Caelin, what's your view on ethernet cables?

Oct 21, 2012
The two Ethernet Sigma cables arrived today at my dealer, 4 weeks from order placement. So, Indy yours should be coming soon, I'd surmise.

Oct 21, 2012
Been listening and using in the following setup:

Roon Nucleus -> Shunyata Sigma -> Transparent TPM -> WireWorld Starlight 8 -> Cisco 2960 switch -> WireWorld Platinum Starlight 8 -> Transparent TPM -> Shunyata Sigma -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

The pair of Tranparent devices are designed for surge suppression but I've been told that many others have also found the circuitry in the device, by happy coincidence, does a remarkable job of taking noise from upstream and grounding it while passing along the data stream.

FYI: https://www.transparentcable.com/co...protection/products/plug-in-network-protector

What's really remarkable is the absolute quiet as the noise floor drops, revealing everything in the music. And that includes what was not demonstrated during the decay of songs, previous congestion (individual voices in harmony), secondary and tertiary harmonics, deeper as well as wider sound stage and other hall queues. Top to bottom this is a killer product. I will say it's most important in the last run from either a switch (on in my case the TPM) to the DAC (in my case the Upsampler). However adding it, as I've done, to the initial source to downstream devices adds another bump in SQ.

I've yet to swap out the WireWorld cables for a pair of AudioQuest Vodka that I've got on hand to see if they provide better/worse results. Unlike the WireWorld, which are Cat 8 (designed for short run / very high speed) and flat layout, the AudioQuest is Cat7 for slower speeds but is twisted pair . However both use shielding, unlike the Shunyata Cat 6a design and UTP. So, I'm thinking, ideally, of eventually replacing all the intermediary Ethernet with Cat 6a of some manufacture, just to determine if any such cabling alters the sonic results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing