Cartridge for VPI Prime Signature

JurisHP

Jan 10, 2022
Hi All--I am trying to decide on a cart for my new TT. My equipment is a McIntosh MC125 amp, C2700 pre-amp, and Focal Kanta 2 speakers. I mainly listen to classic rock. My budget is up to $1,200.00.

I am leaning towards but not tied to:

Dynavector;

Hana;

Ortofon

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

bhjazz

Apr 1, 2022
I'm surprised at the response!

The answer might depend on whether you have the Fatboy Gimbal or the 10" 3D-printed tonearm. If it is the latter, you likely have a medium compliance arm which means most models of the three you mention would work. I have a Prime with the 3D arm and am using the Hana ML and really love it.

Your choice may also include what you are using for a phono preamp. Some times it takes a little bit of reading to get the synergy right. Tell us more about your system.

Cheers!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
On a personal note, I never thought someone would name a tonearm (Fatboy) after me.

Last edited:

Duddley

Fleetwood Sound Owners Group
Apr 16, 2021
I am using an Ortofon Cadenza blue with good results. I wanted the Cadenza Bronze but they were out of stock at the time. The dealer was demoing it with the Ortofon Anna, and that sounded wonderful, but it costs ~$10K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing