Caelin, what's your view on ethernet cables?

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
Anyone else receive their ethernet cables? I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting.

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Those interested in a review of multiple "audiophile" ethernet cables might want to review Jay Luong's Audiobacon site for his somewhat recent review of cables:

https://audiobacon.net/category/cables/digital/

FWIW, I've been using the SOtM dCBL-CAT7 ethernet for months now into an Innuos Zenith 3 with great results.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
The two Ethernet Sigma cables arrived today at my dealer, 4 weeks from order placement. So, Indy yours should be coming soon, I'd surmise.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Been listening and using in the following setup:

Roon Nucleus -> Shunyata Sigma -> Transparent TPM -> WireWorld Starlight 8 -> Cisco 2960 switch -> WireWorld Platinum Starlight 8 -> Transparent TPM -> Shunyata Sigma -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

The pair of Tranparent devices are designed for surge suppression but I've been told that many others have also found the circuitry in the device, by happy coincidence, does a remarkable job of taking noise from upstream and grounding it while passing along the data stream.

FYI: https://www.transparentcable.com/co...protection/products/plug-in-network-protector

What's really remarkable is the absolute quiet as the noise floor drops, revealing everything in the music. And that includes what was not demonstrated during the decay of songs, previous congestion (individual voices in harmony), secondary and tertiary harmonics, deeper as well as wider sound stage and other hall queues. Top to bottom this is a killer product. I will say it's most important in the last run from either a switch (on in my case the TPM) to the DAC (in my case the Upsampler). However adding it, as I've done, to the initial source to downstream devices adds another bump in SQ.

I've yet to swap out the WireWorld cables for a pair of AudioQuest Vodka that I've got on hand to see if they provide better/worse results. Unlike the WireWorld, which are Cat 8 (designed for short run / very high speed) and flat layout, the AudioQuest is Cat7 for slower speeds but is twisted pair . However both use shielding, unlike the Shunyata Cat 6a design and UTP. So, I'm thinking, ideally, of eventually replacing all the intermediary Ethernet with Cat 6a of some manufacture, just to determine if any such cabling alters the sonic results.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I got my Shunyata Alpha ethernet cable last week. So far so good! It is better sounding than the Nordost Blue Heaven it replaced. It is more neutral, more detailed and quieter than the Nordost. I have another one on order. :)

Reactions: MJB

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I’ve been testing my setup by following Grant Samuelson’s recommendation to reduce the number of connections in my path. That initially had me removing the Transparent TPM from the Roon Nucleus to switch segment followed by doing the same from the switch to dCS Upsampler segment.

Doing so made a huge positive difference without sacrificing the original benefits of noise reduction. It would appear that the Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables really remove all such potential noise. The CMode filters simply work. And it’s likely adding the TPM, and even more so, the Audioquest Ethernet cables into the path, obliterated the benefits of the Precision Matched Impedence to such an extent that the sound was significantly diminished.

Needless to say, the system really sounds great now.

Reactions: goodsource and MJB

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Hi there,

I have a couple of AQ Diamonds here and they have been my references for many years. I would say that the Venom Ethernet compares very favourably. Sigma is a whole new level and I doubt there is much out there that comes close, it’s a massive improvement over other cables in my arsenal. Many are quite shocked when they hear it.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Wondering, now that I’m using a pair of Sigma cables for Roon Nucleus and dCS Upsampler with my switch whether I’d see a similar benefit with replacing existing WireWorld for my WiFi Access Point with the Shunyata. It’s handling internet radio stations, some of which include FLAC CD quality streams. Any testing done for such deployment?

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
Wondering, now that I’m using a pair of Sigma cables for Roon Nucleus and dCS Upsampler with my switch whether I’d see a similar benefit with replacing existing WireWorld for my WiFi Access Point with the Shunyata. It’s handling internet radio stations, some of which include FLAC CD quality streams. Any testing done for such deployment?

Do you mean between the modem and the router? I currently have another Alpha ethernet on order. I will use it between my modem and the router. It will be replacing an Audioquest Cinnamon. I will report back.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Yep, that works. My situation is that I have an Eero mesh network-based WiFi access point wired using a WireWorld first generation Platinum Starlight 8 into my Cisco switch. So, I'm using WiFi from another Eero that's wired into my cable modem to my ISP.

Will be interested in what you find swapping out your Audioquest cable. I have yet to try an Audioquest Vodka that I have on hand to see how different it plays vs the Wireworld, with the existing setup I've described.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Will be receiving Uptone Audio’s newly released EtherREGEN switch next month. I’m curios to see if replacing my Cisco 2960 with this one makes any actual difference, given the dual CMode filters on the two Sigma Ethernet cables I’ve deployed.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
Will be receiving Uptone Audio’s newly released EtherREGEN switch next month. I’m curios to see if replacing my Cisco 2960 with this one makes any actual difference, given the dual CMode filters on the two Sigma Ethernet cables I’ve deployed.
I will also be receiving the EtherRegen next month! It will be replacing a Netgear GS 105. I will report back when I've got it.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

I'll be receiving one as well. I'm very curious if you will still feel the Sigma Ethernet cables bring the same level of improvement once the EtherRegen is in place.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Already know how much the Shunyata cables have done for my system - which is beyond just the common mode noise it takes care of from Nucleus-switch-Upsampler. What I’m expecting are noise reduction for all A-side ports (supporting my WiFi access point specifically) leakage. Completely uncertain as to what benefits, if any, will come otherwise.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I received my second Alpha ethernet cable. It replaced an AQ Cinnamom between my modem and router. I experienced another lift in sound quality listening to Tidal. Clearer sound and better definition.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I received my second Alpha ethernet cable. It replaced an AQ Cinnamom between my modem and router. I experienced another lift in sound quality listening to Tidal. Clearer sound and better definition.

So, how exactly is your first Shunyata Ethernet cable wired? Is it between a player and switch or from the switch to your DAC? Or some other setup?

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
So, how exactly is your first Shunyata Ethernet cable wired? Is it between a player and switch or from the switch to your DAC? Or some other setup?
The first one is between a switch and the streamer DAC.
The whole setup is modem - Alpha Ethernet- router-AQ Forest ethernet (28 feet)-switch. From the switch, it goes to the streamer DAC, a Mac Mini (used as a NAS) and an Apple TV.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Guess I’m a bit confused: what is your “streamer DAC”?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks for the clarification. I’ll likely experiment with both the approach you took at the front of the stream (cable modem to Eero WiFi access point) that’s upstairs, and later at the music system, between the attached Eero to switch. I’m guessing the former will have the greater impact.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing