Boulder 3060 smooth and a maybe even a bit warm?

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
First I want to thank you all for your help and feedback! It has been very, very helpful. Also, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Now, what I did: I cancelled an order for the Dart NHB-468 and ordered the Boulder 3060.

Why? While I am quite sure that the Dart is fantastic kit I became gun shy at the 11th hour based on a couple things. First, I decided to avoid buying something that was going to require overseas back/forth for repairs. (The current supply chain slowdowns and their effect on several other household items on order has changed my pov) Second, I did not want to move ahead with a component that induced me to maintain a battery - talking about the pre-amp here. And, finally, I got nervous about it being 'fussy' with respect to handling. (I cannot enumerate the times that my cleaning lady has knocked the speaker cables off of my current d'Agostino amp)

So, what next?

My plan is to audition 3 pre-amps with the 3060. I want to hear the VTL 7.5, the VAC Master and the Boulder 2110. My inclination towards tubes is based on the sense that I will want to 'warm' the sound up a bit.

I am planning to audition the Transparent Opus power cord. I will also, most likely, upgrade the other cables in the chain from XL to Opus.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
I hit 'send' too quickly.

There was one other very important piece to my decision. I kept coming back to the desire to stick with the brands sold by my current system dealer and mentor. He has been great with support and guidance.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think you will be very happy with the Boulder 3060. Consider auditioning other sources if you want more warmth. I have all SS pre and amp. I have lots of tubes in my phonostage and my digital is SS but I can change the way it sounds based on filters or interconnects.

Reactions: pk_LA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First of all, a HUGE congratulations...and in the case of your Boulder 3060...literally huge! I was 'this close' to going for it...and just as you have done with Boulder, I elected to go with Robert Koda for 2 reasons:

1. I too have a great relationship with my dealer 15 years and running...and he worked with me on this for a while, ultimately resulting in our being the first people here to buy Robert Koda just as a new distributorship deal was getting inked with someone we both knew and respect incredibly highly. That was the clincher for me.

2. For what its worth in the case of Robert Koda, since I had discovered their preamp which was the first preamp of ANY design (SS or Tube) that categorically pulled me away from the CJ family (21 years of consecutive ownership thru CJ GAT 2)...I decided to go towards Robert Koda all the way to see what the experience was like of hearing the full vision of a masterfully talented and utterly committed designer. Having heard what a designer who is 'ambidextrous' in amp design and preamp design can do (not all designers are equally talented imho)...it has been incredibly gratifying to really experience it up close and personal.

That said, I am confident the Robert Koda K15EX/Boulder 3060 would have been a truly formidable combination...no doubt.

In your case, had I gone 3060, I also would have seriously considered Boulder pre alongside Robert Koda (and had I not discovered Robert Koda, would have been delighted to try CJ GAT 2). Do please continue to post...this is seriously exciting as very few people (none besides Chuck?) own this legendary piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and pk_LA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
First I want to thank you all for your help and feedback! It has been very, very helpful. Also, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Now, what I did: I cancelled an order for the Dart NHB-468 and ordered the Boulder 3060.

Why? While I am quite sure that the Dart is fantastic kit I became gun shy at the 11th hour based on a couple things. First, I decided to avoid buying something that was going to require overseas back/forth for repairs. (The current supply chain slowdowns and their effect on several other household items on order has changed my pov) Second, I did not want to move ahead with a component that induced me to maintain a battery - talking about the pre-amp here. And, finally, I got nervous about it being 'fussy' with respect to handling. (I cannot enumerate the times that my cleaning lady has knocked the speaker cables off of my current d'Agostino amp)

So, what next?

My plan is to audition 3 pre-amps with the 3060. I want to hear the VTL 7.5, the VAC Master and the Boulder 2110. My inclination towards tubes is based on the sense that I will want to 'warm' the sound up a bit.

I am planning to audition the Transparent Opus power cord. I will also, most likely, upgrade the other cables in the chain from XL to Opus.
Or you could have switched to a way more cautiously careful cleaner.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
On the topic of sources and pre-amps.

I am somewhat curious about the MSB dac. I have the Rossini dac + clock now but I have read that the MSB is more 'musical'

I am very open and interested in hearing the Koda stuff but I suspect it's a challenging situation to get one for auditioning. I checked their website and they do not even list a US distributor.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
My 3060 is most likely going to arrive just before Christmas. It is being sent along with a 3010 for audition. I plan to listen to the 3010 vs the Nagra HD Preamp vs the VTL TL7.5. I will certainly post on my impressions.

Also, I am hoping to entice Ron into coming by assist with the evaluation since he lives down the road!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My 3060 is most likely going to arrive just before Christmas. It is being sent along with a 3010 for audition. I plan to listen to the 3010 vs the Nagra HD Preamp vs the VTL TL7.5. I will certainly post on my impressions.

Also, I am hoping to entice Ron into coming by assist with the evaluation since he lives down the road!
Congrats.that’s a excellent Christmas present.

Reactions: Pokey77

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

Wow that is some incredible gear. I'm sure the evaluation is going to be fun.

Reactions: Pokey77 and ctydwn

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You will have a great session evaluating those preamps. The 3010 has the blend function that is very interesting.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

I am somewhat curious about the MSB dac. I have the Rossini dac + clock now but I have read that the MSB is more 'musical'

I am very open and interested in hearing the Koda stuff but I suspect it's a challenging situation to get one for auditioning. I checked their website and they do not even list a US distributor.

the dCS verses MSB has been hashed out here to a high degree. both are likely 'musical' objectively; but on direct compare i might guess that the MSB might win. depends of which MSB dac. i do consider my MSB to resemble my vinyl in many ways. it's the best digital in that way i have heard. would a Vivaldi stack come closer to the MSB? maybe? but by how much? don't know. you can read about dCS owners that switched to MSB; but none going the other way i've seen. but the recent MSB is more current than this dCS generation (from what i recall), so that might be part of it.....just the newer thing.

one option to consider if MSB is on your radar is that the MSB has an outstanding passive preamp (i can personally say it gets close to my dart pre), and going direct to your Boulder's might be stunning (but also be could too honest). it does have enough drive to work direct even with a longish interconnect. i know Kingrule goes direct from his MSB Select to his MSB amps and then to his Magico's. and the cable savings, let alone the preamp savings, could be significant (and pay for the upgrade in dacs).

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

If you wish, I am happy to put you in you in touch with Robert Koch the founder of Robert Koda. I am also aware of an owner in US who owns the Robert Koda K160s as well. He was an owner of Gryphon Mephisto Solos and has moved over to Robert Koda K160s...actually 1 of 3 of us who were all owners of Mephistos before going to the K160s.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
If you wish, I am happy to put you in you in touch with Robert Koch the founder of Robert Koda. I am also aware of an owner in US who owns the Robert Koda K160s as well. He was an owner of Gryphon Mephisto Solos and has moved over to Robert Koda K160s...actually 1 of 3 of us who were all owners of Mephistos before going to the K160s.
I would appreciate the invite. Thx

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No problem...I have PM'd you so that I can ask for your email. I can then email him and cc you so you can then communicate with him directly.

canigo

Mar 23, 2013
I have the 3010 / 3060 combo. Recently upgraded from Dart pre and 458 monos. The Boulder combo is substantially better with my Wilson Alexx V and my big Tannoys,
you won’t be disappointed.
currently using an Audio Research ref 3se phono, but just ordered the Boulder 2108 to try there too.
‘people rarely discuss the Dart battery issues, not sure why, but i had many issues.
‘Also, the Dart combo frequently just ran out of ‘steam’ - I have not had this issue with Boulder.
in the past I had a 2060 amp, I’d say this new 3000 series is MUCH more neutral than any other system I’ve ever had or heard, impressed every night.
enjoy it man, I think you will indeed.
amother REALLY nice touch with the 3010 pre, is multiple outputs. I also have the Wilson Thor subs, and having the ability to play with their independent volumes and mute from the remote is very handy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have the 3010 / 3060 combo. Recently upgraded from Dart pre and 458 monos. The Boulder combo is substantially better with my Wilson Alexx V and my big Tannoys,
currently using an Audio Research ref 3se phono, but just ordered the Boulder 2108 to try there too.
‘people rarely discuss the Dart battery issues, not sure why, but i had many issues.
‘Also, the Dart combo frequently just ran out of ‘steam’ - I have not had this issue with Boulder.
in the past I had a 2060 amp, I’d say this new 3000 series is MUCH more neutral than any other system I’ve ever had or heard, impressed every night.
amother REALLY nice touch with the 3010 pre, is multiple outputs. I also have the Wilson Thor subs, and having the ability to play with their independent volumes and mute from the remote is very handy.

Hi which big tannoys do you have?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
curious why you never upgraded your 1st generation darTZeel preamp (that did have some battery issues) to the 2nd generation in 2015-2016? it was a no brainer deal, and you mentioned you just recently upgraded to the Boulder.

the second gen dart pre batteries have been completely bulletproof.....for 5 years now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Phenomenal! What a fantastic set of electronics...would love to read more about it if you have the time and can compare with your prior references and/or any others you considered before going to Boulder.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing