Can one find realism in box speakers that cost less than $150K after experiencing dynamics of horns and horn-type speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Once one hears the startling, life-like dynamics of a horn or horn-type system, the more fake box speakers sound. They may sound good, but just not real once you have that experience and know what's possible in terms of dynamics...The box speaker technologies under $150K sound as slow as molasses to me.

What do you guys think?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Once one hears the startling, life-like dynamics of a horn or horn-type system, the more fake box speakers sound. They may sound good, but just not real once you have that experience and know what's possible in terms of dynamics...The box speaker technologies under $150K sound as slow as molasses to me.

What do you guys think?

Hello Caesar. I have owned box speakers for many years and now horns.

It is very true that very often horn speakers excel with their dynamic abilities - it isn’t surprising based on the laws of physics of course since horn loading drastically increases efficiency.

That said, there are other addictive aspects to some horns presentation that you’ll likely get drawn into more if you start ownership: 1. Musical flow that keeps you engaged and not wanting to flit about; 2. Micro levels of resolution that provide huge insight into the recording that is perceived as musically relevant not “detailed”; 3. Speed of transients and start / stop ability; 4. Tone to die for (please note this only applies to some horns - particularly the vintage horns often excel here but so do *some* current production ones; 5. Seemingly impervious to room acoustical issues - I am cautious here because this isn’t always the case but often they allow quite a lot of placement flexibility and still lock a great image.

Yes once you own horns, it must be very hard returning to normal box speakers imho.

Enjoy.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The box speaker technologies under $150K sound as slow as molasses to me.

What do you guys think?

You're just listening to the wrong box speakers. Both YG (with the right amps) and Wilson can do dynamics incredibly well.

Reactions: shakti and tima

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As stated above... box speakers can be just as dynamic as horns. Granted, it takes more to produce it. Horns can't move the air and load a room like good box speakers can... so there is a trade off.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerD

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
As stated above... box speakers can be just as dynamic as horns. Granted, it takes more to produce it. Horns can't move the air and load a room like good box speakers can... so there is a trade of.

Bruce - I am not sure I understand your comment on moving air and room loading?

Let’s say we have a nightclub (or large room) and want to load that room insanely with heavy bass (Trance) tunes, then almost everyone will select some form of bass scoop (horn loaded bass) to achieve the result. Literally no professional will select direct radiators. Obviously if we want to load humongous spaces, then this applies even further. Fuktion One and Danley being examples.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Horn speakers have dynamics?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce - I am not sure I understand your comment on moving air and room loading?

You can feel when multiple drivers on a box speaker "load" a room when a cartridge starts on the lead in grooves. A horn system will never be able to do this. Their diaphragms are much smaller. Yes, horns can get louder and more dynamic... but they can't move the air and get your pant legs to flapping!! Just ask MikeL

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If it flaps my flab, it's dynamic enough.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You can feel when multiple drivers on a box speaker "load" a room when a cartridge starts on the lead in grooves. A horn system will never be able to do this. Their diaphragms are much smaller. Yes, horns can get louder and more dynamic... but they can't move the air and get your pant legs to flapping!! Just ask MikeL
You can physically feel the air from these bass horns. Don't know if the air is strong enough to flip Marilyn's skirt though. Guess a lady should never enter Mike's listening room wearing a short skirt. :D

445C1CB9-A281-4F2E-9C33-7B9C0F4E1B26.jpeg

Tang

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
"You can feel when multiple drivers on a box speaker "load" a room when a cartridge starts on the lead in grooves. A horn system will never be able to do this. Their diaphragms are much smaller. Yes, horns can get louder and more dynamic... but they can't move the air and get your pant legs to flapping!! Just ask MikeL'

OK but that's subsonic noise in a lead in groove. What horns have you listen too? Have you ever listened to horn loaded 15's or 18's in a PRO install?? Forget about making your pants flap it's full body message! In a domestic situation you don't have the room typically but there are still smaller horn set-ups that will give box systems a run for their money.

Rob :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As stated above... box speakers can be just as dynamic as horns. Granted, it takes more to produce it. Horns can't move the air and load a room like good box speakers can... so there is a trade of.

I have heard Volti Rival horn speakers at AXPONA 2017, and I was extremely impressed with the dynamics, apart from the unusual lack of coloration. Yet I don't think my current monitors, Reference 3A Reflector, driven by Octave pre/power, are any less dynamic than those. And their combination with dual JL Audio subs can move some serious air too, at least in my midsized room (24 x 12 x 8.5 ft). There is also no doubt for me that the monitor/ sub combo has even more accurate tone. It's win win all around, as far as I'm concerned.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I nominate the Rockport Technologies Lyra and the VSA Ultra 9 and the YG Sonja 2.3 to answer your question.

Reactions: amadeus

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Bass horns aren't really bass horns unless they're gigantic. All they're doing is forcing a little velocity, most of the time. They might get a bit more SPL in the higher ranges, but nothing too low. It takes just over 3ft of throat to be an actual horn at 80hz, and it gets much longer from there. Really it's about the design of the speaker more than box/fo-horn when it comes to bass. We're talking about different types of drivers, different types of box damping, etc etc. Generally speaker the types of drivers used don't have the excursion to produce huge numbers, however as we all know that ratio flips where horns get much louder than boxes as the frequencies rise.

I won't try to make arguments of dynamics, I don't like systems where things draw too much attention to themselves in an unnatural way.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Have you ever listened to horn loaded 15's or 18's in a PRO install?? Forget about making your pants flap it's full body message! In a domestic situation you don't have the room typically but there are still smaller horn set-ups that will give box systems a run for their money.
Rob :)

I work a few times a year as FOmonitor mix engineer for a live event, so I'm well aware of 15, 18 or even larger horns at a live event. They do not move the air that a dynamic driver will.

And their combination with dual JL Audio subs can move some serious air too, at least in my midsized room (24 x 12 x 8.5 ft). There is also no doubt for me that the monitor/ sub combo has even more accurate tone. It's win win all around, as far as I'm concerned.

I have dual JL Audio subs as well..... that's the air you are feeling.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

headroom, absolute power, and driver surface, corrupts absolutely........or something like that. you get hookup from the first watt.

every molecule in the room get's excited. the tension and leverage of the music is palpable.

ease, authority, flow, scale. sense of the reproductive process is diminished. the system disappears. holodeck time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Would you kindly name some current production horns that yield the tone you enjoy?

You seem to be the only one on this thread trying to use it to investigate something new

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Horns with a tone to die for will sound like crap with a wrong amp. Cannot make a clap with one hand.
Cones also do wonderful tone...for example Zellaton.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tonality may be my strongest characteristic for any speaker, with coherence and dynamic facility coming along. And whatever is the form factor, full range orchestral/symphonic is the gauge for me.

We don't have the array of native horn offerings in the US - at least to my knowledge - that is available elsewhere. And with that seems to come less information than is available for the likes of Wilson, YG, etc. Thus, less exposure. So I ask those more knowledgeable.

I can get a nice pair of box speakers here for under $100k. But a pair of horns that tick the boxes, sound natural and have the level of support I get from Wilson - I don't know what that would be. Maybe Oswald Mills? I'd like to know. Caeser's post poses a challenging question.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing