Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I'm really pretty impressed with how my stereo sounds. Especially using digital. I am sitting quite near field. But darn. The detail and reaism is off the charts compared to my last room. Its the best my stereo Has been. At least for clarity, balance of tone, frequency extension, bass and impact. The soundstage is wide and well placed. Yet it has little depth. I probably have to move back for that.

Anyhow. This feels like one of those leapfrog moments I have talked of in the past. For the most part, the ststem sounds better than it ever has in the past. That means playing digital on the same equipment in a different room is of higher quality than my vinyl or tape has ever been. That can be interpreted as digital is better than vinyl and tape, depending on the setup. One could argue I have to re-install the vinyl and tape to compare. They should have improved also. Maybe true. But, by resetting the same equipment in a different location has elevated the digital source beyond the capabilitues of the vinyl and tape in a different room.

By this thinking, I could say digital is just as good, if not better than vinyl and tape, depending of the equipment setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing