Breaking news from DCS….

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
If you are interested in the measurements, you can see the $100-$200 DACs are better than $15k-$20k DACs on the ASR.

Huh??

I'm specifically interested in seeing the WADAX's measurements as apparently true excellence has no short cuts, and they touched almost theoretical measurements - all according to the designer. So, let's see it please.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020

Huh??

I'm specifically interested in seeing the WADAX's measurements as apparently true excellence has no short cuts, and they touched almost theoretical measurements - all according to the designer. So, let's see it please.
I am not interested in measurements. As far as I know, there is no one to measure Wadax Ref Dac or Server. If you really need to know, you can ask Javier.

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
I am not interested in measurements. As far as I know, there is no one to measure Wadax Ref Dac or Server. If you really need to know, you can ask Javier.

Huh?? I didn't ask you whether you're interested in measurements. In fact, I couldn't care less what you're interested in.

Maybe I will ask Javier. That said, if WADAX is not willing to stand by any measured performance through Stereophile or other reputed 3rd parties, at it's price-point, and especially after waxing lyrical on their website... Well, one can only speculate why :)

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Huh?? I didn't ask you whether you're interested in measurements. In fact, I couldn't care less what you're interested in.

Maybe I will ask Javier. That said, if WADAX is not willing to stand by any measured performance through Stereophile or other reputed 3rd parties, at it's price-point, and especially after waxing lyrical on their website... Well, one can only speculate why :)
Ahh, I see you are finding all of reason to take Wadax down. Are you sure that Stereophile or the 3rd parties measured Wadax Ref? Look, you have got nothing on Wadax to tell them don't stand by any measured performance. So stop hating, just because you cannot own Wadax. It's so funny.

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Ahh, I see you are finding all of reason to take Wadax down. Are you sure that Stereophile or the 3rd parties measured Wadax Ref? Look, you have got nothing on Wadax to tell them don't stand by any measured performance. So stop hating, just because you cannot own Wadax. It's so funny.

Huh??? I cannot own a WADAX?? And you know this how?? That's a rhetorical question by the way, no one cares about your childish pissing contest here.

It's quite simple really; dCS have proven themselves over the course of nearly 30 years, in both subjective and objective performance, everything above board. WADAX is the Johnny-Come-Lately. so, either put up, or STFU :)

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Maybe I will ask Javier. That said, if WADAX is not willing to stand by any measured performance through Stereophile or other reputed 3rd parties, at it's price-point, and especially after waxing lyrical on their website..

Huh??? I cannot own a WADAX?? And you know this how??
Sure you can own Wadax, problem is if John Atkinson can access to right measurement instrument to understand a Wadax…
I suspect is cheaper buying it than measuring it…:cool:

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fact - we have complete published measurements of the dCS Vivaldi.
Fact- we do not have any published measurements of the Wadax Reference.

Other than that we only have rumors. As far as I see from the instruments used by Stereophile they will not be able to measure the increase in linearity of the APEX version - it is behind the limits of the Audio Precision. dCS claim they used proprietary methods to measure this 12 dB decrease in distortion at ultra low levels during the APEX development and are not wanting to disclose them for now. Anyway, being a not standard measurement is would not be of any relevance.

My very personnel opinion - measurements do not mean it all, but between equally good sounding gear I prefer the one that measures better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not interested in measurements. (...)

Great suggestion for a WBF poll!

I am interested in measurements. [ ]
I am not interested in measurements [ ]

Does anyone know how to organize it?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Peter,

A subjective answer - IMHO SOTA needs some general consensus - but not unanimity surely. IMHO in order to get SOTA status some equipment needs to have a significant number of individual opinions that it reaches such status and some time to anchor it.
Thanks for finally admitting to the bandwagon effects in this hobby! Hallelujah!!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for finally admitting to the bandwagon effects in this hobby! Hallelujah!!!

I will say Hallelujah!!! when you resist distorting other people posts or intents with insinuating comments.

All of us admit some bandwagon effects in this hobby - it is part of it. What separates us is the significance of them. But I am always interested in a fair discussion on its origin.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia

Huh?? What particular measurements are you interested in and why? And how do those measurements relate to your listening preferences?

Curious minds want to know.

Full disclosure: I cannot afford Wadax or Vivaldi. Probably never will. I am just curious. My current DAC, the Esoteric N-01Xd is far as I can go money wise. At least until breaks down and cannot be fixed

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
isn't there a rule in stereophile is that if a particular product has less than 6 dealer distribution in the usa, then stereophile won't take the product for review (and subsequently measures it)?

if wadax maintain sales distribution exclusivity to less than 5 dealers or totally keep to direct sales, then no leakage of measurements will be possible....

Last edited:

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Huh??? I cannot own a WADAX?? And you know this how?? That's a rhetorical question by the way, no one cares about your childish pissing contest here.

It's quite simple really; dCS have proven themselves over the course of nearly 30 years, in both subjective and objective performance, everything above board. WADAX is the Johnny-Come-Lately. so, either put up, or STFU :)
You are like a nagging child. However, Wadax's worth to envy. :cool:

Reactions: nirodha

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Fact - we have complete published measurements of the dCS Vivaldi.
Fact- we do not have any published measurements of the Wadax Reference.

Other than that we only have rumors. As far as I see from the instruments used by Stereophile they will not be able to measure the increase in linearity of the APEX version - it is behind the limits of the Audio Precision. dCS claim they used proprietary methods to measure this 12 dB decrease in distortion at ultra low levels during the APEX development and are not wanting to disclose them for now. Anyway, being a not standard measurement is would not be of any relevance.

My very personnel opinion - measurements do not mean it all, but between equally good sounding gear I prefer the one that measures better.

Hi guys,

Speaking of linearity, the main reason that Ed Meitner prefers single-bit to multibit DACs is that the former are inherently linear or perfectly linear. In multibit converters, no matter how close the manufacturing tolerances of those resistors, it’s impossible to get the multiple resistors in exact ratios to each other -- the resulting signal level will always be just a bit off.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

What a load of …. I owned dCS in the past and looking back, it was certainly nót one of my best buys. Technical sound, no heart. so don’t give this “subject I’ve above the board” because in this case I am the subject. But, as I am not all-knowing, maybe their house sound has improved in recent years.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi guys,

Speaking of linearity, the main reason that Ed Meitner prefers single-bit to multibit DACs is that the former are inherently linear or perfectly linear. In multibit converters, no matter how close the manufacturing tolerances of those resistors, it’s impossible to get the multiple resistors in exact ratios to each other -- the resulting signal level will always be just a bit off.

Which is a big plus for dCS since the Ring DAC specifically addresses that issue.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What a load of …. I owned dCS in the past and looking back, it was certainly nót one of my best buys. Technical sound, no heart. so don’t give this “subject I’ve above the board” because in this case I am the subject. But, as I am not all-knowing, maybe their house sound has improved in recent years.
Total agree with your assessment of dCS sonics. My Vivaldi stack was also not one of my best audio buys.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have nothing to say about dCS but I don't understand why Wadax got thrown under the bus here about measurements that don't exist. I can't speak for Wadax but in my own opinion they have gotten great press and great reviews in Asia, Europe and here in the U.S.
Ask yourself what could possibly be gained by looking for more reviews? Measurements? pardon my ignorance but what would that tell me ? I bought one as have other people, and have reported on their purchases.
It seems that perhaps there are forces at work here that have something to fear or have an agenda. Perhaps the new unofficial brand ambassador can speak on this topic. I personally had no interest in posting here but I will defend against all that want to start rumors and spread innuendo's that are just false and down right ugly. If this actually comes from a competitor that is really unprofessional IMO.
I suggest you use your ears and listen , choose what you like and can afford. I will never be convinced that measurements are the whole story.

Reactions: nirodha

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
isn't there a rule in stereophile is that if a particular product has less than 6 dealer distribution in the usa, then stereophile won't take the product for review (and subsequently measures it)?
they break that rule regularly. but i respect why they have the rule.
if wadax maintain sales distribution exclusivity to less than 5 dealers or totally keep to direct sales, then no leakage of measurements will be possible....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have nothing to say about dCS but I don't understand why Wadax got thrown under the bus here about measurements that don't exist. I can't speak for Wadax but in my own opinion they have gotten great press and great reviews in Asia, Europe and here in the U.S.
Ask yourself what could possibly be gained by looking for more reviews? Measurements? pardon my ignorance but what would that tell me ? I bought one as have other people, and have reported on their purchases. (...)

Elliot,

This thread is on dCS products, the Vivaldi is highly considered by many people, it is natural that Wadax comes on the thread.

IMHO a lot could be gained from the measurements - particularly as some people as me consider they are relevant, both when taking a purchase decision or just as part of the hobby.

You have other excellent products, where the manufacturer is proud of their top measurements and uses them as a marketing argument. Wadax always claimed that they have top measurements and consider it a very important aspect of their design.

Remember that in general audiophiles love reading reviews. On forums some will say they hate them and horrible things about the whole process, but if they find a reviewer agrees with them or says nice things about some thing they own or love they will consider it a valuable exception ... Reviews are part of the hobby.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing