I believe the Aries Cerat Legend Series Phono Stage owned by Vess in Bulgaria would be among the world's finest. I had the privilege of experiencing this system in Cyprus, and it has been the most musically engaging phono stage I've encountered so far. While it exceeds my budget, I believe it would rival any phono stage produced by any company in terms of performance and value.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was a massive 4-box phono stage weighing around 300 kilograms. Its size and weight were truly monstrous. However, the sound it produced was the most exquisite I have ever encountered. The notes would effortlessly emanate from the soundstage, creating a lifelike experience as if the instruments were being played right in front of you. The energy, speed, realism, and smoothness of the sound were unparalleled

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022

Surprisingly, I find the MP-300 to sound more natural. But I have yet to hear the MP-500 in a totally familiar system.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Surprisingly, I find the MP-300 to sound more natural. But I have yet to hear the MP-500 in a totally familiar system.
Please clarify, you found the MP-300 to sound more natural than the MP-50 (that I recommended) or the MP-500?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
The MP-500.
In any case, Nagaoka‘s sound really good for MM. Whether that be the very musical MP-300, MP-500 or that discontinued gem, the MP-50, those watching their hi fi budget can get very close to the sound of the very best MC cartridges for a fraction of the cost (not to mention the additional expense of peripherals like SUT’s or pre’s with MC capabilities).

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
Hi Guys, I am new to vinyl and I am setting my first turntable. I got the opportunity to get a used Tech Das Air Force III that I am going to listen soon, my second option is Kronos Pro. But my real hassle is the phono stage. I probably will get the Vandelhult Grail SE+ but evaluating options. I could spend more on phone but I don’t want to till I learn a little more. What do you think are the best phonos in the market. Soulution 750 and 55? Aries Cerat? VAC? Golmund? Boulder? JMF?
my system consist basically of Gryphon Essence amp + Gryphon Pandora Pre amp and Wilson Audio Sasha DAW
As a note I love dynamics but I hate brightness right now my system is very well balanced for digital

Reactions: MadFloyd

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi Guys, I am new to vinyl and I am setting my first turntable. I got the opportunity to get a used Tech Das Air Force III that I am going to listen soon, my second option is Kronos Pro. But my real hassle is the phono stage. I probably will get the Vandelhult Grail SE+ but evaluating options. I could spend more on phone but I don’t want to till I learn a little more. What do you think are the best phonos in the market. Soulution 750 and 55? Aries Cerat? VAC? Golmund? Boulder? JMF?
my system consist basically of Gryphon Essence amp + Gryphon Pandora Pre amp and Wilson Audio Sasha DAW
As a note I love dynamics but I hate brightness right now my system is very well balanced for digital
its really depend on which cartridge(s) you will end up with, and the type of music that you will like to listen through your vinyl.
so you can do what is best for this "specific" CR.
but,
if you want SOTA phono stage that will be fit almost any high end CR on the planet and have a very balanced character and sound -
is the CH Precision P1. it have 3 inputs, a lot of gain to push everything and almost any configuration you will need and want in one point or another.

is there any more musical ones? of course. i know one its considerably more from your list even.
is there any less expensive ones that still very good? of course...
i bet some of us will tell you they have a "better one"... no doubt. i agree they have for them.
but no one can take what the P1 is offering to the world from his debut. in my book it is almost the ultimate phono stage there is.
and if i will need to choose one to be my everlasting phono stage, it will be the P1.

GL

a

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The best one I have heard is the Aries Cerat Talos…phenomenal sound.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

That's rather (!) ambitious for someone who's "new to vinyl" :)

The electronics and brands that you're mentioning are fundamentally different in philosophy, topology and characteristics.

Which options do you have access to for evaluation and actual listening? That's a good start.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
The best one I have heard is the Aries Cerat Talos…phenomenal sound.
i have yet compare the P1 with the Talos, but soon it will be operable to do.
i have TALOS SIG' on order with two SUT units inside.

but if someone will ask me which Phono is the best i have heard
it will be The "four chassis Aries Cerat flagship Zephyrus phono preamplifier".
i couldn't believe my ears!

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
its really depend on which cartridge(s) you will end up with, and the type of music that you will like to listen through your vinyl.
so you can do what is best for this "specific" CR.
but,
if you want SOTA phono stage that will be fit almost any high end CR on the planet and have a very balanced character and sound -
is the CH Precision P1. it have 3 inputs, a lot of gain to push everything and almost any configuration you will need and want in one point or another.

is there any more musical ones? of course. i know one its considerably more from your list even.
is there any less expensive ones that still very good? of course...
i bet some of us will tell you they have a "better one"... no doubt. i agree they have for them.
but no one can take what the P1 is offering to the world from his debut. in my book it is almost the ultimate phono stage there is.
and if i will need to choose one to be my everlasting phono stage, it will be the P1.

GL

a
Thanks! I like to hear Jazz, Modern Jazz, Electronic Jazz, pop but not Taylor Swift, modern music, guitar. Unfortunately not into classic music

Sunny

You should also know that the P1 can be improved dramatically by adding an external power supply called the X1. However, CH Precision's best Phono stage is the P10. The P10 is a 2-box Phono that outperforms a 4-box P1 Monaural phono stage. You can also upgrade a P10 to a 4-box P10 with 8-tonearm inputs. The sky is the limit.

Reactions: Dave777tx

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
That's rather (!) ambitious for someone who's new to vinyl" :)

The electronics and brands that you're mentioning are fundamentally different in philosophy, topology and characteristics.

Which options do you have access to for evaluation and actual listening? That's a good start.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
I know right, but I have a good experience in digital and I think I have a reasonable good system.
As I mentioned on TT I have two options Tech Das and Kronos and I am going to listen both.
Someone ask about the cartridge, I have a good opportunity on the My Sonic Lab Gold, I’d like to hear the Etsuro Gold but I don’t have a chance for the moment
Phono Stage, I will be listening the Vanderhul which is my option number one, the grail GE+
I have access to the Soulution, JMF, maybe Boulder but with total different set ups.
I like dynamics and speed but not to the point of being analytic. Magic and musicality it’s the most importan. I know there is not perfect world but that’s why I am trying to ask others people’s experience from their own experience

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
i have yet compare the P1 with the Talos, but soon it will be operable to do.
i have TALOS SIG' on order with two SUT units inside.

but if someone will ask me which Phono is the best i have heard
it will be The "four chassis Aries Cerat flagship Zephyrus phono preamplifier".
i couldn't believe my ears!
Aries Cerat it’s out of my budget but I belive if you tell my it’s the best. CH was on on my list but I will check it out

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
You should also know that the P1 can be improved dramatically by adding an external power supply called the X1. However, CH Precision's best Phono stage is the P10. The P10 is a 2-box Phono that outperforms a 4-box P1 Monaural phono stage. You can also upgrade a P10 to a 4-box P10 with 8-tonearm inputs. The sky is the limit.
Damn I will start checking CH it seems a lot of people like them

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing