Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
I may get around to trying string drive on my Micro Seiki.
Running string on mine but not sure what it is made of (seems a tad bit stretchy) so ordered up some aramid fiber comparable to the MS K-5. I noted in reading the SX-5000 manual (I have yet to find a manual for the SX-8000) that Micro Seiki recommends the aramid fiber string drive over the belts.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Running string on mine but not sure what it is made of (seems a tad bit stretchy) so ordered up some aramid fiber comparable to the MS K-5. I noted in reading the SX-5000 manual (I have yet to find a manual for the SX-8000) that Micro Seiki recommends the aramid fiber string drive over the belts.

I have what looks like the original thread that came with my turntable that has never been used. Could be a fun experiment over the winter.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have what looks like the original thread that came with my turntable that has never been used. Could be a fun experiment over the winter.
Having had a discussion with Nishikawa on string / belt during a Munich High End fair, it became obvious, the all and everything is a compromise... He prepared a small sketch about force vectors effecting the belt/string. Rubber is like a spring with a certain D, which he did not like on his turntables. From there we discussed Kevlar / Aramid belts-strings. A string can handle force only in one dimension, which is good in some criteria. But a wide belt can handle forces also n 90 degree angle of the motor force.

He was explaining, that the best ratio between width and length of an aramid belt is a function of the platter weight and the distance of the motor from the platter (wrap angle). I have tried some different belts and strings on RX-5000, SX-8000 and AF3P, after all the Micro Seiki SF-1 and SF-1L (similar to AF-3P belt) are the best compromise. I prefer the shorter SF-1 a little over SF-1L. But I am using SF-1L, as with 4 tonearms the handling is more easy, if the motor stays away some more cm.

If you start comparisons, please be careful with the belt tension adjustment,
which can be a bigger sonic difference than two different belts as such.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Shanti, Thank you very much for all of that information. I will take it slow. I have a way of measuring the distance between the motor unit and the main chassis so if I don’t change the position of the pulley within the motor unit I can always return to prior settings with the belt.

I have found that minute changes in the distance between the two units of my turntable is a more effective way to adjust belt tension then to loosen the three set screws for the pulley location.

right now I am thrilled with the sound of the belt so this is just one of those things I’m thinking about but there is no urgency. There is really very little to experiment with regarding my new system. I’m basically comparing cartridges and enjoying music.

Reactions: Solypsa

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Having had a discussion with Nishikawa on string / belt during a Munich High End fair, it became obvious, the all and everything is a compromise... He prepared a small sketch about force vectors effecting the belt/string. Rubber is like a spring with a certain D, which he did not like on his turntables. From there we discussed Kevlar / Aramid belts-strings. A string can handle force only in one dimension, which is good in some criteria. But a wide belt can handle forces also n 90 degree angle of the motor force.

He was explaining, that the best ratio between width and length of an aramid belt is a function of the platter weight and the distance of the motor from the platter (wrap angle). I have tried some different belts and strings on RX-5000, SX-8000 and AF3P, after all the Micro Seiki SF-1 and SF-1L (similar to AF-3P belt) are the best compromise. I prefer the shorter SF-1 a little over SF-1L. But I am using SF-1L, as with 4 tonearms the handling is more easy, if the motor stays away some more cm.

If you start comparisons, please be careful with the belt tension adjustment,
which can be a bigger sonic difference than two different belts as such.

My SX-8000 came with what appears to be a well worn SF-1L and when I tried using it found that storage had imparted some deformities...basically it had formed shallow S shapes along the x axis and figured they probably added some instability to speed continuity. That and the fact that the long belt added a. lot of distance between the motor and TT, I chose to go back to the string.

What is a good source for the SF-1? I see a number listed as coming out of Japan but have no experience as to who the reputable suppliers might be.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I
My SX-8000 came with what appears to be a well worn SF-1L and when I tried using it found that storage had imparted some deformities...basically it had formed shallow S shapes along the x axis and figured they probably added some instability to speed continuity. That and the fact that the long belt added a. lot of distance between the motor and TT, I chose to go back to the string.

What is a good source for the SF-1? I see a number listed as coming out of Japan but have no experience as to who the reputable suppliers might be.
bought my last SF-1L in Japan as replica from the original. Looks very similar to the current AF3P belt.
for me, it was easy to buy using ebay as market place.
but I am sure, you will find in Japan cheaper sources as well.

The retailer offers SF-1 as well.

vernonwtx

Oct 12, 2017
Houston, TX
www.lovetabernacle.net

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just came across this fascinating image. I've never seen this base under the SX 8000 before. It looks massive. Interestingly, because my table did not include the optional air base, I designed two massive custom stainless steel plates to put under my SX 8000 II. I had two made to better isolate (separate) the influence of the motor on the base/platter, though I can still not lift the larger one by myself. I have seen quite a few different set ups of these Micro Seiki turntables on the net.

cdfbe429e11fcabd4e77e2c5d0aad8eb.jpg

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I just came across this fascinating image. I've never seen this base under the SX 8000 before. It looks massive. Interestingly, because my table did not include the optional air base, I designed two massive custom stainless steel plates to put under my SX 8000 II. I had two made to better isolate (separate) the influence of the motor on the base/platter, thought I can still not lift the larger one by myself. I have seen quite variations of these Micro Seiki turntables on the net.

View attachment 88180
Sorry Peter, i have a hard time concentrating on the Micro, there is something large and golden looming in the background. It must be King Midas's turntable ! :eek:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
My god, that turntable in the background is hideously ugly :eek:. Does it belong to Trump?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My god, that turntable in the background is hideously ugly :eek:. Does it belong to Trump?
It was designed as a collaboration between Trump, Liberace and John Gotti ! ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Triangle turntable with stand made out of beer cans

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I just came across this fascinating image. I've never seen this base under the SX 8000 before. It looks massive. Interestingly, because my table did not include the optional air base, I designed two massive custom stainless steel plates to put under my SX 8000 II. I had two made to better isolate (separate) the influence of the motor on the base/platter, though I can still not lift the larger one by myself. I have seen quite a few different set ups of these Micro Seiki turntables on the net.

View attachment 88180
Just love that elegantly understated composition of the Micro SX especially dressed in that heavenly serene blue Peter… tempt me not oh analogue Satan… wow that’s just perfect. The MS for me also more refined in a fantastic functional and balanced Bauhaus kind of way than the more Versace-like Turntable of Babel towering nearby :eek:

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

View attachment 88180
Looks like a blue BA 50 Audio base under the sx 8000

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing