Capital Audiofest 2023

so “outdated” technology in two rooms has the most realistic sound? So much for the anti-vintage brigade.

Ron really liked piano on the Classic Audio system with the OTLs. I am not sure that is "outdated technology", but it is certainly not mainstream HIEND.

Thanks for your Day 1 wrap up Ron. I enjoyed hearing your impressions.

A $2mm system. lol. No surprise it’s by these jokers.
I was more interested in how it sounded. But now I’m curious about your reference “jokers”?

Reactions: sc53
Ron, thanks for taking the time to give your show impressions. I appreciate the forthrightness regarding your personal listening preferences, but that you keep an open mind about technologies that differ from your preferences.

Isn’t it interesting that the same guys (like Jeff at Highwater Sound) produce great sound year after year, despite different rooms and gear? To me it is proof positive that putting your trust in this select group of individuals when assembling a system remains an excellent shortcut to audio nirvana.

• Wow
Reactions: Another Johnson
Ron, do you notice a difference in the way speaking voices sound in Elliot‘s room versus the other rooms?

I haven't been focusing on that. Most exhibitors in most rooms add some kind of acoustic treatment.

Ron, is my perspective off? It looks like Von Schweikert Audio had the new VR-55 MkII in a smaller room than the Endeavor SE.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing