Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

So the answer to my question is, "yes"? You are using different recordings of different performances to compare systems.
I think that the point being made is about the sound in absolute terms -- not the actual music, etc.
If I understand correctly, in comparing the overall sonic result of an optimised analogue and an optimised digital sytem -- both playing excellent source material -- the analogue will sound superior.
I.e. according to Bonzo, an excellent analogue recording played through a system optimised for analogue, sounds better than an excellent digital recording played through an optimised digital system...

Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75
None of the digitally-sourced MoFi 45RPM Ultradiscs that I ever listened to sounded good. They all sound flat, like elevator musak, no life at all.

You admit here that in a number of cases you didn’t like them. You say Fleetwood Mac Rumors “sucked”. Why don’t you just take a chance here and speculate as to why so many of these expensive state of the art MoFi releases suck?
are you asking that question rhetorically?

likely i did not have my own quality reference pressing already of some of those to compare. but in other cases i did. hard to know the story for each one. and during some periods i might buy a few dozen records and not listen to them for months, or occasionally never.

i posted about how i felt about the Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45 very strongly a decade ago. i had been really looking forward to that one and was very disappointed. even bought a second 45 copy from an alternate pressing plant to see if it was better (it was not). i had a much loved original pressing of Rumours so i was looking for better then that.

Many digital recordings sound "flat and unemotional" and many don't... I'll leave it at that.

One more post - here's an example of a track from that Mosaic box set I was referring to earlier:

You can download it to play it and compare it to whatever version you want/have and let me know whever it sounds "flat and unemotional". If it does, you may want to revisit your "digital system"..

It is from this album:

Here is a previous CD version on Qobuz (there are obviously many others):

are you asking that question rhetorically?

likely i did not have my own quality reference pressing already of some of those to compare. but in other cases i did. hard to know the story for each one. and during some periods i might buy a few dozen records and not listen to them for months, or occasionally never.

i posted about how i felt about the Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45 very strongly a decade ago. i had been really looking forward to that one and was very disappointed. even bought a second 45 copy from an alternate pressing plant to see if it was better (it was not). i had a much loved original pressing of Rumours so i was looking for better then that.
No, not Rhetorically.

You are one of the most experienced contributors on this site. You have an amazing system that most of us could only dream about having. Your considered opinion is what I am seeking, sans considerations of any previous postings (by you or those whom you respect).

MoFi have a long history of cutting vinyl and no one could argue that they don’t know how to make the very best-sounding pressings that the master tape is capable of, no?

Add to that recording at 45RPM, using the absolute best vinyl available and of course the “One Step” process, all designed to make the highest-quality pressings that anyone would be capable of producing.

So why does the original pressing sound so much better than the subsequent MoFi pressing?

MoFi use the finest ingredients and apply their best proven processing techniques. They should sound much better (and they think they should too, hence the higher price you pay for their premium product). The only difference I can find is that while the original pressings were mastered from an analogue master tape, MoFi masters theirs from a DSD file made from the master tape, a digital intermediary step.

Your thoughts?

I think that the point being made is about the sound in absolute terms -- not the actual music, etc.
If I understand correctly, in comparing the overall sonic result of an optimised analogue and an optimised digital sytem -- both playing excellent source material -- the analogue will sound superior.
I.e. according to Bonzo, an excellent analogue recording played through a system optimised for analogue, sounds better than an excellent digital recording played through an optimised digital system...

And this is what Mike tells us his experience is in his system where he reports all formats have been optimized.

No, not Rhetorically.
ok.
You are one of the most experienced contributors on this site. You have an amazing system that most of us could only dream about having. Your considered opinion is what I am seeking, sans considerations of any previous postings (by you or those whom you respect).
thank you for the kind words.
MoFi have a long history of cutting vinyl and no one could argue that they don’t know how to make the very best-sounding pressings that the master tape is capable of, no?

Add to that recording at 45RPM, using the absolute best vinyl available and of course the “One Step” process, all designed to make the highest-quality pressings that anyone would be capable of producing.
So why does the original pressing sound so much better than the subsequent MoFi pressing?
here is my 2013 post about Rumours. the Rumours 45 was not a MFSL pressing.

but an original pressing is done when the tape is most alive, and also the motivation of the mastering engineer is the highest.

we do find cases where re-issues are remarkable, such as many of the original Classic Records early work, and many of the earliest series AP and Music Matters Blue Note 45's. but still the first pressings have the freshest and earliest master tapes which can be a head start. i give the people involved in those projects much credit that they did achieve some great results. sometimes on the level of the original pressings. sometimes just a bit different.

little things like whether the tapes used Dolby or 'Q' sound, and how was that handled in the re-issue. i think the recent Steely Dan 45's from Chad somewhat suffered from that, although 'Gaucho' was much better. but these were 40+ year old tapes.
MoFi use the finest ingredients and apply their best proven processing techniques. They should sound much better (and they think they should too, hence the higher price you pay for their premium product). The only difference I can find is that while the original pressings were mastered from an analogue master tape, MoFi masters theirs from a DSD file made from the master tape, a digital intermediary step.

Your thoughts?
i have all three major MFSL box sets, and all the MFSL original special UHQR's plus plenty of the original series MFSL pressings, and then the later series too. then also the latest, last 10 year pressings from the 'digital step' era. certainly the earlier MOFI pressings are closer as a group, than more recent one's. the more recent non digital step MOFI's are inconsistent. i don't have all of them.

the digital step really should be a stop sign. once lost the musical essence of the tape cannot be recovered. modern native digital recordings mostly turn out to make better pressings as a group than vintage tape sourced digital transfers then mastered to vinyl......to my ear. could be my lifetime musical reference for how it should sound. might be any number of reasons, but somehow the energy balance of those pressings seems more real.

in comparing the overall sonic result of an optimised analogue and an optimised digital sytem -- both playing excellent source material -- the analogue will sound superior.
Yes. This is easy to agree with -- as long as different recordings of different performances are not used to form a conclusion about the specific comparative sonic characteristics of individual components.

Yes. This is easy to agree with -- as long as different recordings of different performances are not used to form a conclusion about the specific comparative sonic characteristics of individual components.

Wow this is such a twist in the objective you are not even following the discussion. Why would someone compare individual tables using different recordings, or different amps using different recordings in the same system. That was never the topic.

Given the cost and rarity of mint versions of some LPs, I think the comparison makes sense, especially for someone who already has a good digital setup.

Mosaic Records, for example, just came out with a CD box set of Bobby Hutcherson's Blue Note recordings, and they state the following:

"The sonic clarity is thrilling. Mastered from hi-res files of the original analog masters by Andreas Meyer. Thanks to current 24 bit/192 hKz technology and dramatic improvement in analog to digital converters, the sound on this set is far superior to any previous CD issues and is astonishingly close to that of audiophile vinyl."

I have the box set, but I don't have the original LPs to compare to. I can say however that the sound quality is high enough that it does not make me want for more. Perhaps I am missing out.
Yes if you listen to vinyl trough ad/da converters you have missed out. ;)

Yes if you listen to vinyl trough ad/da converters you have missed out. ;)

Clearly I must be missing out and should get banned from WBF for even suggesting that it sounds good!

I do find it amusing, however, that when asking someone like "bonzo" to name one CD that sounds good, I get no reply. If the pursuit of "What's Best" means that you can't listen to 90% of the music that's out there, and have to seek the "ultimate pressings" to actually enjoy listening, I find that problematic...if not suspicious.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing