Can a Technics SL-1200G challenge the state of the art?

Yep, nothing like a bellend for a platter attached directly to a motor to kill those pesky Belt drive tables ..

Not to worry i do have a couple DD myself so do understand the love hate between them all...

:)
JVC Ql 10 and Sony tts 8000 have damped platters - EMT 950 light plastic platter. 33 and 45 rpm ain’t gonna rattle if at all - less moving parts too. You’re getting confused with idlers (even then good designs minimise rumble). Belts do damp vibration but a motor for a belt drive is usually going at say 250rpm - we have both the motor and the platter as separate rotating moving parts. Of course as you go higher up with either drive the way of dealing with the various ‘challenges’ improve. It’s essentially implementation and choice of compromise. My Townshend has a very high torque Berger Lahrs motor - my Amazon has very quiet DC affair using battery power. As I age I have become more timing sensitive hence the draw of the DD.

I’m sorry it (Technics SL-1200G) cannot challenge a very good turntable let alone the state of the art. I really wanted to believe new 1200G to be a great turntable but it isn’t in my opinion. I highly doubt if it’s better than old 1200. SL-1000R isn’t great either in my book. Don’t let the market hype catch you. Sorry.

I’m sorry it (Technics SL-1200G) cannot challenge a very good turntable let alone the state of the art. I really wanted to believe new 1200G to be a great turntable but it isn’t in my opinion. I highly doubt if it’s better than old 1200. SL-1000R isn’t great either in my book. Don’t let the market hype catch you. Sorry.
Yes
Can be very good though. Reminds me of the Denon DL103r. Or a souped up hot hatchback - you can take it so far

Not S.O.T,A , but they did sell 3million & counting
SL1200G2 out later this year

Current generation OJAS modified SL1200G
18-30yr olds & Women not like any hifi show

lisson-gallery.jpg

I purchased an SL-1000R after demoing a number of tables/arms in the sub-$100K range and found it's hard to beat among the many tables I tried.

I don't know why you don't like it, but I'd definitely disagree.

Reactions: hogen
I purchased an SL-1000R after demoing a number of tables/arms in the sub-$100K range and found it's hard to beat among the many tables I tried.

I heard SL-1000 at audio shows, not impressed. I also have SL-1000. It is a good turntable but I prefer well designed and built belt drives. YMMV.

Shows aren't a great environment for auditioning.

I'm never going back to belt drive, I can't imagine why now that cogging's been designed out of direct drives.

Then again I also think idler wheel drive is silly.

Shows aren't a great environment for auditioning.

I'm never going back to belt drive, I can't imagine why now that cogging's been designed out of direct drives.

Then again I also think idler wheel drive is silly.
That’s a fair point. ‘Cogging’ was never as bad as some claimed - it was just an issue with the cheap decks. Speed stability to me and the absence of stylus drag affecting speed is more important to me - I personally have a high torque motor on one belt drive it’s superb but i terms of engineering it ultimately simply changes the cogging resonance going down the belt which in turn acts as a slipper clutch - ie 300rpm vibration down a belt vs at 33rpm. Your choice of compromises

I agree. I think the SL-1000R is very good indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing