Cables for new - dCS - Gryphon - Magico - system

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

I finally ordered my system which will be a dCS Bartok / Gryphon Diablo 300 / Magico A3.
I took me a while to settle because I couldn't travel much and audition as I wanted but now the system is on order and coming soon.
I initially was thinking about the essence combo and S1's but the S1's were not in stock and I thought the Diablo might be more playful with the A3's.
I have to thank members of this forum who have been helpful and supportive like Eagle3333 and taww and all of your inputs have been valuable.

I am now facing one of the most critical choice in having to decide for speaker cables.

I'm essentially looking at a few different ones:

-Audioquest - (robin hood silver sc - wind xlr - hurricane pc for the amp and silver cloud for the source)
-Siltech - (770L sc + xlr and siltech pc) however I'm not too sure about their pc
-Shunyata - Alpha 2 series for sc, xlr and pc
-Nordost?

I do not have to possibility to audition them let alone compare them.
I'm also open to new suggestions,

Your inputs are appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: taww

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I use Entreq cables, mainly Apollos, with my three box DCS Scarlatti and YGs.
Work very well together.
Not sure where you are but Entreq HQ will allow you to audition them. If they don't suit you have pay for return shipping which is not unreasonable.
The Apollos IME are the sweet spot in the Entreq range but the Konstantin and Challengers are very well regarded.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Thanks Barry, I will look into it. I'm in France, sadly there are not a lot of resellers around me.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Thanks Barry, I will look into it. I'm in France, sadly there are not a lot of resellers around me.
The cable company, thecableco.com has a lending 'library" for various cables. I have no experience with it, just know of it. Might be helpful

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My 2 cents. Get something like Cardas Clear. It's reasonable and very good. Then after you get settled into your system and get used to it, explore some other options. You may find the Cardas is just fine or it's easily sold.

Reactions: KeithR

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
My 2 cents. Get something like Cardas Clear. It's reasonable and very good. Then after you get settled into your system and get used to it, explore some other options. You may find the Cardas is just fine or it's easily sold.
Thank you. They have 4 in the 'clear' line, the 2.5m pair of 'clear' is like 5/6k euros here.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If your in the EU, I would choose a safe brand that is known in the market. Perhaps Chord, Siltech or Crystal cable. Lots of EU mfg. I believe Gryphon has their own line.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
If your in the EU, I would choose a safe brand that is known in the market. Perhaps Chord, Siltech or Crystal cable. Lots of EU mfg. I believe Gryphon has their own line.
Yes, my thoughts. I'm waiting to hear back on siltech avails / prices.

Does anybody here use Siltech or has experience with their 770 line?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Yes, my thoughts. I'm waiting to hear back on siltech avails / prices.

Does anybody here use Siltech or has experience with their 770 line?
Siltech is pretty expensive in the USA. I believe a few members outside the USA are using Siltech.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
FWIW Audiomarkt currently has two pairs of Entreq speaker cables for sale.
A 2.2m Konstantin Infinity for 1490 euros including two good earth cables and for 2000 euros a 4.4m Challenger. If the Konstantins are long enough for your needs they look good value and a ground box could always be added later.

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
FWIW Audiomarkt currently has two pairs of Entreq speaker cables for sale.
A 2.2m Konstantin Infinity for 1490 euros including two good earth cables and for 2000 euros a 4.4m Challenger. If the Konstantins are long enough for your needs they look good value and a ground box could always be added later.
I need min 2.5m as I'm putting the rack in the room behind
I want to keep my living room uncluttered

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

I finally decided to go for the Siltech 770L loom and spx800 power cables.
I was between these and the shunyata alpha v2, but since I'm in Europe, the Shunyata would have ended up being much more expensive while I'm not sure the performance spread (if any) would justify it.
From what I could gather, Siltech is also very organic and natural sounding, while being fast and extended.
Let's see, I should get everything end of this week.
Thanks for anyone who chimed in! I'll report when I have everything set up

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
Hi Guys,

I finally decided to go for the Siltech 770L loom and spx800 power cables.
I was between these and the shunyata alpha v2, but since I'm in Europe, the Shunyata would have ended up being much more expensive while I'm not sure the performance spread (if any) would justify it.
From what I could gather, Siltech is also very organic and natural sounding, while being fast and extended.
Let's see, I should get everything end of this week.
Thanks for anyone who chimed in! I'll report when I have everything set up

Just caught this thread! Congrats on the terrific new system. how are the cables working out? For balanced interconnect I was going to suggest starting very cheap with Mogami W2534 because it is very neutral, then from there deciding what you need. I’m actually using the Mogami right now with Essence and RME ADI-2 DAC with zero complaints. But sounds like you found a good option in the Siltech.

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Just caught this thread! Congrats on the terrific new system. how are the cables working out? For balanced interconnect I was going to suggest starting very cheap with Mogami W2534 because it is very neutral, then from there deciding what you need. I’m actually using the Mogami right now with Essence and RME ADI-2 DAC with zero complaints. But sounds like you found a good option in the Siltech.
Hi Taww,

Thanks for your message.
I think the system started to really start to shine and become coherent after about 150 hours and after adding a Nucleus + with LPSU.
Since everything was new, I think it's going to take about 5/600 hours to see full potential.

I think the best compliment I can give to the cables is that I don't know they're there.
I can't say how they are in comparison as I haven't tried others.
The magico's seem to be very precise and very reactive to changes and I think the cables allow the components to do their job.
The sound is very fast and dynamic, organic and extended.

I'm going to make a couple more additions to the system and I think in a couple of months I'll have something working real well.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi Guys,

I finally ordered my system which will be a dCS Bartok / Gryphon Diablo 300 / Magico A3.
I took me a while to settle because I couldn't travel much and audition as I wanted but now the system is on order and coming soon.
I initially was thinking about the essence combo and S1's but the S1's were not in stock and I thought the Diablo might be more playful with the A3's.
I have to thank members of this forum who have been helpful and supportive like Eagle3333 and taww and all of your inputs have been valuable.

I am now facing one of the most critical choice in having to decide for speaker cables.

I'm essentially looking at a few different ones:

-Audioquest - (robin hood silver sc - wind xlr - hurricane pc for the amp and silver cloud for the source)
-Siltech - (770L sc + xlr and siltech pc) however I'm not too sure about their pc
-Shunyata - Alpha 2 series for sc, xlr and pc
-Nordost?

I do not have to possibility to audition them let alone compare them.
I'm also open to new suggestions,

Your inputs are appreciated,

Thanks
Hemingway Audio cables are the best I've ever heard at any price - much better than the four listed above.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
"Best" will be different for each individual. All subjective and system dependent.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The ‘problem’ I have had with cables is that every Shunyata cable I have tried worked so great that I have had zero interest in trying another vendor. Now that I am retired, I have no money to try other vendors. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing