Build your own reel to reel- custom

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
As with the other post, if you were to build your own custom reel to reel deck, what custom parts would you use? I'll stay out of this thread, as I've never played with modded anything. Post away, and if you have pictures of what you're talking about, please post them as well. This could be a very educational thread for me at least.

I am not bold enough to build one from scratch,but I enjoy restoring my Ampex machines. I have a RE friend that if he had the funds would build one,he says he could make immense improvements,but nobody is interested. A shame in my estimation. Where's Neil Young???

I think that is a big time undertaking. The mechanism is much more complicated than a turntable. If you were to do it, I would start with a working mechanism and then add to it heads and amplification of your choice. I would not go further up stream and start building the motor drive from scratch.

I agree, this is a 'virtual' thread though! I don't think anyone has the time or resources to build a deck from scratch, so the question is, IF you had the time or resources, what parts or circuits would you use? What machine would you start with, how would you mod it?

For example, I'd probably start with a Technics 1500 series transport for a 'modern' looking deck. I'd get rid of the soft Technics heads though, and put in Akai glass heads for longevity.

Brings back memories. Akai sure innovated in longevity department in that era.

Back to the deck, I am partial to Otari simply because they still make the units so getting the repaired is easy and you are not dealing with ancient parts. From what I recall, Panasonic destroyed all the spare parts for the Technics years back. We got our Otari used from Ki and it is working great for us. There are other decks with better reputation but to me, the hassle factor is a big deal on mechanical beasts like this :).

I agree, this is a 'virtual' thread though! I don't think anyone has the time or resources to build a deck from scratch, so the question is, IF you had the time or resources, what parts or circuits would you use? What machine would you start with, how would you mod it?

For example, I'd probably start with a Technics 1500 series transport for a 'modern' looking deck. I'd get rid of the soft Technics heads though, and put in Akai glass heads for longevity.

Charlie King put Pro Nortronics heads in my Technics machine and I'm a happy camper :) Know Charlie's preference, as he indicated in another thread, is for Bogen heads. Then of course, there are the JRF extended response heads.

I know that I would have Greg Orton build the heads and John at JRF complete the headstack. I would probably use a pair of modified Ampex MR70 electronics. Now the transport is the question mark.....a Studer A820,but you are limited there,or a complete MR70,or build a full on custom Studer A80. A would lean toward the tricked out MR70,just because I like the electronics. Others have gone to rare and totally custom electronics mated to various transports.....Studer,Stellavox,and Ampex.

It will depend on what level of competence and skills you have. For an entrance quality machine get a Studer/Revox B77/PR99 and modify it. All the detailed technical and maintenance literature is freely available at the Studer site. Existing heads can be re-lapped and the mechanisms and control boards do not use custom ICs or special parts. See the fantastic sounding Sonorus tape recorder, that uses a Studer mechanics with custom electronics and control. http://www.sonorusaudio.com/ATR10_FIF7.html

If you feel confident and are prepared to read technical manuals over an hundred pages get a Studer A80 - the first time you will feel the capstan system moving when you push the start button you will feel you are really a grown up adult in the reel to reel land! :)

As with the other post, if you were to build your own custom reel to reel deck, what custom parts would you use? I'll stay out of this thread, as I've never played with modded anything. Post away, and if you have pictures of what you're talking about, please post them as well. This could be a very educational thread for me at least.
Hi Curt
I am DIYER love to modify amp to use tubes instead of silicon , I did posted with pictures of PR99 A810 A80 in here, maybe you can check it out and I don't have post again, hope that give you some tips
regard tony ma

I have all the parts and boards ready to ship off to Chuck Ziska to build another custom set of 440B electronics. I have added some teflon caps to the record side,as I have one on my present pair and I really like the sound,very open,with great detail. Also almost all of the resistors will be Shinkoh tantalums. I continue to feed the 440 record side into my Accuphase preamp with great enjoyment. I plan to build a 1/2 inch 440 2 track and use these electronics. I really like the 440 platform.

DSCN2497.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing