Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Unfortunately, digital is an inherently lossy format, which also produces an inordinately large amount of high frequency distortion.

It also sounds distinctly artificial.

Hi George, I'm genuinely interested in understanding your persepctive. Could you expand on what you think ultimately holds digital audio back, or cite some references that I could read up on?

(I used to own a Pacific Microsonics Model Two, and recall Keith Johnson saying that vinyl had a dynamic range of 120dB, IIRC.)

Thanks.

Mani.

Reactions: Reg19
Off course it was developed by an american in texas lol

I guess it all comes down where you look on the worldwide web .

Can we get some real answers .
Like .... chat gpt where you at ??
As I said the internet is a fickle thing.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
As I said the internet is a fickle thing.

Even its name, I prefer "interweb".

Ok, not really, but it's a thing. Like "internets" ;).

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Wrong!!

LOL WRONG!!!!!!!

All in good humor. o_O o_O :rolleyes:

WHO INVENTED THE INTERNET?​

No one person invented the internet. When networking technology was first developed, a number of scientists and engineers brought their research together to create the ARPANET. Later, other inventors’ creations paved the way for the web as we know it today.

But this guy takes all the credit for it.

1690228849991.png

1690228782498.png

Interesting read about George's (SoundMann) invention. Sounds very plausible!

Reactions: PeterA
Reactions: ScottK and Al M.
Afaik it was invented by scientists at CERN switzerland as a way to communicatie easily with colleges worldwide
They made the warp speed in cern too. not the klingons should be clear:p3-formatOriginal.jpg

Even its name, I prefer "interweb".

Ok, not really, but it's a thing. Like "internets" ;).

My first access to it was in 1985 , i was told then it was around from the early 70’s used by the military to transfer data and information between bases etc ..!

George Mann, inventor of the full spectrum, frequency-modulated optical analog disc format.
Congratulations. It's very unfortunate that it couldn't be realized for the consumer market. I thought a similar concept for Blu-ray when it first came out but just thought not invented or did research etc.

As far as I understand you planned to use a system to convert audio to carrier frequency (FM) I wonder how were you planning to record that carrier frequency to laser disc in analog? It's much harder to do it in analog compared to digital which needs just pits. In analog it will be frequency and amplitude to be buried onto disc and timestamp or other speed keeping signal. It's harder reading frequency and amplitude from laser disc compared to digital. And the manufacturing process is another question like the need for a more precise glass disc cutting laser for FM.
Cd came out as digital to eliminate those problems in the first place and eliminate other problems that vinyl medium has by the expense of introducing unfixable new problems.

I appreciate if you share some details about optical analog disc format regarding those questions.

Reactions: PeterA
Cd came out as digital to eliminate those problems in the first place and eliminate other problems that vinyl medium has by the expense of introducing unfixable new problems.

Unfixable new problems? Which ones?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing