Capital Audiofest 2023

Hello, Ron and good afternoon to you. Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously through your observations, videos, wrap-ups and commentary. Folks don't actually realize how much work goes into covering an event like this, while actually trying to listen and enjoy the event as well. It is a daunting task and you have outdone yourself over the past three days.

My hat is off to you for providing a bit of insight to those who were not able to make it to this event.

Tom
Thank you for the very kind words, Tom! I really appreciate it!

This afternoon is the first time that I've been able to just relax and walk around and enjoy some music listening!

Reactions: treitz3
Reactions: the sound of Tao
It was great having your boots on the ground, Ron. Appreciate the effort.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Thanks for sharing your time there Ron with the videos. Much appreciated.

I was more interested in how it sounded. But now I’m curious about your reference “jokers”?
any system with $1.3mm in cables and "resonance control" has some serious cajones. the power cords are a paltry *68,000* each for almost $600k of the system's cost!

the speaker itself is all of 180lbs, uses a fancy ribbon tweeter, and a bunch of 4.5" drivers. how does that compute with 550k/pair? notice there is hardly a thing on the cabinet, not unlike Raidho back in the day.

his former company used some suspect sales practices, as many know. there is a reason they sell for 20 cents on the used market.

Reactions: Lagonda
I appreciate your take on the in-room sound Ron but you would need to use a better recording device for me to get any value from the sound clips.

I appreciate your take on the in-room sound Ron but you would need to use a better recording device for me to get any value from the sound clips.
If you would like a better sound clip? You must invest in going there yourself. I understand what you are saying but perhaps you have no clue what he went through to bring you glimpses of the event.

Sorry but not sorry. If you want better? Go yourself.

Tom

Reactions: bonzo75
If you would like a better sound clip? You must invest in going there yourself. I understand what you are saying but perhaps you have no clue what he went through to bring you glimpses of the event.

Sorry but not sorry. If you want better? Go yourself.

Tom
Touchy aren't we? Ron specifically asked for comments and feedback in his wrap up video. Suggest you go lie down in a dark room.

Touchy aren't we? Ron specifically asked for comments and feedback in his wrap up video. Suggest you go lie down in a dark room.
My apologies (somewhat). If you have ever been to an event like this.....and did what he did? I don't believe you would be asking what you did of him.

I'm not being touchy. I am, however, defending what Ron did. What he did was well above what many people would do in his situation. This took a lot of his time and effort to put together (on his part).

I guess what I am saying is this. Be a little bit more respectful (or understanding) of what the man went through to offer what you got.

That said, I will go lie down in a dark room with my loved one and not think about this one iota moving forward.

Tom

Reactions: sc53 and Bobvin
I thought the Von Schweikert 55’s were absolutely wonderful. I spent a long time in that room. The guys were very accommodating as far as musical selections and product queries. The short tutorial on how they dialed in the room was fascinating.

My apologies (somewhat). If you have ever been to an event like this.....and did what he did? I don't believe you would be asking what you did of him.

I'm not being touchy. I am, however, defending what Ron did. What he did was well above what many people would do in his situation. This took a lot of his time and effort to put together (on his part).

I guess what I am saying is this. Be a little bit more respectful (or understanding) of what the man went through to offer what you got.

That said, I will go lie down in a dark room with my loved one and not think about this one iota moving forward.

Tom

Nobody would complain about still photos.

KeithR has done some show/demo reporting with those and some description of the sound, and it was well received. Others have done show reporting through still photos as well, and the reporting was also well liked.

Ron himself has said that "Video sucks".

Some people like the sound-clip videos, some don't. Everyone likes photos, I guess.

As for videos, people have liked Ron's summary videos of the show. I did too. But those were descriptions, not system sound clips. Sometimes old-fashioned descriptions work better.

Reactions: KeithR and Gregadd
I thought the Von Schweikert 55’s were absolutely wonderful. I spent a long time in that room. The guys were very accommodating as far as musical selections and product queries. The short tutorial on how they dialed in the room was fascinating.
Oh :confused: , I wish I had been there to hear the tutorial.

KeithR has done some show/demo reporting with those and some description of the sound, and it was well received. Others have done show reporting through still photos as well, and the reporting was also well liked.

Some people like the sound-clip videos, some don't. Everyone likes photos, I guess.

As for videos, people have liked Ron's summary videos of the show. I did too. But those were descriptions, not system sound clips. Sometimes old-fashioned descriptions work better.
I understand, Al.

I personally think that videos are more visually informative than still photos.

I also think it is nice to hear music on videos, even if the music doesn't offer real insight into the sound of the system (according to us video skeptics).

I published 42 exhibit room videos, and two impression reporting videos. I can cover lots of rooms with YouTube shorts, or I can spend an hour or more in a small number of rooms to really try to understand the sounds of those systems. But I think it's not possible to execute both approaches simultaneously.

Al, I understand your point. Ron asked for feedback. I prefer the short video clips. They give more information then still photos and they supplement the information given by verbal descriptions. I see no downside to these short video clips. If you try to access the quality of the sound from the video clips, that’s a different matter and that is a different discussion. Visually, the short video clips are very worthwhile.

As an aside, I think Ron is no longer in the “videos suck“ camp. He has modified that position with a lot of qualifications and I think now finds some limited value to system videos.

I understand, Al.

I also think it is nice to hear music on videos, even if the music doesn't offer real insight into the sound of the system (according to us video skeptics).

I published 42 exhibit room videos, and two impression reporting videos. I can cover lots of rooms with YouTube shorts, or I can spend an hour or more in a small number of rooms to really try to understand the sounds of those systems. But I think it's not possible to execute both approaches simultaneously.

Instead of one person doing a quick job of all 42, I would prefer 3 or 4 people doing a few each. The sound bites could help understand the room character of some rooms. In a way they will capture how the listener feels in that room. If you are in a room when they have music playing that moves you, or you play your own LP and like it, the video will be longer. If you feel like running out, it will be shorter. Just like posts. We can make out based on a write up when someone really loves a system or is just being polite. Imagine if we said each listening report has to be 300 words only to do equal justice to all.

@Ron Resnick
Did you visit the DejaVu Audio room on the 8th floor?

I understand, Al.

Understood, Ron, and thanks for your efforts!

Hi,

No. I did a video for every room I visited.
Ron, did you visit the Potomac room where I think VSA had the Endeavor SE? If so, what did you think? Don’t worry - no sugar coating needed on my account. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing