Caelin, what's your view on ethernet cables?

ANDRESZ

Oct 14, 2018
Hi Stevebythebay - I have three Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables and one Alpha on my HIFI and HT rig. They are superb and I tested then for a good month in various combinaitons, with other cables as well as the Venom (which is excellent).

I have also tried the EMO 70 e medical isolator which is quite popular but found I didn't need it with the Sigma., Every other cable benefited but not Sigma. That is a step above in Audio and Video in a serious way. I have ordered an Etherregen and it should arrive this week. I have a few Uptone products and they are really good. I am also wondering whether the Etherregen will make a difference. Experience suggests that it will. My current switch is a Cisco 2960 which is the best switch I have heard so far. I use a Shunyata Alpha NR to power it. Will be interested in exchanging impressions.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
As I might have already related my network for local music playback is quite simple Roon Nucleus - Sigma - switch - Sigma - dCS Upsampler - dCS DAC. Started out with some basic switches, moves about 6 mos. ago to the 2960, and received the eR from Uptone about a week ago. You‘re going to love the eR as it’s really a big leap forward.

I have yet to do any experimentation, such as swapping the Sigma following the eR with a Triton, or some other things I have in mind. I have a Transparent wall plug that I’ve used in the past to tame Ethernet but will require more Shunyata cables to test.

According to Alex, at Uptone, they shipped an eR to Shunyata. Not clear how they plan to test but will likely learn from John’s work to further their own designs.

ANDRESZ

Oct 14, 2018
Looking forward to receiving it. I have a Shunyata SIGMA loom - from power cables, BNC, Interconnects and speaker cables. They are extraordinary. It takes a long time to test different configurations. I left a spare ALPHA Ethernet cable plugged into the modem with one end unconnected during a set up and I could hear a difference. That doesn't surprise given the filter config.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Been using the Uptone EtherREGEN switch as a replacement for my Cisco 2960. Quite a jump in performance. Did test using a Shunyata Venom in lieu of Sigma between the switch and dCS Upsampler. Sigma is still quite a bit better. I swapped out the stock power cord of the EtherREGEN switch with the new Venom V14 Digital at the urging of my dealer (I let them audition the EtherREGEN for a few days). Just starting to get a sense as to its benefits. Since all my digital gear is plugged into the Hydra DPC-6 there will likely be less benefit than otherwise.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Been using the Uptone EtherREGEN switch as a replacement for my Cisco 2960. Quite a jump in performance. Did test using a Shunyata Venom in lieu of Sigma between the switch and dCS Upsampler. Sigma is still quite a bit better. I swapped out the stock power cord of the EtherREGEN switch with the new Venom V14 Digital at the urging of my dealer (I let them audition the EtherREGEN for a few days). Just starting to get a sense as to its benefits. Since all my digital gear is plugged into the Hydra DPC-6 there will likely be less benefit than otherwise.

Thanks for commenting on Venom vs Sigma feeding your dCS Upsampler from the ER. I had hoped maybe Sigma wouldn’t matter. But at least I know now there’d be a nice benefit from it. I’m pretty sure it will trounce the WW Starlight that I‘m now using between Zenith and ER.

I hadn’t thought about using a Venom V14 Digital with the ER. I have one here powering my 4K disc player (Xbox One S). I’ll have to try it on the ER.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Reactions: bazelio

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Sorry, no idea about the pachanko aphelion SQ compared to Shunyata. Shunyata recently released the Omega Ethernet as well with a TAP device in addition to Alpha/Sigma's CMode filters.

What differs with Shunyata ethernet cables is the technology in the Alpha/Sigma/Omega lines. I think Pachanko is a bit like the AQ cables, working to perfect the materials and construction in the cables. But not adding any new tech that really takes a leap forward when applied.

I think you will be very pleased with the performance of the Sigma ethernet.

Last edited:

kerisabe

May 23, 2020
Jakarta, Indonesia.
Thank you @crion Hope to hear more feedbacks from the rest. Im still holding my purchase cause I wont be able to try any of them since Im currently away from home and have no access to my system. So your feedbacks would be really useful for the decision making of this purchase.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing