Bitcoin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am aware, of course, of this company. But I am skeptical about significant or enduring worldwide impact. China's dictator can direct the liabilities and fallout to impact whom he chooses.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bitcoin "number go down" less fun than "number go up" :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There is a guy in NL in a regular neighbourhood who mines bitcoin and had the electricity supplier lay 2 extra cables to his house , for which he had to pay himself .
600 amperes in total .
It definetively aint the green coin
Sufficient electricity for 120 fridges

Before these extra cables were laid the whole neighbourhood was suffering from lighting problems

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There is a guy in NL in a regular neighbourhood who mines bitcoin and had the electricity supplier lay 2 extra cables to his house , for which he had to pay himself .
600 amperes in total .
It definetively aint the green coin
Sufficient electricity for 120 fridges

Before these extra cables were laid the whole neighbourhood was suffering from lighting problems

Read back earlier in the thread for the proof.

The traditional banking sector uses MASSIVELY MORE resources. Many multitudes more. Think about all the petrol and CO2 to even keep the cash point machines topped up, the use of the banking sector's computers, heating the offices, the commutes to work for employees, cooking costs for onsite canteens, energy and resources used to construct the offices etc etc.

There is NO comparison.

That said a big mining rig will use quite a bit, but the best way to make money is where electricity costs are low. It encourages the use of renewable energy simply because that's where the best profits will come from.

Reactions: Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Oil cooling has been making them last longer.

The power consumption is still low compared to the rest of the world. But we may see changes towards ones that use even less.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m certainly not against the bitcoin idea , but governments will never give up willingly the control over the money in my view , they are basically powerless in that case .
I see a digital currency coming in which they can/will control every purchase you make .
If it goes against their interest they can then cut you off / give a person penalties etc iow total control .
If you look at the ideas of klaus schwab founder of the World economic forum the direction is clear afaic.
The $$$ dominated banking system is coming to an end in my view , be it this year or in a couple of years .
The problem is they cant raise rates , but they have to because of inflation
I just dont see BC being the logical replacement they will allow it to be ,

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Read back earlier in the thread for the proof.

The traditional banking sector uses MASSIVELY MORE resources. Many multitudes more. Think about all the petrol and CO2 to even keep the cash point machines topped up, the use of the banking sector's computers, heating the offices, the commutes to work for employees, cooking costs for onsite canteens, energy and resources used to construct the offices etc etc.

There is NO comparison.

That said a big mining rig will use quite a bit, but the best way to make money is where electricity costs are low. It encourages the use of renewable energy simply because that's where the best profits will come from.

You're right, it uses more energy because it provides more VALUE, you know, things people actually need and use. Day to day banking, loans, payments, customer services, settling disputes, etc.

The comparison with maintaining a blockchain ledger that has ridiculously high transcation rates and slow times to process, something NOBODY uses on a day to day basis is simply ridiculous and shows the massive bias achieved by some of those who choose to invest in BTC.

The excuses for the amount of power BTC uses are ridiculous and the excuses don't hold water. The "encouraging the use of renewables" is possibly the most ridiculous excuse for massive, tragic waste I've ever heard.

No matter what you think BTC is going to be in your imagination of the future, currently it's a blight on humanity and has done far more harm than good, this can't be denied without a wholesale denial of reality it's self.

Reactions: Lagonda and Al M.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Governments of old people. The young ones want their bags to moon.

Young people have little wisdom and want all sorts of unrealistic things.

That said, I don't think our current system is perfect and am open to crypto, I just don't like to impersonate scared ostrich.

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
You're right, it uses more energy because it provides more VALUE, you know, things people actually need and use. Day to day banking, loans, payments, customer services, settling disputes, etc.

The comparison with maintaining a blockchain ledger that has ridiculously high transcation rates and slow times to process, something NOBODY uses on a day to day basis is simply ridiculous and shows the massive bias achieved by some of those who choose to invest in BTC.

The excuses for the amount of power BTC uses are ridiculous and the excuses don't hold water. The "encouraging the use of renewables" is possibly the most ridiculous excuse for massive, tragic waste I've ever heard.

No matter what you think BTC is going to be in your imagination of the future, currently it's a blight on humanity and has done far more harm than good, this can't be denied without a wholesale denial of reality it's self.
Bollocks.

Wake up.

Reactions: Folsom and jeff1225

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Bollocks.

Wake up.

This is a stereotypical reaction from those invested to those who are not, however you forgot to tell me I just don't understand crypto, I don't "get it".

If you think crypto isn't manipulated for the benefit of the rich just like fiat is, and is really some sort of fair decentralized currency for the people, then YOU need to wake up.

Reactions: Lagonda

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
This is a stereotypical reaction from those invested to those who are not, however you forgot to tell me I just don't understand crypto, I don't "get it".

If you think crypto isn't manipulated for the benefit of the rich just like fiat is, and is really some sort of fair decentralized currency for the people, then YOU need to wake up.
Nice reply.

Respect.

I am otherwise engaged but it obvious you aren't asleep.

I am doing the whole Meatloaf is dead thing.

Reactions: DaveC

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
All this bickering as BTC has been cut in half and hasn’t hedged any inflation or market risk. Next stop $30k, if that breaks $14k in the cards.

Seeing how all spec growth names have been pummeled 60-80% and roundtriped the COVID moves I wouldn’t be surprised. Will the institutions get back in or not want to catch a falling knife, that is the question.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Indeed, people are totally naive in their idealism about this stuff.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lol , the fed isnt even tapering / hiking rates yet .
See what just talking about it already does to the markets.
How far the stock market level has to drop before they will reverse course is the question ??

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Lol , the fed isnt even tapering / hiking rates yet .
See what just talking about it already does to the markets.
How far the stock market level has to drop before they will reverse course is the question ??

Yeah, Bitcoin and the other cryptocurrencies are no value currencies. Rather, they behave like risk-on tech stocks.

Pathetic. Don't you want to have a currency that actually has some value?

But hey, today Bitcoin is up. There's some value to that ;). LOL.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Wowser.

Bitcoin is just a piece of clever code. It has no concept of evil or good, of being a Ponzi scheme or of being manipulated. It is backed by nothing apart from a supply cap. That's all it needs.

Fiat has no supply cap and throughout history all fiat currencies have failed with 100% reliability. Fiat is and always has been a Ponzi scheme controlled by those in power.

I could post some links on this fact but there's plenty on YouTube.

Just look at 11 years of stats. What has held up better, fiat or Bitcoin?

The above is just fact. Humans have trouble with facts when it comes to money.

I do not deny that a lot of alt coins are suspicious., however.

EDIT: I am not saying those in power are evil. They just have their finger on the money printing button and that alone is what causes the demise of fiat. Eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing